Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can not scan documents to server after 5pm

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:29 PM

I am using Windows Server 2012 R2. Using a Sharp MX3110N copier, printer, scanner. During normal business hours there are no problems and everyone can use the scanner and send files wherever. However after 5 pm it gives the error contact administrator and the scanned document will fail to be sent.

I think somehow somewhere there might be a specific time where the network connection to the multipurpose copier is disabled as a possible security setting perhaps. Otherwise I have no idea what could cause this and where this setting could be altered.

The MX3110N has settings where it can be disabled at certain times but I checked these settings already and they are not enabled.

Suggestions on how to proceed?

Edited by AzureDrag0n1, 19 May 2017 - 04:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TechUser01

TechUser01

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:38 PM

Just to rule it out, do you know if the printer is in sleep or standby mode at that time? Sometimes it will appear offline due to that

#3 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:39 AM

Attempting to use the scanner will take it out of sleep mode. I mean you can select the menu to send it to an email or user folder. It is active like normal. It is like there is no network connection.

#4 TechUser01

TechUser01

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:04 PM

Best I came up with is these two possibilities:

1. Do you know (which I assume you do) if the scan to email has a specific user tied to it? We've seen at my work that a specific user was tied to the scan to email and it's set for their work hours and after they left for the day, the scan to email function stopped working.

2. We've seen routers shut off traffic on non-business hours to limit issues with attacks (we had a customer make a rule in the router to stop traffic from 6 PM - 6 AM), which could stop the scan to email from happening.

#5 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:50 PM

I would have thought either switch port access on the switch would limit traffic on that port.

Like Tech said, are you using the email scan function of ftp send? We use filezilla server for our scanner to scan to desktop function.

The only other thing would be a user account used to scan and send to server which has login hours limited to that of business hours in active directory.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 22 May 2017 - 04:50 PM.

#6 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:01 PM

Where would a rule to limit hours exist in a Cisco router?

Also several users are unable to use the scanner after standard work hours. Probably no one can but have not checked every single possible user.

#7 TechUser01

TechUser01

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:33 PM

How do you access your Cisco router? ASDM? SSH or Telnet? 

For the scan to email, how is the scan to email set up? For example, do you have a specific Active Directory account that is designated for it like a fake user called Scan Email?

#8 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:46 PM

How do you access your Cisco router? ASDM? SSH or Telnet? 

For the scan to email, how is the scan to email set up? For example, do you have a specific Active Directory account that is designated for it like a fake user called Scan Email?

Not sure about the cisco router. If I wanted to access it I would just type in the ip address which prompts a log in screen. I have not accessed it in a long time and only to see what settings where in place when I had to fix a different problem from a while ago.

As for the scan to email setup. You log into the scanner with a web browser and access it through an ip address. From there in the address book menu you can add users to send to an email address, fax, ftp, desktop, or network folder. You add an user, label it, what file format you want to send it as, and give it a destination. You can then select this user from a menu when you want to scan something on the machine and send it to the destination you want.

There is no Active Directory account specifically designated for the scanner to my knowledge. There are folders that are used as a destination for the scanner however. It does not matter what the destination and for whom it is. No one seems to be able to use the scanner and send it to any destination after a certain time period. I have not checked every single user however. I think 5 or 6 addresses where checked with different destinations where some where to desktop folders or emails and none of them worked.

Edited by AzureDrag0n1, 26 May 2017 - 03:50 PM.

#9 TechUser01

TechUser01

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:20 PM

If there's no specific user tied to the scanner then AD is not the issue.

This usually doesn't stop without a change to the Cisco but it seems that might not be the case. It seems not to be tied to AD, if there was a user tied to the scanner, any password changes could cause it to stop working. 

Has this always been an issue? If not, was there any changes made recently that you know of that may have triggered this issue?

#10 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:54 PM

If there's no specific user tied to the scanner then AD is not the issue.

This usually doesn't stop without a change to the Cisco but it seems that might not be the case. It seems not to be tied to AD, if there was a user tied to the scanner, any password changes could cause it to stop working. 

Has this always been an issue? If not, was there any changes made recently that you know of that may have triggered this issue?

Not sure if this issue had existed before. Company recently merged with another one so it has been very busy and people had to work late hours. I do not recall anyone using the scanner after works hours before.

Edit: Oh some info that might be useful. When sending an email from the scanner it can only send to emails that are local. You can not send emails outside the network. Company email will work. Yahoo or Google email will not.

Edit 2: I decided to just do a work around in the meantime so it scans to network folder instead of messing with emails and scan to desktop. That works normally.

Edited by AzureDrag0n1, 02 June 2017 - 07:25 PM.

#11 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:24 PM

Just pile up your work for the next day.  Who works after 5PM anyways?  Yeah be one of those guys because I know you are salary.  Just say, I can't and just work on your project when it is available.  Why?  (they do it... you know THEY)  so if they want you to fix it then just call the copier tech in.

#12 jasonemurray

jasonemurray

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:53 PM

Does the scanner have a user account associated with it (to send the files)?  Check the user account for login restrictions (time).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users