Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't stop shutting down

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Newbietroubles

Newbietroubles

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:35 PM

So as I mentioned above, my computer has been shutting down seemingly randomly on me. All the fans are working, the nothing appears to be overheating, and I've already tested the wall outlet with no results. The computer is a 5 year old home-built PC, and the ex who helped me build it is no longer available to help troubleshoot. I'm definitely a newbie when it comes to computers. From what I can tell on the event viewer, a program called Cisco has been causing issues, so I deleted it. However, I see that I'm still having issues with a service control manager (?), and kernelpower (?). Not sure what any of this means, but I can see that I've been having a lot of critical issues and errors going on related to this. I've attached some screen shots from the event viewer. Any help would be appreciated! Remember I'm a newb, so please be detailed and let me know if i need to provide further info ~ Newbietroubles

83pUShz.png

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 20 May 2017 - 04:37 PM.
Moved from 'All other applicatiions' to Win 7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 4,681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:09 PM

In my experience problems with an application, such as you list, may cause the application to crash but will very seldom cause the computer to shutdown. I believe this problem would be bettere dealt with in either the 'Internal hardware' or the relvant OS section of BC.

I appreciate you didn't build this computer but could you tell us what OS, and version if possible, you are running on it. And if you can run 'Speccy' and publish the report that would be a great help. Speccy is a free download from BC, you can get it here -

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

Download it and run it. When it is finished you can obtain a URL from it. Copy and paste the URL into your next post, and only the URL - please don't post a screenshot or paste the report as a text file. This two images will show you how to obtain the URL.

speccy-log-image-1.jpg

speccy-log-image-2.jpg

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Newbietroubles

Newbietroubles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:57 PM

I think you're right about the Internal Hardware section, I wish I'd posted it there. Is it possible to get the thread moved?

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate. Heres the speccy info:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/5tjh65czppUjNrbW55286at

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 4,681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:17 PM

You will see that I have moved your topic to the Win 7 section. I am not 100% convinced that it will stay here but I see nothing in the Speccy report to suggest a hardware problem. Your temperatures are nominal, your hard drive has an unbroken string of 'good' SMART characteristics.

One point that did jump up and hit me - your computer does not seem to have received any MS updates since 11/4/2016. I take this to be the 4th of November 2016 as I think Speccy uses American notation for the date. I would write that date as 4/11/2016 !  This needs to be corrected.

Click 'Start', then 'Control panel'. When the control panel opens select 'View by small icons' up in the top right corner if it is not already in this view, it is a far more accessible view than the default. Then click 'Windows update', this will open the update panel. You will see a box in the middle of the screen. If it says 'There are 'n' updates ready to be installed' then click the 'Install' button and let them install - leave the computer running and connected to the internet.

If there are no pending updates showing then, at the upper left hand side of the screen, click on 'Change settings'. This opens another screen which should say either 'Install updates automatically' (preferred) or 'Check for updates but let me choose . . ' (if you are willing to do some of the work yourself). If it says anything other than either of these then change it, preferably to 'Automatically'. To change the setting click on the little down pointing arrow at the end of the box and select 'Automatically' from the list of four choices.

Then use the back arrow, in the top left corner, to return to the Windows update screen and click 'Check for updates' which is immediately above the 'Cchange settings' button. the updates should then download and install. The computer may ask for a re-boot after this. If it does, do so.

If there are a bunch of updates waiting to be installed then give it a couple of days after you install them and if you are still having the same problems, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Newbietroubles

Newbietroubles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:06 PM

There were no updates waiting to be installed, and it was already set to automatically update. So i hit the Check for Updates button, and it'll say "checking for updates" for hours. It never actually finishes searching for updates. This has happened multiple times. I'm currently working with a windows troubleshooter program, but it'd doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 52,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted Yesterday, 06:53 AM

Kernel power BSODs are typically BSOD/hardware issues that I move to the BSOD forum.  More Info.

I suggest that you initiate a new topic in the BC BSOD forum for further investigation of those, following the guidance at BC BSODs Posting Instructions - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/ .

The Win 7 update problem is adequately chronicled within various posts in this forum...sorry but I don't have a specific topic that would serve as a guide.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, Yesterday, 08:54 AM.

#7 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted Yesterday, 07:28 AM

PC Shutting Down Issues  - Check also for any Bios Updates.

Windows Update Issues - Waiting Forever as Hamluis stated multiple Posts within BC , or you can try these Options to rectify from....

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/91738-windows-update-reset.html

Otherwise continue any Instructions for the avcpnagent error at hand.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users