Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't stop shutting down

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Newbietroubles

Newbietroubles

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:35 PM

So as I mentioned above, my computer has been shutting down seemingly randomly on me. All the fans are working, the nothing appears to be overheating, and I've already tested the wall outlet with no results. The computer is a 5 year old home-built PC, and the ex who helped me build it is no longer available to help troubleshoot. I'm definitely a newbie when it comes to computers. From what I can tell on the event viewer, a program called Cisco has been causing issues, so I deleted it. However, I see that I'm still having issues with a service control manager (?), and kernelpower (?). Not sure what any of this means, but I can see that I've been having a lot of critical issues and errors going on related to this. I've attached some screen shots from the event viewer. Any help would be appreciated! Remember I'm a newb, so please be detailed and let me know if i need to provide further info ~ Newbietroubles

83pUShz.png

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 20 May 2017 - 04:37 PM.
Moved from 'All other applicatiions' to Win 7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:09 PM

In my experience problems with an application, such as you list, may cause the application to crash but will very seldom cause the computer to shutdown. I believe this problem would be bettere dealt with in either the 'Internal hardware' or the relvant OS section of BC.

I appreciate you didn't build this computer but could you tell us what OS, and version if possible, you are running on it. And if you can run 'Speccy' and publish the report that would be a great help. Speccy is a free download from BC, you can get it here -

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

Download it and run it. When it is finished you can obtain a URL from it. Copy and paste the URL into your next post, and only the URL - please don't post a screenshot or paste the report as a text file. This two images will show you how to obtain the URL.

speccy-log-image-1.jpg

speccy-log-image-2.jpg

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Newbietroubles

Newbietroubles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:57 PM

I think you're right about the Internal Hardware section, I wish I'd posted it there. Is it possible to get the thread moved?

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate. Heres the speccy info:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/5tjh65czppUjNrbW55286at

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,447 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:17 PM

You will see that I have moved your topic to the Win 7 section. I am not 100% convinced that it will stay here but I see nothing in the Speccy report to suggest a hardware problem. Your temperatures are nominal, your hard drive has an unbroken string of 'good' SMART characteristics.

One point that did jump up and hit me - your computer does not seem to have received any MS updates since 11/4/2016. I take this to be the 4th of November 2016 as I think Speccy uses American notation for the date. I would write that date as 4/11/2016 !  This needs to be corrected.

Click 'Start', then 'Control panel'. When the control panel opens select 'View by small icons' up in the top right corner if it is not already in this view, it is a far more accessible view than the default. Then click 'Windows update', this will open the update panel. You will see a box in the middle of the screen. If it says 'There are 'n' updates ready to be installed' then click the 'Install' button and let them install - leave the computer running and connected to the internet.

If there are no pending updates showing then, at the upper left hand side of the screen, click on 'Change settings'. This opens another screen which should say either 'Install updates automatically' (preferred) or 'Check for updates but let me choose . . ' (if you are willing to do some of the work yourself). If it says anything other than either of these then change it, preferably to 'Automatically'. To change the setting click on the little down pointing arrow at the end of the box and select 'Automatically' from the list of four choices.

Then use the back arrow, in the top left corner, to return to the Windows update screen and click 'Check for updates' which is immediately above the 'Cchange settings' button. the updates should then download and install. The computer may ask for a re-boot after this. If it does, do so.

If there are a bunch of updates waiting to be installed then give it a couple of days after you install them and if you are still having the same problems, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Newbietroubles

Newbietroubles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:06 PM

There were no updates waiting to be installed, and it was already set to automatically update. So i hit the Check for Updates button, and it'll say "checking for updates" for hours. It never actually finishes searching for updates. This has happened multiple times. I'm currently working with a windows troubleshooter program, but it'd doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:53 AM

Kernel power BSODs are typically BSOD/hardware issues that I move to the BSOD forum.  More Info.

I suggest that you initiate a new topic in the BC BSOD forum for further investigation of those, following the guidance at BC BSODs Posting Instructions - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/ .

The Win 7 update problem is adequately chronicled within various posts in this forum...sorry but I don't have a specific topic that would serve as a guide.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 May 2017 - 08:54 AM.

#7 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:28 AM

PC Shutting Down Issues  - Check also for any Bios Updates.

Windows Update Issues - Waiting Forever as Hamluis stated multiple Posts within BC , or you can try these Options to rectify from....

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/91738-windows-update-reset.html

Otherwise continue any Instructions for the avcpnagent error at hand.

#8 Newbietroubles

Newbietroubles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:25 PM

Thank you all for the advise, I won't be able to try any of it until my weekend. Long work hours. I'll post back with updates in a few days. Thanks again!

#9 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:15 PM

From my experience, some versions of windows shut down when something overheats.

#10 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:25 PM

Thank you all for the advise, I won't be able to try any of it until my weekend. Long work hours. I'll post back with updates in a few days. Thanks again!

Attached File  volts.jpg   76.49KB   0 downloads

3rd Party ("Speccy", in this case) reporting softwares are not considered as reliable as what is reported in BIOS, so you will need to confirm these readings in BIOS before continuing, but if this is accurate, it's condemnatory.  Your Power Supply looks really, really BAD.  Post the manufacturer, model and rated power output here, so that people can determine whether or not these horrific voltages are what would be expected (of a poor quality PSU), or if they are in error, for example if you have a high-quality PSU it makes voltages like these less-likely to be accurate.

Also I am suspicious of your "acvpnagent" software.  Coupled with the notion of an "ex-", I would wonder if someone is using this remote access software to access, or hack, into your computer.  A full investigation into the legitimacy of this software needs to be done, in order to determine if it's legit, and is being used in a legitimate way.  Example you might use the software to connect to a work or university network (legit), or the "ex" might be trying to use it to hack into your computer (not legit).  Either way, we need to know because it is centrally involved in your errors.  It's files may have been corrupted by the bad voltages, and after the PSU is replaced, the software may need to be uninstalled and reinstalled.  there may be other softwares that have been corrupted due to the bad voltages and they also may need to be reinstalled.

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,447 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:05 AM

Oops !  Sorry, I missed that bit and I thought I had had a careful look at the Speccy report. Thanks for pickiing up on it Aaron_warrior.

That definitely needs investigating. As an example the voltages from my ASUS A88X-Pro are as follow -

Design      Actual

+5V           5.000V

+3.3V        3.376V

12V           12.228V

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 25 May 2017 - 09:07 AM.

#12 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:13 PM

Oops !  Sorry, I missed that bit and I thought I had had a careful look at the Speccy report. Thanks for pickiing up on it Aaron_warrior.

That definitely needs investigating. As an example the voltages from my ASUS A88X-Pro are as follow -

Design      Actual

+5V           5.000V

+3.3V        3.376V

12V           12.228V

Chris Cosgrove

Huh that's weird.

I just had a bit of back & forth from a guy here about this very thing, where 3rd party software shows voltages are bad while BIOS says they are good.

Now, for you, I wonder if both are true.  Maybe with no load in BIOS your voltages are good, but during normal operation they "droop" ( <--- Good, technical word there.)  Drooping is bad.  You DO want to focus on this and find out if the Speccy report is wrong, or if your voltages really are that bad.  Tolerance for voltages is 10%; anything outside that is BAD.

#13 mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:50 AM

Out of curiosity when you say the computer shuts down do you mean it shuts down automatically, it turns completely off without warning, or the screens go black but the computer remains on and the fans are spinning ?

and one more question.

Does your computer have problems staying asleep ie will it wake up randomly for no reason when in sleep mode / hibernate

Edited by mikeloeven, 26 May 2017 - 03:53 AM.

#14 Newbietroubles

Newbietroubles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:08 PM

So, I don’t know how it happened, but windows finally found 71 updates that have been “preparing to install” for about an hour now. What a relief!

Mikeloeven – When I say the computer shuts down, I mean it turns off completely without warning. I actually have the computer set so that it never sleeps, but the display will shut off after 1 hour. I have an old graphics card that scrambles the picture if the computer sleeps. Still, the computer usually shuts down unexpectedly while I’m using it, not during periods of inactivity.

Aaron_Warrior – Included below is the PSU info you asked for and the BIOS version. I’m gunna wait to post my actual BIOS voltages until these Windows updates finish installing, don’t want to interrupt that to reboot for BIOS. As for the issue of my ex hacking my computer, I think its pretty unlikely, as he and I have had no contact for several years. I think it could be one of two things: I know I recently had to download something so that an iTunes help agent could see my screens to diagnose a different issue. Perhaps this is the remote access software? Though I can’t seem to find it now. Or it could be that I’ve been using Cisco to connect to my work network. As I mentioned in my original post, I’ve tried to delete it, but its possible I may not have deleted everything. Is there anything I can do to make sure?

BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. F3, 5/24/2013

SMBIOS Version 2.7

Power Supply Manufacturer: Rosewill

Model: CAPSTONE-650

Type: Type: ATX12V v2.31 & EPS12V v2.92

(Bought in 2014, btw. So my computer isn’t as old as I thought it was.)

And I’m not sure how to find the rated power output, but this is what I could find from the product specs on newegg:

Maximum power: Continuous 650W @ 50 degree C

Output: +3.3V@24A, +5V@22A, +12V@54A, -12V@0.5A, +5VSB@3A

Hope this helps.

Also, I was looking into BIOS updates, and Gigabyte is strongly advising against something called flashing BIOS. Any advise on this?

BIOS voltages coming as soon as windows updates!

Thanks!

#15 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:47 PM

So, I don’t know how it happened, but windows finally found 71 updates that have been “preparing to install” for about an hour now. What a relief!

Mikeloeven – When I say the computer shuts down, I mean it turns off completely without warning. I actually have the computer set so that it never sleeps, but the display will shut off after 1 hour. I have an old graphics card that scrambles the picture if the computer sleeps. Still, the computer usually shuts down unexpectedly while I’m using it, not during periods of inactivity.

Aaron_Warrior – Included below is the PSU info you asked for and the BIOS version. I’m gunna wait to post my actual BIOS voltages until these Windows updates finish installing, don’t want to interrupt that to reboot for BIOS. As for the issue of my ex hacking my computer, I think its pretty unlikely, as he and I have had no contact for several years. I think it could be one of two things: I know I recently had to download something so that an iTunes help agent could see my screens to diagnose a different issue. Perhaps this is the remote access software? Though I can’t seem to find it now. Or it could be that I’ve been using Cisco to connect to my work network. As I mentioned in my original post, I’ve tried to delete it, but its possible I may not have deleted everything. Is there anything I can do to make sure?

BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. F3, 5/24/2013

SMBIOS Version 2.7

Power Supply Manufacturer: Rosewill

Model: CAPSTONE-650

Type: Type: ATX12V v2.31 & EPS12V v2.92

(Bought in 2014, btw. So my computer isn’t as old as I thought it was.)

And I’m not sure how to find the rated power output, but this is what I could find from the product specs on newegg:

Maximum power: Continuous 650W @ 50 degree C

Output: +3.3V@24A, +5V@22A, +12V@54A, -12V@0.5A, +5VSB@3A

Hope this helps.

Also, I was looking into BIOS updates, and Gigabyte is strongly advising against something called flashing BIOS. Any advise on this?

BIOS voltages coming as soon as windows updates!

Thanks!

Rosewill is the NewEgg "house brand" and it's okay.  Not great, but not horrible either.  I wouldn't be surprised if that PSU isn't an Antec or a SeaSonic with a Rosewill label on it, because they do that sort of thing, too.

So given that the PSU's brand is reputable, we don't have to look HARD at it, assuming the worst from a crappy, no-name PSU.  But it could still be bad.  We'll know more after 1)  Report on voltages as displayed in BIOS and 2) Report voltages and temps when computer is under load (saying playing a video or two simultaneously.  Remember we're looking for "droop" under load. 650 Watts seems pretty adequate too.

Updating/Flashing BIOS is a mixed bag. In some cases, it will fix things.  In most cases, it should be a solution of last resort, because it is entirely possible that a BIOS flash will fail and brick the machine forever.  Chances are low that this will happen, but if you are the 1 in 1,000 that bricks your machine, how RARE that occurs isn't going to mean anything to you.

So don't flash/update your BIOS unless there's a compelling reason to do so, and/or you've tried every other option.  Although I'm curious about this "Gigabyte" warning (or whatever it is) because I'm pretty sure Gigabyte's BIOS has a back-up in case the flash goes wrong.  I think it reverts to the old one instead of bricking the machine.  It's been a while.  Maybe that's Asus and not Gigabyte. So you should research that whole warning thing in greater detail as it feels a bit "off" to me as I read it here, now.

If your voltages are within specs both in BIOS and under load in Windows, you should run chkdsk at least twice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users