Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Change The Oil

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bobschip

bobschip

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:42 PM

Hi all.
I used to teach automobile mechanics at the secondary level back in the 60's and did a pretty good job of it. Then in the mid 80's I bought a car that I could not even find the oil filter, let alone change it. Had to take it to the garage to have the oil changed. Geeeesssss, I can no longer take care of my own needs. Now fast forward and I have a PC. Started using one before windows was around and when that software came out for the life of me I could not figure why you need windows and plus it kept crashing. Now for the PC windows is the only game in town for me. But now I need help again because I can't find anything or do anything. Time Marches On and I am stuck some where in the past. Reading all the manuals to get a program like Excell to work for me was a painstaking task but managed thru it. However, with this virus problem, rootkit, trojan, spystuff, I took preventative measures and took it to the garage (virus protection etc.) but using my providers web sight and tech assistance is like walking in a circle at 80 MPH. Hopefully by utilizing the knowledge of well informed on this forum I can learn how to change my own oil and hopefully get this baby out of the garage. This machine has been in the bay far too long\
Thanks for your time,
bobschip

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:55 PM

A very good way to begin your self-instruction is to read some of the very good Tutorials; most of these are written for the average user, and there are many that cover computer security as well as the use of some of the well-known applications. Remember than an educated user is the best defence against malware infections.
For quick "how-to's" check the mini guides forum.
Changing the oil for computers means some form of scheduled maintenance, the frequency depending on your usage. You could do worse than look at the "slow computer checklist" to get some insight on some of the maintenance activities:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

Naturally, don't hesitate to post---even if you think the subject is elementary---a question or about a problem you are having. All of us here are users, and began knowing almost nothing about computers ourselves.
Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users