Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 TexasJustice

TexasJustice

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:58 PM

Hi.  So I have decided to upgrade an older computer of mine both for fun, practice, and to make it run faster in general.  I typically just use it for downloading files.  I'm definitely not looking to put any real money into it, but if I can do some upgrades on the cheap, then so be it. For instance, I just upgraded the ram from 1GB to 4GB which is the max it will support, payed out about 10 bucks.

I currently want to put in the best CPU the motherboard can take, without upgrading my motherboard.  Here is what I know and am thinking.

The computer is a Compaq Presario SR5410F Desktop

I have a MSI MS-7525 Ver:1.0 (Boston-GL6) motherboard.

I found one site that says I can have the following CPU's:

Intel Core 2 Duo (Conroe, Allendale)
    Intel Pentium Dual-Core (Allendale)
    Intel Pentium D (Smithfield, Presler)
    Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition (Gallatin, Prescott 2M)
    Intel Pentium 4 (Prescott, Prescott 2M, Cedar Mill)
    Intel Celeron Dual-Core (Allendale)
    Intel Celeron (Conroe-L)

HP's site says this:

Core 2 Duo E7xxx (Wolfdale-M)
    Core 2 Duo E4x00 (Conroe)
    Pentium E2xxx series (Conroe)
    Celeron Dual Core E1xx0 series (Conroe)
    Celeron 4xx series (Conroe)

Is the Core 2 Duo E7600 3.06Ghz (Wolfdale 3-M) the fastest I can put on this motherboard, if it can even go on at all.  I think it can.  I currently have Core 2 Duo E2160 1.8Ghz. (Allendale)  Would I need to upgrade the cpu fan, or do you think that the stock cooler fan this computer came with would be ok enough despite the upgrade?  Do I need to apply some Thermal Paste when changing it out? (I have never upgraded just a CPU before.)  As I would be only upgrading the CPU and not the motherboard, can I  just stick the new CPU into my motherboard and boot it on up, nothing else to do?

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TexasJustice

TexasJustice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:41 PM

Some more info in case this helps.

Website that has the info on my PC as it came.  I have upgraded the memory to 4GB, although it will only at this time use 2.75GB of it for some reason, and I added in years ago a 512 video card.  Clearly this is no gaming machine.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/Compaq-Presario-SR5000-Desktop-PC-series/3686675/model/3686676/document/c01374067/

Wikipedia on the CPU's:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_2_microprocessors#Core_2_Duo

HP Documentation for my motherboard:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01386897

A website that has info on my motherboard:
http://soggi.eu/motherboards/msi-oem/MS-7525-VER-1.0-Boston-GL6.htm

This website acts like a bunch of processors will fit in it, like quad cores, but does that mean they will work?  I'm not to sure about it.:
http://www.game-debate.com/motherboard/index.php?mot_id=1469&cpuList=MSI%20MS-7525

I can currently get a Core 2 Duo E7600 3.06Ghz for like 5 bucks on Ebay.

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:26 AM

Quad cores may work but motherboard VRM is not probably good enough for them. You may still try though.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:52 AM

This website acts like a bunch of processors will fit in it, like quad cores, but does that mean they will work?  I'm not to sure about it.:
http://www.game-debate.com/motherboard/index.php?mot_id=1469&cpuList=MSI%20MS-7525

I can currently get a Core 2 Duo E7600 3.06Ghz for like 5 bucks on Ebay.

Hi, I wouldn't take game-debate as a definitive source of information of this kind.  What they are saying is that those CPU's will physically fit the processor socket.  That is not enough.  The processor has to also a) be supported by the motherboard BIOS in order to be recognised and B) be within the motherboards power limits.  However I think the information provided by HP themselves is more likely to be definitive.

$5 for that processor sounds like a good deal, and it seems likely it will be compatible.  I doubt any quad core would work.  You may have to do a BIOS update prior to upgrading, if not running the latest BIOS.

The standard cooler should be OK. Clean it up, and remove old thermal paste with alcohol before applying new.  The best method for applying new thermal compound is to put a small pea sized blob in the middle of the processor and then just fit the cooler, which allows the pressure to distribute the compound where it needs to go.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 TexasJustice

TexasJustice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:01 PM

So then if we take what the HP site says...

Core 2 Duo E7xxx (Wolfdale-M)
    Core 2 Duo E4x00 (Conroe)
    Pentium E2xxx series (Conroe)
    Celeron Dual Core E1xx0 series (Conroe)
    Celeron 4xx series (Conroe)

AND look it up on Wiki...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_2_microprocessors#Core_2_Duo

Then am I correct in saying that not only will the Core 2 Duo E7600 3.06Ghz work on my motherboard, but that it is the fastest CPU that I can put into it?

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:30 PM

Assuming HP's list is exactly right, then yes. But many other CPU's may also work.

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,877 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:41 PM

Well you could also toss a SSD into it, I mean its a older CPU generation so dont expect performance to be that great from what you have.

As for your question on why you cannot see all of your RAM I guess you have a 32bit OS installed.

I gather its Vista?

Yeah dump that, if you dont want to spend any amount of money on it I would suggest linux if Vista is its installed OS as Vista is out of support now.

If Windows 7 I would try to reinstall it if you have the key and go 64bit

Edited by MadmanRB, 20 May 2017 - 10:43 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:34 AM

HP/Compaq computers differs from others in one way, some type of microcode 'softpaq' has to be installed (in the form of a BIOS upgrade) to upgrade to certain CPU's, even if these physically fits. :(

That's why I don't want anymore of the brand, too picky about much everything, especially anything built in the last 10 years, to an extent, the same goes for IBM/Lenovo, all brands has one thing in common, the internal wireless card cannot be replaced with regular Intel branded ones, these must be one of their modded ones. CPU's not so bad, except for the microcode updates that HP/Compaq requires. 

To make matters worse for those looking for information, the site has been split & hard to navigate, many Google links found are dead ends, one lands on the main HP website page instead. Still, with some effort, one may find their computer, and any required updates for CPU upgrades, as well as the latest BIOS/UEFI firmware that'll surely be required for any such components. 

Have one myself that was running perfectly, until I installed the latest stable release of W10 a few months to a year back, while it ran the Previews fine, don't know what happened, other than when it was 100% ready & showed the Windows 10 desktop, then the lights went out.......for good. Have tried several times in vain to rescue the BIOS, almost had it once (setting were showing), then went out again. Gave up & have yet to try again, maybe I will at some point, if all fails, will tear down & save every screw & fastener that I can & scrap the rest. Am not going to purchase a replacement MB, the same will happen again in a matter of time. 

Looks like you have plenty of advise to work with, mainly I wanted to confirm that the HP's of the last 10 years aren't the same was those long in the past, to beware of any softpaqs needed.

Good Luck with your project, I hope it turns out the way you want. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,877 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:43 AM

Yes Cat you have a point in that the system may not take the CPU, I mean yes try it but prepare the thermal paste and cooler just in case.

If the processor change doesn't work then if you dont want to spend more money go the linux route as I suggested and just nuke the hard drive of everything you dont want and back things what you want up.

And cheating with a SSD isnt a bad idea though SSD's are pricey again if you want anything over 120GB

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:02 PM

Well...I don't think any modification is going to make the system...faster at downloading anything...since that's governed by your Internet connectivity.

If your typical use is for "downloading files", I would be dubious about hardware changes that don't address connectiivty...unless you intend to do something other than what you cited as the primary use of said system.

Louis

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,877 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:08 PM

Still though the processor is cheap enough and its still worth a try.

The core 2 dual line may be old but it has a few tricks left, it makes a very good streaming media PC processor

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#12 TexasJustice

TexasJustice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:03 PM

Thanks for all the advice everyone.  

If I'm correct, putting in the wrong CPU wouldn't hurt my system, it just wouldn't start up, right?

As far as putting in a SSD goes, this system isn't worth it.  Even though there is nothing wrong with it, and it is actually a very capable machine, I was just looking to do some very light, and very cheap upgrades.  I have better machines that I use for other stuff and am going to work on next, and later this year I"m going to build a new system from the ground up.  Something really nice with lot's of Ram, SSD card, ect.  Something that will hold up well for the next five to ten years.  I just thought that if I could make this PC run faster for under twenty bucks, then why not.  Plus, I figured it is an easy way to learn a few new things about upgrading computers.

I'm actually running XP on this system.  It did come with Vista, but I downgraded it immediately.  I' rather use an Altair 8800 running basic then use Vista.  I know that XP isn't supported anymore, but I don't use this machine for anything critical, nor do I keep anything critical on it, and I always have up to date antivirus on it.  Just some downloading and messing around with low end or older games.  The truth is, I don't know if Windows 10 would run very well on it. What do you all think?  

Concerning Linux, I have never used it and really wasn't planning on ever trying it, but as of this very second, I guess maybe some time six months or so down the road I could give it a whirl.  Just to see what I think of it.  I mean hey, it's free, so why not.

On the ram thing, yes my machine is a 32 bit, but I'm surprised that I"m not able to utilize more then 2.75GB.  I've read that the integrated video is going to leach some of it, but I have a GeForce 210 512mb video card in it and so isn't that is supposed to help?  From what little I have read and understand, I might need to tweak some settings somehow to utilize more.  I"m not fully sure just what I need to tweak, but I really believe I should be utilizing more of the ram.  Having said that, up until a few days ago I only using 1gb in it, so 2.75 at this point is absolutely noticeably better.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-210/features  

I will say that this has been a very good machine to me considering I inherited it for free.  The truth is, while  70% of it's use is downloading or web surfing, I do use it for other things like playing some low end or older games, or even some light video encoding when time is not of the essence, so I don't' feel that putting twenty bucks into it is wasted.  It actually plays games like Medieval Rome really well.  It has been a rock solid computer for what it is.  I would hate to have to put it off to the side for no good reason.  Maybe in the next year I will hook it up to a TV and use it as some sort of multimedia device or something.  

I did look up my current processor on Ebay though.  You can buy one for $1.79 now.  LOL

#13 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,877 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:36 PM

Nah I get it resurrecting a old PC and seeing what you can do with it is indeed a cool thing to do.

Actually this is why I mentioned Linux as its usually good at handling old hardware compared to newer versions of windows.

Do give linux a try sometime when you are willing to though honestly Linux isnt as hard as people may say it is.

Its just different than windows thats all and using linux is certainly better than running a unsupported OS.

You can actually try linux without installing it actually as Linux usually comes on Live images meaning that you can use the OS without it even touching your files and settings and it wont do anything to your machines until you decide to use the installer.

You can even try linux under windows using a virtual machine, virtualbox and VMware can run linux inside of a windows OS without it doing anything to windows.

This is why I like it so much of course but hey its up to you if you want to give it a gander.

For the new linux user I say try Linux mint as it has a user interface similar to windows and any windows user can use it.

https://www.linuxmint.com/

There are videos about it too showing off the Linux mint desktop giving you an idea what to expect.

For its main edition you have this:

For its MATE edition (better for older hardware) there is this:

Mint has other nice options to try because unlike windows you can choose how it looks and feels :D

Edited by MadmanRB, 21 May 2017 - 05:39 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#14 TexasJustice

TexasJustice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:02 PM

Thanks Madman.  That looks pretty good.  This HP of mine has two 2TB HD's in it and I am right now clearing them of files to an external HD so I can re install my OS and start fresh again, and now I think maybe on one of them I will do a partition for a duel boot on one of them and try out the Mate Edition.  I mean why not, right.

Any partition software recommendations, free or paid?  It's been a good fifteen years since I partitioned and duel booted an HD.  I think it was Windows 98 and XP. 

#15 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,877 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:09 PM

Actually linux often comes with a partition editor, most common one is Gparted which is actually very easy to use

For a older version of mint there but it gives you an idea how it works.

Gparted does not come on Mints live disk but can be installed virtually as Mint will just use your RAM if running off the CD/DVD drive.

There is even a gparted live CD

http://gparted.org/livecd.php

Its basically a stripped down linux that only contains GParted and the kernel and wont install the OS

You may want to try the Gparted live image first.

Edited by MadmanRB, 21 May 2017 - 07:25 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users