Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did Windows10 Anniversary fry my motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 andrew1234

andrew1234

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:14 PM

Decided to get my old laptop out to see if I can get it working again.

The problem started after installing the Anniversary update.

The gist of the matter-

I power the laptop up, it gets to the "blue" sign-in box (I used to have to sign in twice, the blue box and then the usual one).
The the lower case symbol in the blue sign-in box remains static instead of blinking like it used to. it doesn't register
when I press any of the keys (i've tried them all).
After I power it off (press power button in for 5 seconds) it goes back to the black screen but it then restarts itself.
I have tried Shift & F8 and other fixes including Task Manager ect. Task manager doesn't come up.

This happened after the Windows10 Anniversary thing from last year, I tried getting the thing to work at the time but gave
up after a couple of days.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,825 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:31 PM

Unless there's something of importance on it at this point I'd try using the Media Creation Tool at the Windows 10 Download Page to create installation media for Creator's update and install it from scratch on the machine.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 andrew1234

andrew1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:38 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Is there a way I can transfer folders from it? I have quite a few pics, vids, docs, games ect that I would prefer not to lose.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,825 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:50 PM

Andrew,

I can't figure out what you're describing with regard to the "two logins" as that's entirely alien to me.  I have to log in to Windows 10, but that's it.

That being said, if all you want to do is to snag some user data off of the laptop's drive, you can simply pop it out and connect it as another drive on another computer, whether by an external USB cable or via some other method (I don't know if this is IDE versus SATA and/or whether you have a desktop where you could temporarily attach the drive as though it were an auxiliary internal drive).  You may need to grant yourself access to the files on the drive when you first try to access it, and depending on how much data is involved this can take some time, but after you have the necessary permissions it's just a matter of drag and drop/copy and paste to another device where you want to put those files for safekeeping (and then, once they're there, run a backup on the machine that's holding them for safekeeping at the moment).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 andrew1234

andrew1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:19 PM

Andrew,

I can't figure out what you're describing with regard to the "two logins" as that's entirely alien to me.  I have to log in to Windows 10, but that's it.

That being said, if all you want to do is to snag some user data off of the laptop's drive, you can simply pop it out and connect it as another drive on another computer, whether by an external USB cable or via some other method (I don't know if this is IDE versus SATA and/or whether you have a desktop where you could temporarily attach the drive as though it were an auxiliary internal drive).  You may need to grant yourself access to the files on the drive when you first try to access it, and depending on how much data is involved this can take some time, but after you have the necessary permissions it's just a matter of drag and drop/copy and paste to another device where you want to put those files for safekeeping (and then, once they're there, run a backup on the machine that's holding them for safekeeping at the moment).

The first sign-in screen is a black screen with a blue sign-in box. once I'd sign in, the laptop continues loading up and then the windows10 sign-in box comes up and I have to enter my password a second time.

I can film the first sign-in box load it up if you wish

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,825 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:30 PM

This must be something specific to the UEFI/BIOS level security on your machine.  It's unusual, to say the least.

Because this part is completely alien territory for me I don't know if it could possibly be having any effect on what you're seeing with regard to Windows 10.

With any luck someone else will recognize and share your configuration and may be able to comment from direct experience.

I'm simply used to the manufacturer's splash screen coming up (and if you hit certain keys repeatedly when it's in the process of doing so they can kick off things like opening UEFI, etc.) but then Windows 10 beginning to load and you log in there and there only.

I don't want to potentially lead you astray secondary to some exotic configuration which is a black box for me.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 andrew1234

andrew1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:43 PM

No worries.

As an aside I have a system recovery CD for the problem laptop but it won't load up, but if I put the CD into my working laptop I can see the files

#8 andrew1234

andrew1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:08 PM

Bought a HDD adapter cable for the problem laptops HDD and plugged it into my other laptop. I can access all files and folders. Any advice on what I can do next? I'm guessing I can delete The Anniversary update and maybe re-upload it from Windows update/site or maybe get a fix for it?

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,825 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:38 PM

I would just back up your files first.

Then I would use another machine to create new bootable media (whether USB or DVD) via the Media Creation Tool on the Windows 10 Download Page.

It sounds like you want to reuse the drive from which you'll have already backed up your files.  If that's the case you could manually format it, or not, your choice, pop it back in the machine, and use your bootable media to do a completely fresh install of Windows 10.

At this point in time you will not be installing Version 1607 (Anniversary) but will get Version 1703 (Creators) when you do a fresh install.

~ Austin O'Malley

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,885 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:51 PM

It is unlikely that Windows 10 fried your motherboard however it is extremely likely that it is not getting along with your system, if you have the ability to backup then do so and we could help you out if you need some sort of way to extract your files off your system before you reinstall Windows indeed though Microsoft Windows can be a pain in the butt if it doesn't get along with your system sometimes

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#11 andrew1234

andrew1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 11:09 AM

Was transfering files when this popped up-

Property Loss-

Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties?

The file bootsect has properties that can't be copied to the new location.

Boot Sector Manipulation Tool (Microsoft).
File version 6.2.9200.17280 created on 9/7/2016
size 115kb

Under Yes Skip Cancel it says Do this for all current items (10 found)

Advice please

#12 andrew1234

andrew1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 11:12 AM

The laptop in question is a Toshiba Satellite L350-264.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,825 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 12:04 PM

What are you trying to copy?

The fact that "bootsect" is in the name makes me think you're trying to copy the boot sector, which you cannot do (at least via usual copy).

You need only the files under c:\users and/or any other drive location(s) where you stored user data files.

~ Austin O'Malley

#14 andrew1234

andrew1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:00 PM

What are you trying to copy?

The fact that "bootsect" is in the name makes me think you're trying to copy the boot sector, which you cannot do (at least via usual copy).

You need only the files under c:\users and/or any other drive location(s) where you stored user data files.

I was in the midst of trying to create a bootable USB flash drive

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,825 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:08 PM

I presume using the Windows Media Creation Tool.

I can suggest one of two things:

1.  Try another USB drive with the MCT and report back on the result.

2.  Use the MCT to download an ISO file instead and then use Rufus (or similar utility of your choice) to create the bootable USB with the drive you were using originally and, if that fails, using a different USB drive.

If none of the above works then you need to report back with the failure messages from each so that we've got more to go on.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users