Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to fit DVI-I to VGA Adapter into GPU's DVI

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 351 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:56 AM

So, I have a DVI-I adapter which I'm trying to insert into my GPU (Zotac GeForce GT 730) but it won't fit whatever I do. I've tried to use a DVI-D to VGA which fits perfectly but doesn't connect to my monitor which is just a VGA input. Here are some pictures

DVI Input:

IMG_8409.jpg

DVI to VGA Adapter:

IMG_8410.jpg

So just to clarify, the Adapter isn't fitting into the Input. The other adapter is a DVI-D to VGA but it doesn't display anything on the screen.

Monitors: Both are Belinea Bel2225S1W

System Specs:

OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit                                           - Motherboard: GA-78LMT-USB3 6.0 (Socket M2)           - Audio: Corsair HS40 USB Gaming Headset
CPU: AMD FX-6350 (Vishera 32nm Technology)         - Display: HE247DPB (1920x1080/60Hz)                          - Optical Drives: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSD1 ATA Device
RAM: 12.00GB Single-Channel DDR3/801MHz                - GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (MSI)         - Storage: 931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 ATA Device (SATA)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:28 PM

The photo of the DVI port is so fuzzy that it's difficult to tell if there might be a pin stuck in one of the four "small holes" that surround the slot input on the side opposite the main collection of pins.

Also, it looks like your port takes 4 "thin pins" surrounding that slot and the adapter you show looks like it's got 4 blades in those positions, not pins.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:40 PM

I don't believe that card has a DVI-I port, but rather just a DVI-D (dual link) port. You picture of the port on the card is a bit confusing as there are the four dots that imply the holes for the DVI-I, but I suspect that those are just indentations from when you tried to plug in the DVI-I cable...if there were the four holes needed for DVI-I, then they would be bigger. When I look at the port for that card on the following page, it clearly shows just a DVI-D (dual link) port (you have to scroll right on the pictures to get to the picture of the end of the card):

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/gt-730-4gb-zone-edition

If it is only a DVI-D port, then it does not support analog output from that port. And VGA is an analog signal. This would explain why it will not work. You would need a digital to analog converter (which will powered somehow) in order to get a VGA signal off that port.

#4 Planemaster2

Planemaster2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 351 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:45 PM

Nope, the holes were definitely there beforehand as I got this GPU a couple of days ago. This is a new build which I finished yesterday so I figured that the two holes around the analogue matched the Adapter I was putting in. If it isn't going to go in then how would I fix the other adapter (DVI-D to VGA) so it actually shows something on the monitor?

System Specs:

OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit                                           - Motherboard: GA-78LMT-USB3 6.0 (Socket M2)           - Audio: Corsair HS40 USB Gaming Headset
CPU: AMD FX-6350 (Vishera 32nm Technology)         - Display: HE247DPB (1920x1080/60Hz)                          - Optical Drives: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSD1 ATA Device
RAM: 12.00GB Single-Channel DDR3/801MHz                - GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (MSI)         - Storage: 931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 ATA Device (SATA)

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:19 PM

The introduction of the DVI interface has really opened up a can of worms.  So many connectors that look the same but have some pins missing, others are blocked.  Too many different versions all based on the same similar connector.  Have also had mixed results with adapters, sometimes it takes trying from a couple different mfgrs to find one that works right, again due to so many different configurations.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:39 AM

Every DVI-I port that I have ever encountered myself or seen in pictures (even in doing a Google search) has the 4 holes around the slot that are the same size as the other holes shown in your picture.

Thus, I still believe this might be a DVI-D port. This is reinforced by the pictures for your model of card on the manufacturer's website (assuming I got the right page for your card) that is references in the link I provided before.

And as I said before, if it is a DVI-D port, then there is not "fixing" your adapter to work with a DVI-D port to get something to display using a VGA connection on the monitor. You would need a converter along the line of this at a minimum (this is just an example, not a recommendation):

https://www.amazon.com/CableDeconn-Active-FeMale-Adapter-Converter/dp/B01DW2BJWU/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1495557396&sr=1-3&keywords=dvi-D+to+vga

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users