Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

No Image Showing After I Scan It

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Luvkitty

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:30 PM

Hello All!!!

It's been awhile since I last visited!! I hope everyone is doing well and has had a great Summer!!!

I'm having a problem with my Scanner, which is a Microtek ScanMaker 4800. I moved from a house to an apartment about three months ago, and before I moved, the scanner worked perfect. Since the move though, it's not been working at all!!

When I'm putting my image on the flatbed glass and then clicking on preview, the scanner makes a bunch of noise, some of which are sounds that are new, but when it's finished, there is no image on my laptop screen. I already reinstalled the scanner program because when I originally clicked on the icon on the desktop to start scanning, the scan wizard box appeared. So, after I went through the install process, I tried to scan, but still no luck. Then I clicked on Help to look for a troubleshooting section, but the only thing I could find though was a "test scanner" option. I went through that process, and I was told if the image appeared on the screen, then the scanner was working. Well, the image did NOT appear, but the directions don't say what to do when that happens! :thumbsup:

So, can you help me out? Thanks so much!!!!!

(Moderator edit: moved post to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 07 September 2006 - 09:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:36 AM

Have you unlocked the scanner bed?

The Microtek scanner models listed below have locking mechanisms that must be unlicked prior to usage of the unit. If you attempt to use your scanner without unlocking it first, you may here clicking and grinding noises coming from the scanner and damage to the unit can result if the lock mechanism is not disengaged.

SCANMAKER 4800 ( Bottom Switch)

For Bottom Switch locks: you you will need to push the locking mechanism from left to right or right to left, depending on whether you are locking or unclocking the scanner. The Bottom Switch lock is labeled and it will indicate when the scanner is in the locled or unlocked position.

Note: If the scanner passes this test then you have successfully unlocked your scanner . If your still hearing grinding noises and the scanner will not scan. The test failed and the scanner is in need of repairs. Click on the link below if you wish to request an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization). http://www.support.microtek.com/rmafirst.phtml

Microtek Support
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 09:46 AM

You have to install the scanner exactly as the manufacturer tells you in their instructioins.

Delete it completely, and then exactly follow their directions step by step.

#4 Luvkitty

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 05:31 AM

Well, I forgot that I had posted this question until the other day......sorry :thumbsup:

With regards to unlocking the scanner:

Wouldn't I have had to lock the scanner in the first place....because I didn't? When I moved, I just packed up the scanner and never locked it. The scanner had been my dad's and he was letting me use it on my computer while I lived at my parents' house so I never knew about the locking thing. Because of that, when I moved, I didn't lock it............wonder if that's what is wrong....if my no locking it when I moved actually broke the scanner?

Anyway, I had a scanner that I bought years ago but never took out of the box because I was using my dad's, and I decided to give my dad his scanner back and hook up my own now that I live in my own place. We'll see if he has any better luck than I did with the scanner and getting it to work correctly. I'll let him know what you guys had to say and the links you gave me, etc. THANK YOU!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users