Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux OS for IBM ThinkPad R50?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:43 PM

Appreciate your input on this, as I'm time poor and a family relative asked?

The laptop is an IBM ThinkPad R50 1830 - 14.1" - Pentium M - 512 MB RAM - 30 GB HDD. https://www.cnet.com/products/thinkpad-r50/specs/

I told her to install Linux Mint 18.1, or Ubuntu 17.04, but both failed due to the CPU NOT supporting the PAE for the kernel.

Is there a minimal requirements site(s) for Linux OS I can look and direct her?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:15 AM

I don't know of any site that lists minimum system requirements for all Linux distros; each (major) distro has its own site.

Try this:
https://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=Linux&category=Old+Computers&origin=All&basedon=All&notbasedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&package=All&rolling=All&isosize=All&netinstall=All&language=All&status=Active#simple

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:34 AM

Puppy linux may be the best bet for such old hardware

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for the replies. I managed to install Knoppix 6.7.1 CD without issue for her, but the sudo apt-get update + sudo apt-get upgrade failed as the update packs were incorrect.

Apparently, she wants to keep the laptop with a non Windows OS as an emergency backup PC?

Edited by Crazy Cat, 20 May 2017 - 07:37 PM.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,174 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:41 AM

Knoppix 6.7.1 was released in 2011 and will no longer be supported. The repositories will no longer exist, which is why you can't update it. Many Linux operating systems from that era will probably work on that computer, but you won't be able to update them either.

I recommend replacing it. AntiX would be my first choice of operating system for this computer, and if that doesn't work, I would try Puppy.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:20 AM

If going to Puppy Tahrpup 6.0.5 has a no-PAE version.

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:12 PM

Have to agree with both Al and John on this one. For a machine like the Thinkpad from that era, Puppy is definitely the way to go.

And I don't just say this because I'm a Puppy fan; it's my belief that Puppy is genuinely the best OS for many machines with similar specs to your Thinkpad. It's small, it's fast, it's easily upgradeable (and well-supported).....and for stuff like wi-fi, for instance, I'd recommend using a dongle with one of the well-supported chipsets, even if you have an internal card. Many of these are not well-supported under the Linux kernel.

And running from RAM as it does, Puppy makes even old hardware seem like new again!

As with everything in this area, it's all very much subjective (to the user), and, of course.....YMMV.

Mike. :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 22 May 2017 - 05:44 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#8 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:17 PM

Thanks for the input replies. I'll look into it for her and download the iso's.

#9 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:46 PM

Knoppix 6.7.1 was released in 2011 and will no longer be supported. The repositories will no longer exist, which is why you can't update it. Many Linux operating systems from that era will probably work on that computer, but you won't be able to update them either.

I recommend replacing it. AntiX would be my first choice of operating system for this computer, and if that doesn't work, I would try Puppy.

AntiX failed to boot after numerous attempts. As for Knoppix 6.7.1, it downloaded the packs, but the public encryption keys failed. So Puppy worked for her.

If going to Puppy Tahrpup 6.0.5 has a no-PAE version.

Thanks that worked for her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users