Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

desktop to laptop can it be done

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 amerature_guru

amerature_guru

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:53 PM

I have been looking for a general use laptop for light gaming I was considering to mount a old laptop screen to my hp Compaq 8000 elite ultra slim desktop and calling it a day most of the places I will be taking it will have plugs so no internal battery needed I want to know if it is possible here is a link to look at the computer

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi0h5CM0frTAhUjjlQKHU1xCYsQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmzcomputer.ca%2Fshop%2Fhp-compaq-8200-elite-ultra-slim-pc%2F&psig=AFQjCNFFum9KrCYNlqeE2cXkDcaUqD6B-A&ust=1495237617005977

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joykill

Joykill

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:07 PM

I don't think I understand. You want to plug your desktop computer up to your laptop screen?

If that is the case, probably not possible.

#3 amerature_guru

amerature_guru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:10 PM

no I have an old laptop screen with a controller board I use for various projects it has vga and hdmi

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:40 PM

Possible probably, but if you want portable look at a laptop.  You have to also consider that in addition to the screen you will need a keyboard and mouse.  Additionally the computer does not have a wireless connection, limiting you further.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:14 PM

I was considering something like that and found it un-workable.  The LT screen driver board was not compatible with any desktop output, even down to the component level.

#6 amerature_guru

amerature_guru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:59 PM

my controller board for the laptop screen uses  a board with a vga connecter 

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:04 PM

But that is an output from the LT to an external monitor,   Not an input to the display element.

#8 amerature_guru

amerature_guru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:40 PM

the reason i got this idea was because i huse an hdmi to vga adapter and i use this screen with my raspberry pi and i just gon a new screen for that so i got back on the idea of doing this project 

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:35 PM

Since you say this is a project using essentially surplus to requirements components, why not ?  Go ahead and see how far you can get.

I do think you will find that there is a processing problem. Desktops output a video signal - HDMI, VGA, DVI - and the circuitry in the monitor then determines which pixcels are switched on in what order to give you the screen images we all spend so much time looking at. If I understand it correctly, laptops do this processing on the mobo and pass the finished signal - which includes the information about which pixcels to switch on - to the screen which then merely lights them up.

If I am right about this you are setting yourself a fairly challenging project !

Chris Cosgrove

#10 amerature_guru

amerature_guru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:48 PM

the board I have all it does is interpret the signal coming into it I have done basic test and all I had to do was change some resolution settings but I don't know what will happen if I do this long term 

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:10 PM

I don't know what will happen if I do this long term

Only one way to find out !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users