Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply fan never spinning. Computer restarts every 10 mins.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 todamax15

todamax15

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:50 PM

Dell XPS 8910 Desktop computer

• Intel i7-6700 CPU
  • 16GB DDR4
  • 1TB HDD
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB GDDR5
  • Windows 10
  • 370W Power Supply

Brand new dell computer I purchased. I hooked it up in my bedroom. It keeps rebooting automatically around 5-15 mins after logging into windows 10. At first I thought it was an overheating issue with the cpu and maybe the cpu fan isn't working causing the failsafe reboots. But checked the fan and it's working. And then I realized the power supply fan isn't spinning when the computer is on. So maybe it was from a bad psu? I notice it might be the psu fan not spinning because it isn't under load. But then even when I first turn on the computer, the psu fan doesn't spin. So maybe it is due to the psu fan not being able to work in higher loads causing the computer to reboot. It is usually also very laggy in the os, especially before it is about to reboot.

I then hook it up to living room downstairs where it is only connected to the monitor and keyboard/mouse and the rebooting issue disappears. It doesn't reboot itself like it does upstairs. While upstairs in my bedroom, it is hooked up also to an ethernet cable and a speaker system with an amp (lower power wattage though). The lag still there, but not as bad as when I hook the desktop computer upstairs in my room.

I ran cpu-id or cpu-z and temp monitoring programs, and temps all look normal.

So beginning to wonder if it is possible psu related and not being able to have enough power cause those reboots. My psu is 370w. Unless the addition of the lower power speaker and amp draws that much more power.

It is under warranty and still in customer support service. So I could easily have home support come look at it. But I just want to get an idea of what the possible issue is before calling for support to come look at it, in avoid having the issue not appear when they come in and say the machine is fine. I want to be able to hopefully trigger the problem when I do. I also want to avoid tinkering too much myself in fear it would void the warranty.

Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:16 PM

If it's under warranty then you don't do any 'tinkering' yourself, this will almost certainly void the warranty.

This sounds like a faulty PSU - contact your suupplier, explain the problem and ask them what they are going to do about it. And don't take 'No' for an answer.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:20 PM

Does the PSU fan also run when you hook it up in the living room?

I see two possible issues/concerns.

The first is the PSU fan not running. To my knowledge, a PSU fan ALWAYS runs although I admit that I have not specifically always paid attention to the PSU fan. If the PSU fan is not running at all, then my gut thought is an issue with the PSU and you likely should call Dell about it.

If the PSU fan does run when in the living room, then the second potential issue/concern is that you might have a general electrical issue up in your bedroom that is not related to the computer itself.

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,407 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:37 AM

If receptacles in the house all have power then you are good there.

Sounds as you may have been unfortunate and received a computer with a bad power supply and since it's under warranty let Dell fix it.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:37 AM

Just a thought...PS fans should constantly run without exception. I suggest not using the machine until this is resolved; I once had a computer that had a bad PS fan that was making noise; before I had the time to replace it the PS over-heated and shorted out with a flash and smoke. I was lucky it didn't damage anything else in the box, it could have started a fire.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 todamax15

todamax15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for the replies. Now I will probably the PSU fan to the Dell tech's attention when I contact them. 

Just a thought...PS fans should constantly run without exception. I suggest not using the machine until this is resolved; I once had a computer that had a bad PS fan that was making noise; before I had the time to replace it the PS over-heated and shorted out with a flash and smoke. I was lucky it didn't damage anything else in the box, it could have started a fire.

Thanks for the info. I did not know that. I researched a bit and found some  info saying new computers and PSU are able to only have the psu fan spin when under heavier loads. Not sure how true they are. I will definitely be wary of this. 

Does the PSU fan also run when you hook it up in the living room?

I see two possible issues/concerns.

The first is the PSU fan not running. To my knowledge, a PSU fan ALWAYS runs although I admit that I have not specifically always paid attention to the PSU fan. If the PSU fan is not running at all, then my gut thought is an issue with the PSU and you likely should call Dell about it.

If the PSU fan does run when in the living room, then the second potential issue/concern is that you might have a general electrical issue up in your bedroom that is not related to the computer itself.

No the PSU fan does not spin at all even in the living room.

Another thing to note is, I have a computer running in the bedroom in the same socket before I hooked up the dell and it ran fine. I ended up hooking up another computer in the same spot in my bedroom after I remove the dell and that other computer is now running fine. So I think maybe this rules out being a electrical issue in my bedroom? Only difference between bedroom and living room is, I have a speaker system hooked up in the bedroom. So that might be drawing more load on the psu causing the restart. 

Edited by todamax15, 20 May 2017 - 05:33 PM.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:51 PM

No the PSU fan does not spin at all even in the living room.

Then this suggests there may be an issue with the PSU. I would contact Dell since it is still under warranty.

Another thing to note is, I have a computer running in the bedroom in the same socket before I hooked up the dell and it ran fine. I ended up hooking up another computer in the same spot in my bedroom after I remove the dell and that other computer is now running fine. So I think maybe this rules out being a electrical issue in my bedroom? Only difference between bedroom and living room is, I have a speaker system hooked up in the bedroom. So that might be drawing more load on the psu causing the restart.

My speculation was kind of an either/or type scenario. Since it seems like it might be an issue with the PSU on new computer, there is likely no issue with your electrical system.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:24 PM

Yes returning the unit is a good idea if under warranty.

I mean hey it happens, even good companies have the occasional issue.

Dell has had a bad reputation in the past but nowadays they seemed to learned from their mistakes though screw ups still occur.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users