Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE BSOD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 THADANKEST

THADANKEST

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:53 PM

Hello pls help me i am using a Samsung dp700a3d s01ph all in one pc with amd radeon graphics

here's what I have done:

1. first time I got the bsod error I tried to upgrade the amd driver but didn't work, so I uninstalled the driver which resulted in the pc using the basic display driver

2. after that I decided to reset the whole pc, which resulted in restarts which triggered the BSOD video tdr failure error, which resulted in a bootloop

3. I finally installed a windows 10 media disk on the pc but when I was updating windows, while updating the amd driver the screen goes black and doesn't respond. after pulling the plug out, when I start up the pc it AGAIN goes to the BSOD error..same reason...video tdr failure

please help me anybody who has an answer. PLEASE HELP :((

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:03 AM

Samsung uses a proprietary video driver for it's AMD video cards (the driver is actually signed by Intel) and it needs to be present in order for the video card to work properly.
This may/may not be your problem - but the updating process can cause these sort of errors (I have a Samsung laptop and fought this issue for years!).

Check in Device Manager to see if there is an error for the AMD driver.  If so, then that's most likely the problem here.

I'm currently using my Samsung laptop as a test machine and have installed the latest Fast Ring build on it.

The AMD video card is shown as being problem free in Device Manager - but I haven't tried the video card or the video switching since I installed any Fast Ring builds

Other than the above, have a look at this page for some hints on how to proceed with Video TDR errors:  http://www.carrona.org/VideoTDR.html

Also, Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.
NOTE:  On problem systems it can take up to 20 minutes for the log files to complete.  Please be patient and let it run.

If you still have problems with it running, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR, .7z or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 THADANKEST

THADANKEST
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:59 AM

here's the info from the software you gave me 

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:32 PM

Your UEFI/BIOS (version P10KMM.076.140213.XJ) dates from 2014.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

No Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 15063 (1703) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

This device has problems in Device Manager:

PCI Simple Communications Controller    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E3A&SUBSYS_B091144D&REV_04\3&11583659&0&B0    The drivers for this device are not installed.

This is probably the Intel® Management Engine Interface (MEI).  Please visit the Samsung support website for your model to download and install this device.

There are no errors related to the Video TDR BSOD in this report.  Yet the memory dump shows a STOP 0x116 error (Video TDR).

Also, there are very few entries in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report - this implies a problem with collecting WER reports, and may mean that there is a problem with the operating system.

Have you checked the signature on the ATI video drivers that are installed on your system?

Are they signed by Intel?

Have you, at any time, installed video drivers that were not from Samsung?

If so, you may have to start over and only use drivers from the Samsung support site (or the Samsung SW Update tool)

What worked/did not work for you on my http://www.carrona.org/VideoTDR.html page?

We still can't tell if this is hardware or software.

Have you run any of the hardware diagnostics?  If so, what were the results?

Analysis:
The following is for information purposes only. The following information contains the relevant information from the blue screen analysis:
**************************Fri May 19 05:37:07.209 2017 (UTC - 4:00)**************************
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\john\SysnativeBSODApps\060517-22656-01.dmp]
Windows 10 Kernel Version 15063 MP (4 procs) Free x64
Built by: 15063.0.amd64fre.rs2_release.170317-1834
System Uptime:0 days 0:00:41.935
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmpag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmpag.sys
Probably caused by :atikmpag.sys ( atikmpag+cc38 )
BugCheck 116, {ffffa20311454010, fffff80981d3cc38, ffffffffc0000001, 5}
BugCheck Info: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116)
Arguments:
Arg1: ffffa20311454010, Optional pointer to internal TDR recovery context (TDR_RECOVERY_CONTEXT).
Arg2: fffff80981d3cc38, The pointer into responsible device driver module (e.g. owner tag).
Arg3: ffffffffc0000001, Optional error code (NTSTATUS) of the last failed operation.
Arg4: 0000000000000005, Optional internal context dependent data.
BUGCHECK_STR:  0x116
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  GRAPHICS_DRIVER_TDR_FAULT
PROCESS_NAME:  System
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x116_IMAGE_atikmpag.sys
CPUID:        "Intel® Core™ i5-3570T CPU @ 2.30GHz"
MaxSpeed:     2300
CurrentSpeed: 2295
  BIOS Version                  P10KMM.076.140213.XJ
  BIOS Release Date             02/13/2014
  Manufacturer                  SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
  Product Name                  DP700A3D/DM700A3D/DB701A3D/DP700A7D
  Baseboard Product             DP700A3D-S01PH
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``

3rd Party Drivers:
The following is for information purposes only. My recommendations were given above. The drivers that follow belong to software or devices that were not developed by Microsoft.  You can find links to the driver information and where to update the drivers in the section after the code box:

**************************Fri May 19 05:37:07.209 2017 (UTC - 4:00)**************************
Microsoft.Bluetooth.Legacy.LEEnumerator.sys   Mon Mar 12 01:05:40 1984 (1AB2A7A4)
atikmpag.sys                                  Tue Jul 21 21:11:28 2015 (55AEEDC0)
atikmdag.sys                                  Tue Jul 21 21:35:10 2015 (55AEF34E)
athw8x.sys                                    Thu Jan 28 04:52:54 2016 (56A9E4F6)
rt640x64.sys                                  Wed Oct  5 09:32:55 2016 (57F50107)
SleepStudyHelper.sys                          ***** Invalid 2016 Invalid 2016 Invalid
intelppm.sys                                  ***** Invalid 2007 Invalid 2007 Invalid

Microsoft.Bluetooth.Legacy.LEEnumerator.sys - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=atikmpag.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=atikmdag.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=athw8x.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=rt640x64.sys
SleepStudyHelper.sys - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=intelppm.sys

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 THADANKEST

THADANKEST
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:19 AM

hello again, i havent ran any hardware diagnostics but i did try to install a new windows 10 from a media tool kit. after doing so I installed 

all drivers from a certain site that supported my desktop (because Samsung's site seems to tell you there is no downloadable drivers available)

all have been successful installs except amd drivers....I updated my display drivers through the device manager and as soon as it finished downloading the latest driver (an amd driver I assumed) my screen suddenly went black. although I assumed this was a normal thing because the same thing happens when I installed an intel graphics driver for my i5. it went black then came back to my normal screen a few seconds later. but in this case it doesn't fo back to my normal screen instead it stays black until now. 

could this be a hardware problem? maybe the reason why it fails every time it installs the amd driver is because it could not communicate to the driver because the hardware it is trying to communicate to is broken?

P.S. still haven't updated the bios though I am having a hard time finding a bios update for my desktop

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:32 AM

Perform a clean install of W10.

DO NOT install drivers from anywhere but Windows.

DO NOT install any extra programs at this time (wait until we're finished troubleshooting)

Ensure you have ALL Windows Updates

Then check Device Manager for any errors

If you have errors, post back here and we'll suggest what to install.

Beyond that, wait and see if the errors recur with a clean install.

If they do, please post back for further suggestions.

#7 THADANKEST

THADANKEST
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:40 AM

i have installed a clean windows and I'm currently waiting for the updates to be installed

an amd radeon driver is also being downloaded by windows update 

but the lst time it updated the driver it got the video tdr failure again :(

update: the pc went black again and never came back to normal looks like whenever an amd driver is installed the pc crashes and gets the error again

Edited by THADANKEST, 24 June 2017 - 02:38 AM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2017 - 02:30 PM

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.

If you have problems with it running it, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:
You may not need to log temps - if uncertain, please ask.

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users