Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC has been hanging for months now. I've tried everything.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HiImArgo

HiImArgo

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:29 PM

This began after I received a replacement video card(used/refurbished btw) after my old one had issues. The hangs occur during very graphically undemanding games, and simply result in a sudden black screen with audio dying 2 seconds later. Keyboard LEDS shut off, mouse LED's stay on, no peripheral inputs work to wake the PC up, just frozen and requires a manual reboot. No evidence of why the freeze occurred, just windows wasn't properly shut down message. Prior to the issue starting during the install of the new(albeit used+refurbished) video card, I dusted my PC and maybe accidentally blew dust into my PSU? I think as for hardware, these 2 are the most likely culprits now that I've completely reinstalled windows after my support request was rejected last time. I have a clean reinstall of windows unique to the PC now, and the hangs have not stopped. I don't know what to do other than randomly purchase a new power supply but if I could get some sort of diagnosis from someone with expertise on these forums, that would mean a heck of a lot to me.

· OS - Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista ?

Windows 7 Home Premium
· x86 (32-bit) or x64 ?

· What was original installed OS on system?

Windows 7 Home Premium
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)?

I purchased an OEM version.
· Age of system (hardware)

2-3 years.
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS?

3 weeks.
· CPU

Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz
· Video Card

4GB AMD Asus Strix R9 380x
· MotherBoard - 

MSI H81M-E34
· Power Supply - 

EVGA 80+ Bronze 500W
· System Manufacturer

Self assembled
· Laptop or Desktop

Desktop

Attached Files

Edited by HiImArgo, 18 May 2017 - 01:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,038 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:53 PM

I do believe that your PSU is the real issue here. The recommended PSU wattage for your graphics card is 500-550 watts. How about putting your graphics card on another slot? If that doesn't work:

• start monitoring your hardware temperatures with HWMonitor
  • follow this hardware stripdown to reduce the load on your PSU. How does the system behave?
  • update your BIOS (if your computer could lose power unexpectedly, please don't!)
  • run MemTest86 (WITHOUT the plus) for a minimum of eight passes. An excellent guide is available here if you need help.
  • run Seagate SeaTools for Windows. Test all your drives with the S.M.A.R.T. and Long Generic tests.
  • BTW, I doubt that blowing dust into your PSU is the issue, if the hangs were already existent before.

Regards,

bwv848

Edited by bwv848, 18 May 2017 - 01:54 PM.

#3 HiImArgo

HiImArgo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for replying. The hangs came just as I did two major things with my hardware, one of which was giving my PC it's first real dusting, and second is installing a new(but not brand new) video card. As for the PSU wattage, I've gotten so many conflicting replies with half of the people saying something along the lines of "it should be fine", but I guess this is my next step. I've done the memtest86 overnight, no errors. I've been checking temps intermittently with HWMonitor for months now but I don't see anything outrageously high but I can never tell what my temps show as the crash occurs. Bios is already updated to latest, didn't resolve issues alas. Running Seatools now and then will try the hardware stripdown and see if that changes anything. One curious thing is, in the last 3 weeks since reinstalling OS, I think I've only experienced 3-4 hangs, while the old windows was hanging upwards of 4 times per day. I experienced other strange hiccups during this time that were graphics related, where my PC didn't fully freeze but I had a temporary blackscreen and got an error from the radeon software saying it recovered from something or other and that it reset my settings to factory settings? Something along those lines, I wish I had screenshotted it.

Edited by HiImArgo, 18 May 2017 - 02:14 PM.

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,038 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:56 PM

If it's after the new graphics card, here are some possibilites:

• your system isn't compatible with the graphics card for some reason (could be either software or hardware)
  • your graphics card is receiving insufficient power from the PSU
  • the refurbished graphics card is defective

Since this happened after changing graphics cards, how about returning it? If you're on a tight budget, then buying a PSU tester (about $10 USD) could be a better option than swapping PSUs. (Obviously, it's not the best test, but chances are that it'll be accurate enough.) Is it possible you remove the PSU and blow it out with compressed air? DO NOT open the PSU, serious injury or death may occur. Just unplug it (of course) and put the switch to the "Off" Position. You may want to use a toothpick (or a small chopstick) to hold the fan in place.

AGAIN, be VERY CAREFUL what you do around the PSU! (I've got electrocuted before — it ain't fun!)

#5 HiImArgo

HiImArgo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:14 PM

If it's after the new graphics card, here are some possibilites:

• your system isn't compatible with the graphics card for some reason (could be either software or hardware)
  • your graphics card is receiving insufficient power from the PSU
  • the refurbished graphics card is defective

Since this happened after changing graphics cards, how about returning it? If you're on a tight budget, then buying a PSU tester (about $10 USD) could be a better option than swapping PSUs. (Obviously, it's not the best test, but chances are that it'll be accurate enough.) Is it possible you remove the PSU and blow it out with compressed air? DO NOT open the PSU, serious injury or death may occur. Just unplug it (of course) and put the switch to the "Off" Position. You may want to use a toothpick (or a small chopstick) to hold the fan in place.

AGAIN, be VERY CAREFUL what you do around the PSU! (I've got electrocuted before — it ain't fun!)

For instance this site: https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator says load wattage is 350w, and recommends a 400w PSU. I've seen other calculators of this sort and I never seem to go above 500w. I'm also not doing anything demanding when these hangs occur, just playing very graphically undemanding games on the level of Solitaire. As for returning the GPU, I would, but I feel guilty, because it's a small private seller who refurbishes cards, and he honored the 2 year warranty on my card just 2 weeks shy of expiration, and even sent me an upgraded card for free. I don't even know if I still have a warranty on this new card or not, and this is basically my last resort.

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,038 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:45 PM

What I'm mostly suspecting is that your PSU wattage is appropriate for you model, HOWEVER, as it ages, the wattage drops steadily due to normal wear-and-tear. Of course this is just a random hypothesis, but it's relatively logical.

Good luck!

#7 HiImArgo

HiImArgo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:20 PM

What I'm mostly suspecting is that your PSU wattage is appropriate for you model, HOWEVER, as it ages, the wattage drops steadily due to normal wear-and-tear. Of course this is just a random hypothesis, but it's relatively logical.

Good luck!

Thank you again for the insight, I'll be giving a new PSU a shot this weekend. If that fails, I guess I will contact the GPU merchant.

Edited by HiImArgo, 19 May 2017 - 05:20 PM.

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,038 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:00 PM

Alright, good luck!

#9 HiImArgo

HiImArgo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:10 AM

Was not the PSU, alas. Upgraded to a Seasonic 520W, still blackscreened in a very, very low graphically demanding game. It was on a huge sale so I didnt pay much to find out, luckily. The peace of mind was worth it for 24 dollars(once I get the rebate).

Edited by HiImArgo, 23 May 2017 - 03:33 PM.

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,038 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:38 PM

Sorry to hear that. Have you tried putting your graphics card on another slot yet? Please try this older version of your graphics drivers (which are specifically programmed for your graphics card model):

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/vga/ATI/AMD_VGADriver_Win7_Win8_1_Win10-64bit_VER15_201_WHQL.zip

I recommend that you get these two fixes from Microsoft before doing so though:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/3033929

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035131

Edited by bwv848, 25 May 2017 - 10:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users