Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Really bad feedback coming from computer speakers

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Roxabox

Roxabox

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:28 PM

Hello,

I just purchased a pair of really cheap computer speakers (which could be the problem right there) they're the "dancing water" speakers and I have them on opposite sides of my computer monitor and far as they can possibly be away from the monitor with their short cords (which really isn't far). I've been getting really bad humming and feedback coming out of them from the monitor I assume. When I move my cursor or scroll pages it's pretty bad. 

Luckily they were only 15 bucks but is there a way to decrease the amount of feedback I am getting?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:35 PM

Can you test the speakers with something else, like maybe hooking them to a smartphone (assuming they use a mini headphone jack, aka 2.5 mm, type connector), and see if you get the same feedback? This would help determine if it is just a problem with the speakers themselves.

Were you using speakers before? If so, did you have any similar types of problems before? If you had speakers with no issues before, then this suggests it is an issue with the speakers.

#3 Roxabox

Roxabox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:45 PM

Can you test the speakers with something else, like maybe hooking them to a smartphone (assuming they use a mini headphone jack, aka 2.5 mm, type connector), and see if you get the same feedback? This would help determine if it is just a problem with the speakers themselves.

Were you using speakers before? If so, did you have any similar types of problems before? If you had speakers with no issues before, then this suggests it is an issue with the speakers.

I just played some music off my phone with them, I am not getting any feedback but there's no vocals for some reason, just guitar riffs haha. 

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,759 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:54 PM

Oh you have the Karaoke version, Sorry , kidding.

Is your computer plugged into a 3 pronged outlet? If not that can cause hum.

Make sure connections are tight after separating from compy.

Jiggle or twist connections to see if it stops, that indicates cracked wire.

Edited by boopme, 18 May 2017 - 12:55 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:55 PM

I just played some music off my phone with them, I am not getting any feedback but there's no vocals for some reason, just guitar riffs haha.

That suggests that there maybe some shielding/electromagnetic feedback loop issue when the speakers are connected to the computer.

When you tried the speakers connected to the phone, where the speakers still sitting in the same positions they were when connected to the computer...and was the computer turned on?

#6 Roxabox

Roxabox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:10 PM

Oh you have the Karaoke version, Sorry , kidding.

Is your computer plugged into a 3 pronged outlet? If not that can cause hum.

Make sure connections are tight after separating from compy.

Jiggle or twist connections to see if it stops, that indicates cracked wire.

Haha, karaoke is a good idea! Maybe if I can't get them to function like how they're supposed to I'll keep them around just for that.

My computer is plugged directly into a 3 prong wall outlet and all the connections are as tight as they can be.

That suggests that there maybe some shielding/electromagnetic feedback loop issue when the speakers are connected to the computer.

When you tried the speakers connected to the phone, where the speakers still sitting in the same positions they were when connected to the computer...and was the computer turned on?

Yes, the speakers are still in the same position and the computer has remained on.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:14 PM

What kind of computer are you plugging the speakers into? Laptop? Or desktop?

Plus, you never answered whether you had properly working speakers before with the computer.

#8 Roxabox

Roxabox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:26 PM

What kind of computer are you plugging the speakers into? Laptop? Or desktop?

Plus, you never answered whether you had properly working speakers before with the computer.

I have never had speakers before with this computer, it is a desktop. I have used headphones plugged into the same jack as my speakers are plugged into and they've always worked fine.

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:36 PM

What port are you plugging the speaker into on the desktop? An audio out port on the rear of the computer? Or a headphone jack on the front of the computer?

#10 Roxabox

Roxabox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:49 PM

What port are you plugging the speaker into on the desktop? An audio out port on the rear of the computer? Or a headphone jack on the front of the computer?

I had them plugged into the headphone jack on the front. I was just lazy and didn't feel like pulling out my computer tower and crawling under my desk to plug it in the back and figured the headphone jack would have the same output as the rear ports. Ha.  :oopsign: 

Upon switching the feedback stopped (huzzah!) but it's still karaoke style. I'm gonna try buying another aux cord and see if that helps with that issue. 

Thank you for your help! 

#11 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:59 PM

Generally, the rear ports are un-amplified, while the headphones jacks will be amplified. So, you will typically need speakers with an amplifier built into them when plugging into the rear ports (aka actual speaker ports that can be found on desktops). That tends to be at least one difference. It could be the amplified output was causing the feedback, but I am not sure.

Of course, another is that some desktop computers might have more sophisticated sound cards/systems that can support more that just stereo speakers. When they do, they will have multiple speaker plugs on the rear.

I believe there are also shielding differences between the rear ports and the front ports, but I could be wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users