Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W7 new install from OEM disk fails

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 skovie

skovie

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:26 AM

I have an older Dell Inspiron 15 N5010 laptop with a HD drive that has been wiped clean.

I'm trying to do a custom install of Windows 7 from an OEM disk from a Dell Inspiron desktop I own.

The OS runs smoothly through the install process until it's in the Completing Installation step. It quits after a few minutes and tells me to restart. When I do so I get into an endless repeating loop.

At one point I was able to try to start in safe mode and received a message saying "Windows cannot complete installation in safe mode. To complete installing Windows restart the computer". This got me back into the endless loop.

What am I doing wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:02 PM

Are you saying that you are using a Windows install disc from a DIFFERENT Dell computer? If so, then that likely is your problem. OEM licenses for Dell computers are typically tied to the hardware that the install discs will shipped with. This typically means that they will only work with that model of computer, but I could be wrong.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:51 PM

Above is correct.  Additionally, the fact that the license for that install disk...applies to a distinctly different OEM system...means that you are violating the terms of sale/use any time that you attempt to install that hardware on a different system.

And the drivers for the two systems...are not likely to be compatible or capable of interchange...which is probably why you cannot complete your install effort.

Louis

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:02 PM

And the drivers for the two systems...are not likely to be compatible or capable of interchange...which is probably why you cannot complete your install effort.

In the past, Dell did not include the drivers with the Windows install disc. They gave you an actually Windows install disc (one of the reasons I used to like Dell compared to other computer companies), albeit an OEM disc. You had to install the drivers from a separate disc(s). So, unless Dell has changed this (my last Dell that I actively dealt with was at least probably 5 years old), it is likely not a driver issue.

#5 skovie

skovie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:30 PM

OK, all of the above is what I was concerned about. And I no longer have the original OEM disk that came with that computer. Will buy a retail disk. Thanks for the comments.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,619 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:41 PM

If you have a valid OEM key on the COA sticker then download your version of Windows 7 using this tool. Phone activation will be required.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users