Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is This A Ram Thing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:58 PM

I just got this nice new laptop with 512mb of ram but 64mb is dedicated to the video so I only have 448mb.

Now the thing is that alot of programs load pretty slow and stuff and my pc takes like 5 minutes to load and turn on msn and xfire... What I want to know is this a ram thing (like adding another 512mb would help), more of a processor thing (Turion 64 ML-32 1.80 GHz, could this be a hardrive thing (but I doupt this one because my other computer also has a 5200RPM drive and it is alot laggy... but this one is only 60 gigs instead of 80), or my video card (ATI Express 200M). Would bringing the dedicated memory to 128 help but then I would have less system ram...

BTW my other system that I am kind of comparing to is a pentium 4 3.00GHz with a gig of ram, ATI 9600 Radeon, and a 5200 RPM drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:01 AM

More ram would help, but you have to determine if your computer will support more ram.

The size of a hard drive wouldn't make much difference unless the available space was below 15%, which is how much free space Windows needs to operate properly.

One thing that will definately affect how fast your system boots is how many programs start when wWindows starts and run in the background.

Use Startup Inspector to manage your start menu making sure you do not disable necerssary system programs, your anti-virus program and your firewall. Programs you stop from starting with Windows can be started when you need them - not starting when Windows starts taking system resources to run in the background when you do not need them. Candidates for disabling from starting are Adobe, word processor, other "Office" type programs, media players, instant messengers, etc.
Programs you do not want to disable from starting are your Anti-virus peogram, realtime anti-malware aps and your firewall as well as necessary system aps like explore, etc.

Startup Inspector (manages startup menu helps you identify aps in the startup menu so you can disable unnecessary programs from running in the background when they are not needed)

And

Startup Monitor (a small freeware ap available on the same page to notify you and require your permission for any program to add itself to your startup menu)

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:33 AM

Well I have the two RAM slots and only one is used so I think I will stick in another 512mb.

I used the startup inspector and have disable the ones I knew what they were but there many I have no idea what they are...

Edited by Klinkaroo, 10 September 2006 - 10:40 AM.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 12:59 PM

Whoa!

That can be dangerous!

Go back in there and make sure your anti-virus program, anti-malware aps that provide realtime protection like Teatimer if you have Spybot, Windows Defender if you have it, etc, and your firewall are not disabled!

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:41 PM

Oops sorry mispelled that. I meant that I disabled what I knew I could (Instand messanging, xfire, weather thing ect...) but what I meant to say after is that there are other things that I don't know what they are but I left them there untill I figure out what they are. Sorry for the confusion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users