Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft f Account Change

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:17 AM

I am helping a friend that is selling his business.  He has a microsoft account which he uses to sign in.

The internet provider that he uses is being terminated June 1st.  They are leaving some of the programs

that are on the business computer for the new owner.

My question is this.  I can go into account and set up a new Microsoft Account for the new owners.

I can also go into Windows Live and terminate the Microsoft Account entirely for the original owner.

In so doing will the new owners retain the programs that the original owner has left for them in the process of

selling the business.

Thanks for your instructions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:53 AM

Since the old owner of the business never owned the software, he simply had a license to use it, the new owner might have to contact the owner of the specific software in question to renew the license. Any other way that this is done might be illegal and the new owner might be sued.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,804 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:08 PM

I am going out to lunch today with a lawyer friend and I will post this question to her!!!

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,804 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:40 PM

Before I step out to lunch tell me what kind of business was this. If it was a business that had anything to do with audio or video or photography, your friend really has no option except to re-license all of the old software.

I am starting to get ready now, I will check in again before I leave.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,804 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:19 PM

Man was I wrong in my first post. According to the advice I received it is the OLD owner's responsibility to;

A) Delete all of the proprietary software on the computers before he sells the business, or

B) Contact all of the software vendors before he sells the business.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,804 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:13 AM

I'm sorry for that very short answer yesterday. I went to a Mexican restaurant and had a couple of beers with lunch. My friend had a lot to say about this subject, so to the OP, are you giving your friend legal advice? Are you a lawyer. If you are not a lawyer then your friend should retain a lawyer.

But the single most important thing for your friend at this point is to not include any software in any contracts that pertain to selling the business. This can not be stressed enough.

Also, your friend should delete any software in the computer before he sells the business.

Also, your friend should contact each and every software vendor before he sells the business.

Bottom line, your friend needs to retain a lawyer and make good and sure not to include any software in any contracts related to selling the business.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users