Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bios upgrade

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:47 AM

hi,heres my question today my son and i have dell e521 pc's,my pc has bios revision of 1.1. 8 he has a revision of 1.1.4 is it worth the gamble to upgrade his pc to 1.1.8 like mine and is there higher bios revision

then 1.1.8 as i have read bios upgrades can turn a pc into a door stop,thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 53,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:20 AM

For what reasons...are you contemplating attempting a BIOS update?

Louis

#3 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:00 AM

just searching to see if it doable and safe here's my pc spec's

Operating System
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+    82 °F
    Windsor 90nm Technology
RAM
    4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 375MHz (6-6-6-18)
Motherboard
    Dell Inc 0CT103 (Socket M2 )
Graphics
    SAMSUNG (1176x664@60Hz)
    1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 (NVIDIA)    132 °F
Storage
    931GB Seagate ST1000DX 001-1CM162 SCSI Disk Device (SATA)    88 °F
    931GB Seagate Expansion+ USB Device (USB (SATA))    90 °F
Optical Drives
    No optical disk drives detected
Audio
    NVIDIA High Definition Audio

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:35 AM

Take a look at the improvements or changes in the new bios release. If there's nothing you need, then there's no reason to upgrade. As for bios flashed bricking a system - yes, it can happen. But if the correct flash procedure is followed and the system isn't interfered with during the process, the chances of encountering a problem are, in my experience, virtually nil.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 3,510 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:58 PM

Take a look at the improvements or changes in the new bios release. If there's nothing you need, then there's no reason to upgrade. As for bios flashed bricking a system - yes, it can happen. But if the correct flash procedure is followed and the system isn't interfered with during the process, the chances of encountering a problem are, in my experience, virtually nil.

Thank you for saying what you've said.

There was a time, and it was a very long time ago, that I looked upon BIOS upgrades as something to be done only as a last resort because it was, compared to now, relatively easy to "brick your machine" while doing one.  Those days are long gone.

If you download BIOS upgrades from your computer's manufacturer they are typically packaged these days like any other upgrade:  you download the program, run it, and [in the case of BIOS/UEFI] reboot afterward.   Just follow the directions, which are generally quite simple.

It's fine if folks don't want to do these upgrades because the issues identified may have no significance to them.   I, on the other hand, I view these updates as being just as essential as keeping other system components up to date.  Opinions on this differ, quite a bit, but that's mine and I always recommend that if you know a BIOS/UEFI update has been issued for your machine that it be applied as a matter of course just like other updates are.

Brian   AKA  Bri the Tech Guy      Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1703, Build 15063  (dot level changes too often for inclusion in signature)

-> (my website address is in my profile, if interested)

Dating is a social engagement with the threat of sex at its conclusion. 
    ~ P.J. O'Rourke, Modern Manners (1984)

#6 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:37 PM

hi,there i was trying to reply to my post but pc just for now stopped working as if power was shut off, changed where it was plugged in no change any idea as to why would be appreciated i am thinking that small battery went bad

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,243 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:10 PM

You might want to start a separate thread with your new problem / question.

#8 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:36 PM

too late changed psu back old one pc started right up

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 18,942 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:03 PM

The only time I can see a BIOS upgrade going bad is if you are on a desktop and the power goes out during the upgrade. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 May 2017 - 07:03 PM.

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:29 PM

I've been working on PCs professionally since last century.  In my life I have bricked one machine and that was in the 90s.  I've updated the BIOS on thousands.  As britechguy said improvements have been made where updating the BIOS is no longer the risky venture it used to be.

The Dell and HP BIOS upgrades can be done from inside Windows and are easy enough to do, provided you're not using BitLocker.  If you are using BitLocker you just need to remember to suspend it prior to the update.  HP even checks to see if BitLocker is active before performing the update.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 18,942 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:39 PM

I guess this is one time where a BIOS upgrade didn't go so well.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/19/dell_kills_botched_bios_update_that_murdered_punters_pcs/

#12 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,343 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:24 PM

Yes, a BIOS upgrade may speed things up a bit but it may also create some problems.  If the lower BIOS version is working fine and has no faults, I'd leave it alone.  BUT, before you start any changes, BACKUP YOUR SYSTEM.  Then it might be safe to proceed.  As noted, sometimes the download doesn't go just right and things go bonkers from there.  That's why backing up is so important.

Edited by mjd420nova, 20 May 2017 - 10:00 AM.

#13 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:52 PM

My opinion is; If it ain't broke... don't fix it.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 18,942 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:50 PM

The Dell problem happened because the "Dell Assistant" popped up saying there was a BIOS update. After update > borked computer.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/20012309?pi21953=1

#15 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 3,510 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:56 PM

John,

When I hear people positing the question about, "Why did this happen?," I don't think they're asking about the sequence of events, at least not in this case, but what is the underlying error in the BIOS update itself which caused the bricking to occur.

I'd love to know the underlying error and would also love to be the proverbial fly on the wall of the coder whose work wrought this havoc. How on earth did it ever make it "out into the wild."  There are probably a number of heads rolling.  Something like this should have borked any number of testing computers at Dell before it was ever released to the public at large.

Edited by britechguy, 20 May 2017 - 05:22 PM.

Brian   AKA  Bri the Tech Guy      Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1703, Build 15063  (dot level changes too often for inclusion in signature)

-> (my website address is in my profile, if interested)

Dating is a social engagement with the threat of sex at its conclusion. 
    ~ P.J. O'Rourke, Modern Manners (1984)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users