Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2002 And Gmail

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mg49

mg49

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:38 PM

I'm trying to configure Outlook 2002 to receive my mail from gmail and it's not working. I'm following the directions on the gmail website but still nothing. Please help. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:43 PM

Did you configure your account manually? Have you double-checked the entries in the account profile? Do you get any error messages. Have you sent send or tried to receive test E-mails? Peceisely what happens in each case.
Answers to these questions will help us to understand the precise problem you are having.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:30 PM

Hi mg49,

Try using the instructions at Microsoft's site instead:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistan...1488981033.aspx

Let us know if this works, if it does not please help us by giving us more information like jgweed has asked.

Good luck :thumbsup:
There is no justice, there is just us.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 12:13 AM

You need to use

pop.gmail.com
and only your user name - not user@gmail.com , port 995 and ssl

#5 mg49

mg49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:41 AM

It's working now, thanks for your help!

#6 aussie rock chick

aussie rock chick

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:20 AM

I am having the same problem as mg49, using gmail accounts with Outlook 2002, but none of these things has fixed the problem.

When I click "test account settings" it does everything except send the test email. It says "unable to send test message. Please verify the email address field". The email address is correct: myaddress@gmail.com. I read here "NOTE: Do not use the Test Account Settings button because it does not support e-mail authentication and will result in a failure every time." So maybe I'm doing this for no reason anyway.

But... when I try to send an email FROM this gmail account, it just sits in my outbox. I can send email FROM another account TO this gmail account using Outlook no problems, but not the other way round. I have spent several hours on this including a phone call to my ISP and can't work out where I'm going wrong.

Should I be using my ISP's server as the outgoing server instead of gmail's? This seems to work for my yahoo account. But when I try it with gmail it doesn't work either. Maybe something to do with authentification??

I am tearing my hair out here!!

#7 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:14 PM

Double check your settings with the ones found at these 2 links:

Manually Configure Outllok for Gmail

Enable Gmail Pop

#8 Niket Dave

Niket Dave

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 07:50 AM

Yup same thing with me ...

I am trying to get my email sent from my gmail account in outlook ... i cant do it.. i spent the whole day just trying to get it ryt .. pleas e please some one tell me a way out of this mess

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 05:50 PM

aussie rock chick & Niket Dave ,
If you have a problem you would like to discuss, please start your own topics.
This will help to avoid the confusion, of trying to help two or more people, in the same thread, with different problems.
Even if your problem is similar to the original poster's problem, the solution could be totally different due to different hardware, software, system requirements, etc....
This is also known as hijacking a thread, which is not considered to be proper forum etiquette.

Animal, Forum Moderator

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users