Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows Dual-Boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_philbo_*

Guest_philbo_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:28 PM

When I dual-boot Windows and Linux on a UEFI system, I copy and paste the Windows boot file from the EFI partition to a USB drive and store it in case I accidentally wipe it from the partition.

Fortunately, I haven't had to deal with this so far, so I'm wondering if there's any reason why it shouldn't work. For instance, can the Windows bootloader become outdated at some point, and refuse to work? Or can the copy and paste operation affect the file in any way?

I should note that I did test this some time ago with a Mageia bootloader (copy, paste, delete original, copy, paste replacement) and it worked fine, but never with Windows.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_philbo_*

Guest_philbo_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:13 PM

I must remember to test this next time I wipe Windows from my hard drive (if there is a next time).

I can see no reason for the copy/paste action to affect the EFI file except that the Linux file manager I used (Nautilus) showed the copied file to be of a larger size than the original.
That seemed a little strange to me.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:16 AM

Although I multi-boot with Windows 10, I use GRUB. No copy and paste action needed at all.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Guest_philbo_*

Guest_philbo_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:54 PM

Yes, I use GRUB too in a dual boot. But if I remove the Linux install, I also remove the boot files that were installed with it, leaving just the Windows bootloader.

I make a copy of the Windows EFI file before I dual-boot in case I accidentally delete or format the EFI partition. However, the fact that its properties appeared to change when copied just seemed weird.

It's quite possible that all this is simply a quirk associated with the Nautilus file manager.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:50 PM

I always make another EFI partition for my dual boots with windows 10, as windows has the nasty tendency to want to hog the bootloader for itself.

creating two separate efi partitions is a very good idea.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users