Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update problem

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 KrazyMonkey

KrazyMonkey

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:10 PM

Hi, i ran an Avast Smart scan and it tells me i need to install the Microsoft patch MS17-010.

from here https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms17-010.aspx

then clicked to here http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4012598

and downloaded the Vista one.

I tried to install but it just kept searching and searching but didn't do anything. now i'm unsure what to try. could it be a conflict with my Avast or COMODO?

Also i have a Win 8.1 and 10 laptops in the house do these need the patch as well? i've searched with avast and it says there both fine.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 350 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:33 AM

Hi KrazyMonkey:

For your Vista SP2 computer, see the instructions in W Phototu's thread KB4012598 wannacry ransomware patch not working on vista.  If you confirm that KB4012598 is currently missing from your system it's important that you terminate any Windows Update sessions already running in the background [Windows Update | Change settings | Important updates | Never check for updates (not recommended) and re-boot - the re-boot is critical] before running the .msu installer or the update will get stuck at "Checking for updates...".

For other Windows operating systems, please see the instructions in Woody Leonhard's InfoWorld blog How to make sure your Windows PC won't get hit by ransomware like WannaCry.

Note that KB4012598 (MS17-010: Security Update for Microsoft Windows SMB Server, March 14, 2017) should already be installed on your computer if your Windows Updates are running normally and successfully installed your March 2017 Patch Tuesday updates.  There are many Vista SP2 users currently having problems with slow Windows Updates and "Checking for updates..." hangs, so if you find that KB4012598 was not installed in March 2017 please read post # 423 in KellyB56's thread Windows Vista Update Hangs at "Checking For Updates" regarding a possible workaround.

-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.1.1 * NS Premium v22.9.3.13 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

#3 KrazyMonkey

KrazyMonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:34 PM

Hi KrazyMonkey:

Note that KB4012598 (MS17-010: Security Update for Microsoft Windows SMB Server, March 14, 2017) should already be installed on your computer if your Windows Updates are running normally and successfully installed your March 2017 Patch Tuesday updates.  There are many Vista SP2 users currently having problems with slow Windows Updates and "Checking for updates..." hangs, so if you find that KB4012598 was not installed in March 2017 please read post # 423 in KellyB56's thread Windows Vista Update Hangs at "Checking For Updates" regarding a possible workaround.

-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.1.1 * NS Premium v22.9.3.13 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

I had to do these updates. first 3 installed fine but the 4th is still pending. tried a second restart but that didn't work.

Error details Code 80242014

#4 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 350 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:10 PM

I had to do these updates. first 3 installed fine but the 4th is still pending. tried a second restart but that didn't work.  Error details Code 80242014

Hi KrazyMonkey:

If you managed to install KB3205638 (released 13-Dec-2016) that means that Windows Update hasn't run successfully on your Vista SP2 computer for at least six months.  I'm also uncertain if the .msu installer you ran yesterday for KB4012598 (the March 2017 patch for the WannaCry ransomware) was cancelled correctly after it got stuck at "Checking for updates..." or if it's still trying to run to completion.

According to the Windows Update Error Code List error 0x80242014 (WU_E_UH_POSTREBOOTSTILLPENDING) means that the post-reboot configuration for an update was likely still in progress when you tried to install one of your .msu installers.  I don't recall anyone else reporting that they encountered an error 80242014 while installing a standalone .msu installer as long as they followed all the steps listed in the step-by-step instructions on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours and re-booted when prompted after each installer had finished running.

Confirm that Windows Update is still disabled [Windows Update | Change settings | Important updates | Never check for updates (not recommended)], re-boot and wait for a few hours to see if your pending update ever finishes its final configuration.  Then try the step-by-step instructions in m#l's thread again and see if you can finish installing any speed up patches that are still missing from your system.  If the .msu installers for KB3205638, KB4012583 and KB4015195 ran correctly they should be listed at Control Panel | Programs and Features | View Installed Updates (as well as Windows Update | View Update History) and you should be able to skip those speed up patches this time around.

-----------

#5 KrazyMonkey

KrazyMonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:49 PM

The pending update finished overnight. so all of these are installed

KB3205638
KB4012583
KB4015195
KB4015380

I followed the m#l's thread and from what i can make out i had to run a manual Windows Update. i ran that but after 30mins or so searching it stopped with this

kRnGUKCJ.jpg

Windows automatic updater is still switched off

Edited by KrazyMonkey, 19 May 2017 - 12:51 PM.

#6 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 350 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:21 PM

The pending update finished overnight. so all of these are installed

KB3205638  KB4012583  KB4015195 KB4015380

I followed the m#l's thread and from what i can make out i had to run a manual Windows Update. i ran that but after 30mins or so searching it stopped with this..Windows automatic updater is still switched off

Hi KrazyMonkey:

Error 80072ee2 is a generic message but usually translates to a connection timeout - see the MS TechNet article Windows Update Error 80072ee2 (WSUS). Did you confirm that you were connected to the internet and then click the Try Again button to see what happened?

Open Internet Explorer and go to Help | About Internet Explorer.  If you have IE9 you will likely need to pre-install KB4014661 as well - see Note 2 of the instructions in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours for a download link.  Once that speed up patch is installed you should have Update Version 9.0.60 (KB4014661).  Then go to your installed updates at Control Panel | Programs and Features | View Installed Updates and confirm that KB3205638, KB4012583, KB4015195, KB4015380 and KB4014661 (if you have IE9) all installed successfully.  Post back for further instructions if you have MS Office 2010, MS Office 2007 or the MS Office Compatibility Pack SP3 installed - if you aren't sure check your past updates in Windows Update | View Update History (or go to Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features) to see if any of these Office-related products are listed.

Attached File  IE9 Version KB4014661 April 2017.png   17.66KB   0 downloads

Here are a few other things you can check.  If you have Vista SP2 you should have the latest version of the Windows Update Agent (WUA) v7.6.7600.256 at C:\Windows\system32\wuaueng.dll.  Your Windows Services (Start | All Programs | Administrative Tools | Services) should also show that your Windows Update service (wuauserv) has a status of Started.

Attached File  Windows Update Service Started.png   26.86KB   0 downloads

If you have a stable internet connection and everything looks fine with your Windows Update Agent and Wndows Update service, leave automatic Windows Updates disabled [i.e., Never check for updates (not recommended)], re-boot and try running a manual Windows Update again.  Keep an eye on your internet connection and make sure you maintain a stable connection - I'm not sure how you normally connect but my wireless connection to my router can be a bit unreliable some days.

If none of these suggestions help, I'd suggest trying using Torsten Wittrock's WSUS Offline Update tool just in case there's an issue with one of your Windows Update components.  This tool can be used to download and install important security updates for Vista SP2 and other Microsoft products like MS Office.  First-time users sometimes find this tool a bit confusing because it's a two-step process - first run UpdateGenerator.exe and select what updates you'd like to install from the interface (options for Vista SP2 are located on the Legacy Products tab) to download missing updates, then run UpdateInstaller.exe (located in the Client folder) to finish the installation.

-----------

Edited by lmacri, 19 May 2017 - 02:29 PM.

#7 KrazyMonkey

KrazyMonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:27 AM

apologies for the super late reply, been very busy.

Left the scan on for 4 or 5 hours and it didn't find anything.

Checked IE9 but i have IE8 installed and it doesn't connect to the internet. should i update? and what else do i need to do?

Thanks for the help

#8 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 350 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:58 AM

Left the scan on for 4 or 5 hours and it didn't find anything.  Checked IE9 but i have IE8 installed and it doesn't connect to the internet. should i update?

Hi KrazyMonkey:

IE9 was released in March 2011 so I'm not sure why you would still have IE8 installed unless you declined the upgrade to IE9 when it was offered by Windows Update back in 2011 or you have a more serious problem like a corrupted Windows Update component or Vista SP2 installation. I believe the last security update released for IE8 before it reached its end-of-life was KB3124275 (released 12-Jan-2016).  If you open IE8 and go to Help | About Internet Explorer the Update Versions (not the build number 8.00.6001.18702) should show you if KB3124275 is installed.

At this point your best alternative would be to avoid using Windows Update altogether and use the WSUS Offline Update tool to patch your system as I suggested <here>.

If you want to try Windows Update one more time, here are few things you could check.

First confirm that your .msu installers for KB3205638, KB4012583, KB4015195 and KB4015380 were all successfully installed. Go to Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features | View Installed Updates and search for each update by entering the full KB number in the search box (e.g., "KB3205638" and not a partial string like "3205638").

Attached File  Installed Update KB3205638 on 13 Dec 2016.png   49.07KB   0 downloads

If all four speed up patches installed successfully, did you remember to disable automatic Windows Updates [Windows Update | Change settings | Important updates | Never check for updates (not recommended)] and re-boot before running your manual Windows Update to prevent another "Checking for updates..." hang?  Did you install the required speed up patches for MS Office 2007, MS Office 2010 and/or the MS Office Compatibility Pack SP3 if any of these products are installed on your computer?

If you're sure everything is in order and Windows Update is still hanging at "Checking for updates..." you could try upgrading to Internet Explorer 9 by downloading the installer from https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/internet-explorer-9-details.aspx - the download page should auto-detect your Vista operating system and offer the correct 32-bit or 64-bit installer.  If IE9 installs successfully then re-boot and manually install KB4014661 (the latest 11-Apr-2017 cumulative security update for IE9) to see if that solves your Windows Update "Checking for updates..." hang.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.1.1 * NS Premium v22.9.4.8 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 03 June 2017 - 12:10 PM.

#9 KrazyMonkey

KrazyMonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:23 PM

Left the scan on for 4 or 5 hours and it didn't find anything.  Checked IE9 but i have IE8 installed and it doesn't connect to the internet. should i update?

If all four speed up patches installed successfully, did you remember to disable automatic Windows Updates [Windows Update | Change settings | Important updates | Never check for updates (not recommended)] and re-boot before running your manual Windows Update to prevent another "Checking for updates..." hang?  Did you install the required speed up patches for MS Office 2007, MS Office 2010 and/or the MS Office Compatibility Pack SP3 if any of these products are installed on your computer?

If you're sure everything is in order and Windows Update is still hanging at "Checking for updates..." you could try upgrading to Internet Explorer 9 by downloading the installer from https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/internet-explorer-9-details.aspx - the download page should auto-detect your Vista operating system and offer the correct 32-bit or 64-bit installer.  If IE9 installs successfully then re-boot and manually install KB4014661 (the latest 11-Apr-2017 cumulative security update for IE9) to see if that solves your Windows Update "Checking for updates..." hang.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.1.1 * NS Premium v22.9.4.8 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

All the .msu installers are installed. i can't seem to find these MS Office 2007, MS Office 2010 and/or the MS Office Compatibility Pack SP3 at all. nothing that says MS Office either

#10 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 350 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:36 PM

All the .msu installers are installed. i can't seem to find these MS Office 2007, MS Office 2010 and/or the MS Office Compatibility Pack SP3 at all. nothing that says MS Office either

Hi KrazyMonkey:

You don't have to worry about speed up patches for the MS Office 2007, MS Office 2010 and/or the MS Office Compatibility Pack SP3 if these products are not installed on your Vista SP2 computer.  You would have programs like MS Word and MS Excel on your computer if you had a MS Office suite installed.

If you remembered to disable automatic Windows Updates [Windows Update | Change settings | Important updates | Never check for updates (not recommended)] and re-boot before running your manual Windows Update and it still hangs for hours on "Checking for updates..." then re-read my comments in post # 8.  At this point I still think your best option would be to avoid using Windows Update altogether and use the WSUS Offline Update tool to patch your system as I suggested <here>.

Just an aside, but is this Vista SP2 computer working normally except for your slow Windows Updates, or are there other problems that you haven't mentioned?  I don't understand why your Internet Explorer browser was never updated from IE8 to IE9 unless this computer hasn't been used for several years.  You've also mentioned both Avast and Comodo, which makes me wonder if you're running multiple antivirus or firewall programs that are causing a software conflict or problems with your internet connection.

If you have problems patching your system with the WSUS Offline Update tool post back and I'll provide instructions on how to run and publish a diagnostic using the free Speccy utility so that I can take a closer look at your system.

-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.1.2 * NS Premium v22.9.4.8 * MBAM Premium v3.1.2

Edited by lmacri, 08 June 2017 - 02:37 PM.

#11 blyper

blyper

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:17 PM

If none of these suggestions help, I'd suggest trying using Torsten Wittrock's WSUS Offline Update tool just in case there's an issue with one of your Windows Update components.  This tool can be used to download and install important security updates for Vista SP2 and other Microsoft products like MS Office.  First-time users sometimes find this tool a bit confusing because it's a two-step process - first run UpdateGenerator.exe and select what updates you'd like to install from the interface (options for Vista SP2 are located on the Legacy Products tab) to download missing updates, then run UpdateInstaller.exe (located in the Client folder) to finish the installation.

Try using wsus (10.9.2) on virgin Vista SP2 but i found not so exciting performance.

I really hoped to bypass the manual singular catalog update with Wsus, but encountered 3 big issue

1) Ok in the first download & install Wsus update (about 300 update=7Gb). But after just 5 days, relaunching a new instance of WSUS, the program doesn't recognize the update just installed before and WGet goes for download (once again!) another piece of 7 GB of update. That's really waste of connection and time. I expected  it download only the missing update from the last installation, but it didn't turn in that way, at least for me!

2) The installed updates from WSUS don't appear in the Control Panel - Windows Update Installed instead of the manual or automatic KBxxxxx update. That thing it's not nice for searching & consulting list.

3) The Listing ids of missing updates phase can't last as much as a Windows Update hanging, cause if you put Office too in the WSUS you really risk to go over nights. Plus WOUT energy saving profile stucks indefinitely risking of burning a notebook.

So, i appreciate so much the Imacri helping post, his informations really have helped so many people with Vista, but what today it misses is a guide for keeping Vista SP2 updated without the above WSUS Offline problem.

Edited by blyper, 27 June 2017 - 04:19 PM.

#12 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:41 PM

Good tutorial video on how to use WSUS Offline -

Edited by jwoods301, 27 June 2017 - 04:49 PM.

#13 blyper

blyper

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:48 PM

thanks, i know this video also posted in other threads ;) 

#14 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 350 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:41 PM

Try using wsus (10.9.2) on virgin Vista SP2 but i found not so exciting performance.

I really hoped to bypass the manual singular catalog update with Wsus, but encountered 3 big issue...

Hi blyper:

After you ran UpdateGenerator.exe to download missing updates, did you finish the installation by running UpdateInstaller.exe (located in the Client folder)?  These updates are not installed by Windows Update so they're not listed in the Windows Update history (Control Panel | System and Maintenance | Windows Update | View Update History).  Instead, look in your list of installed updates at Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features | View Installed Updates and see if they appear there after your system is re-booted.  I believe there should also be a log at C:\Windows\wsusofflineupdate.log that you can open in any text editor like Notepad.

I have very little experience with Torsten Wittrock's WSUS Offline Update tool so you might get better support if you post your questions in the WSUS Offline Update forum at http://forums.wsusoffline.net/.

If you'd like to try getting Windows Update to work again see my instructions on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum. Note the special instructions if you have MS Office 2007, MS Office 2010 or the MS Office Compatibility Pack SP3 installed since there are additional speed up patches for these Office products that must be installed to prevent Windows Updates from hanging during the initial "Checking for updates...." phase.

-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.2.0 * NS Premium v22.9.4.8 * MBAM Premium v3.1.2

Edited by lmacri, 27 June 2017 - 09:43 PM.

#15 blyper

blyper

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:37 AM

Hi Imacri thank you for your answer, forever grateful for your answer.ms posts!!!

Indeed i closely followed WSUS Offline guide but in the control panel/program.../View Installed Updates doesen't appear freshed update list after several reboots.

Try to watch better at the WSUS forum but as i've been able to experiment the WSUS Offline solution can be effective (and really charm) to bypass the first WU hanging update but at the next lap you'll be destinated to get another ride (almost long as the WU) on WSUS horse to re-download everything/re-checking (7GB of stuff just for obtain a 25~50Mb of sporadic new MS patch. This prevent to be an optimal solution for daily/weekly usage.

At this point i think going for that solution:once a month, I download relative updates for Server2008 x86/X64 MS Catalog, put everything in a folder and launch the automatic Dalai script (lightly modified)= pasting in windows6.0 row the list of new KB released in the last month.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users