Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommendations for new Router? Busy Network.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Benjy Boo

Benjy Boo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:27 PM

Looking to upgrade my old Netgear WNDR3700v2.

My current setup is Virgin Media Superhub as a modem (due to poor wifi distance).

Netgear WNDR3700v2 wifi operating on both 2.4 and 5ghz, all 4 wired ports in use, one to a netgear switch.

Usually, three people using the internet at the same time, HD Tv/Netflix streaming, laptops, PC, mobile phones, IP phone (Vonage), tivo, NAS, printers, Alexa and smart home plugs 4+. 

Would you say that is a busy network? Plenty of ethernet cables that's for sure.  :lol:   

The speed I get from cable service provider is 200mbps, be nice if the upgrade of the router would give us the best use of the speed. (All ethernet cables are cat 6 on my network)

I tried upgrading once before some time ago with something similar to the Netgear R6100 big black box. But the wifi operating distance was poorer.

I wonder whether they have finally realised that even though external antennas are ugly they are better than internal antennas?

My current Router the WNDR3700 works in most rooms throughout a semi detached house and about 75 feet into the garden and doesn't have external antennas.

Any recommendations would be great.

Cheers. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rang0

Rang0

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:38 AM

I've been using the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 for the past 6 months and it's been great.

• My family of four has around 10 devices connected at any given time.  
  • We run quite a bit of Netflix/Youtube/Games without any issues.
  • Range has been excellent, covering our entire house/backyard/street.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Gigabit-Support-Compatible/dp/B00F0DD0I6/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_bs_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RGME6BQP36X7FMKF6FRZ

#3 Benjy Boo

Benjy Boo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:11 AM

I've been using the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 for the past 6 months and it's been great.

• My family of four has around 10 devices connected at any given time.  
  • We run quite a bit of Netflix/Youtube/Games without any issues.
  • Range has been excellent, covering our entire house/backyard/street.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Gigabit-Support-Compatible/dp/B00F0DD0I6/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_bs_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RGME6BQP36X7FMKF6FRZ

Thanks for the recommendation. I have had a look and see there is another model up called AC2600 for about £40 more.

Netgear AC1900 and AC2600 would anyone know if paying for the AC2600 would give me more speed, coverage and last me a few more years as the later seems to have more tech?

AC2600 mentions "MIMO technology" and "Quad Stream Wave2" for better wifi range? Anyone here got this router at all?

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:00 PM

Keep in mind the MIMO requires support on the devices that connect to the router in addition to support on the router for the MIMO (whether SU-MIMI or MU-MIMO) to be effective/useful. This is true of many more "advanced" features of WiFi. And many tablets and smartphones might not support MIMO as it require more chipsets that take up room and more antennas that take up room in what is already a small space.

The best way to add coverage in general is to go to an 802.11ac router, but that again requires the devices you are using that you want to get that better range on to also support 802.11ac (it is generally the "ac" upgrade that gets the greater range to my knowledge even though an "ac" router is backwards compatible with older version of 802.11 protocols such as 802.11n or older). Beyond that, typically routers with external antennas are capable of more range because at a minimum you might be able to replace the stock antennas with higher gain ones (but the stock antenna still might be higher gain than the internal antennas of some other routers).

More speed kind of depends on what you mean by more speed.

If you mean faster WiFi connections, then you are looking a MIMO or going to 802.11ac which supports faster throughput/speeds without MIMO or other such things. And this type of speed is relative. If all you are doing on a device is browsing the web or getting email messages (and that type of stuff), then a faster WiFi connection realistically will not gain you much...probably not enough that you would notice. OTOH, if you are downloading large files from the Internet (say 4 to 5 GB movies or large Windows patches, etc), then you will notice faster WiFi connections. You would also notice a faster WiFi connection if you are transferring files from device to device on your local network (something that you likely do since you mentioned a NAS).

If you mean being able to serve up content to lots of different devices better, then you are looking for a router with a faster/better processor and that can potentially supports MU-MIMO (but again the devices connecting to the router need to also support MU-MIMO, which most likely will not currently). It can be harder to determine, however, what processor many routers use. Thus, I would likely not worry too much about this UNLESS you are encountering issues with your current router serving content to multiple devices at a time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users