Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fast Internet, Slow Download Speed

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JayG93

JayG93

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:51 PM

Speedtest shows that my download speed is 71.50 Mbps, but when I download something (a steam game for example) my download speed is 200-300 kb/s, I usually get 8-9 mb/s. I'm using wired ethernet. My ISP says the issue is on my end & there's nothing they can do about it.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 18 May 2017 - 05:45 PM.
Moved from Win 10 to Networking.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:09 PM

Speedtest shows that my download speed is 71.50 Mbps, but when I download something (a steam game for example) my download speed is 200-300 kb/s, I usually get 8-9 mb/s. I'm using wired ethernet. My ISP says the issue is on my end & there's nothing they can do about it.

Does this happen when you download something from any site? Or is it specific to a site or a couple sites (you mention Steam)?

If it is the former, then I am not sure what you mean by "I usually get 8-9 mb/s" (by the way, do you mean 8-9 megabit/s or megabyte/s...big difference...factor of 8 difference...I am assuming megabyte as 8-9 megabytes/s would be about equal to the roughly 72 megabits/s you are getting from Speedtest). Do you mean when you are do just normal browsing type activities that does not involves specific downloads (technically going to any website involves a download)? Or do you mean that you get those faster speeds with some downloads? And if it is the former, then it is likely either something on your end, a lot of coincidence of bottlenecks to various sites (highly unlikely), or a problem on the ISP's end.

If it is the latter, then see below. My first guess would be a combination of two items listed in point #2.

In the mean time, a couple things to keep in mind (sorry if you already know this...just offering it up in case you did not)...

1) The speeds your ISP states as what you will get are only from your modem to their main switching station. Once your Internet traffic from your computer "leaves" their network and enters the Internet "proper", all bets are off as your traffic is now going through switches/servers/etc that they no longer control.

2) Download speeds from specific websites will depend on the path your traffic takes to get to that website AND how the website itself serves up connections/dowloads. For the former, you might go to connect to say Microsoft's website today that gets there by one route that goes faster, but tomorrow takes a different route that goes slow. When you connect to a website, think of it like driving from New York City to Los Angeles. There are many different routes you can take which use roads with different speeds and different total distances traveled, plus they go through different cities/location which may or may not have traffic congestion due to accidents, rush hour, etc. The same basic thing existing on the Internet. For the latter, some website have multiple servers handling connections from users so they can handle more users and offer higher download speeds...others might only have one server that has to limit download speeds when there are lots of connections.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:46 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

You have to remember that anything you do is limited by the slowest link in the chain.  For instance, if you have a GB Internet connection it isn't going to be of much help when you connect to a site that only has 100MB as you will be limited to the 100MB that they have.  This is why your ISP says they can't help.  Your speed test is good, so they are doing their part.

#4 michaelkyle

michaelkyle

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:15 PM

This type of problem occurs when we download from a high traffic site or when the server of the downloadable file is bad, so you can try to download some other file and check your speed, If it's not good then there is some problem in the network.

#5 JayG93

JayG93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:49 PM

No, every download from anywhere is slow. Perhaps this thread can help, I've been trying to get help from here. http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3417494/fast-internet-slow-download-speed.html#19714607

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:37 PM

No, every download from anywhere is slow. Perhaps this thread can help, I've been trying to get help from here. http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3417494/fast-internet-slow-download-speed.html#19714607

From reading through the other thread on Tom's, I would tend to agree with the final suggestion...your first step at this point should be to talk to your ISP. It seems to potentially be an ISP related issue, which can be a pain to deal with as you might have to fight with them to really look deeply. What kind of connection do you have? Cable? DSL? Fiber? With what ISP? I ask because there are some who might be able to help with more specifics.

The other potential thing from that thread was the possibility of an infection. If you want to fully rule that out, then you might try posting to the Am I Infected? forum here and get help running some scans.

#7 JayG93

JayG93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:56 PM

From reading through the other thread on Tom's, I would tend to agree with the final suggestion...your first step at this point should be to talk to your ISP. It seems to potentially be an ISP related issue, which can be a pain to deal with as you might have to fight with them to really look deeply. What kind of connection do you have? Cable? DSL? Fiber? With what ISP? I ask because there are some who might be able to help with more specifics.

The other potential thing from that thread was the possibility of an infection. If you want to fully rule that out, then you might try posting to the Am I Infected? forum here and get help running some scans.

Alright, I'm going to call them again & ask for a full workup this time. I have Cable, & my ISP is Spectrum.

Will do, thanks.

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:14 PM

Alright, I'm going to call them again & ask for a full workup this time. I have Cable, & my ISP is Spectrum.

Will do, thanks.

About the only other thing might be an issue with either the modem, router, or maybe your network card/interface on the computer.

You mentioned in the Tom's thread that the ISP installed a new modem, so that likely is not it. Is it a modem or a gateway (i.e. modem/router combo)? In other words, do you have a separate router? Or is just the one box that the computer connects to? If you have a separate router, have you tried connecting directly to the modem to see if anything changes? I apologize if you already addressed it in the Tom's thread, but I did not recall and did not want to throughly go back through that thread. The only effective way to test that network card in the computer that I can think of off the top of my head is the take the computer to a friend's or relative's house and try the computer there and see if anything changes.

#9 JayG93

JayG93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:22 PM

Will do, thanks.

About the only other thing might be an issue with either the modem, router, or maybe your network card/interface on the computer.

You mentioned in the Tom's thread that the ISP installed a new modem, so that likely is not it. Is it a modem or a gateway (i.e. modem/router combo)? In other words, do you have a separate router? Or is just the one box that the computer connects to? If you have a separate router, have you tried connecting directly to the modem to see if anything changes? I apologize if you already addressed it in the Tom's thread, but I did not recall and did not want to throughly go back through that thread. The only effective way to test that network card in the computer that I can think of off the top of my head is the take the computer to a friend's or relative's house and try the computer there and see if anything changes.

It's a combo, I didn't mention that anywhere yet. I'd rather not want to have to do that, as the desktop is large.

#10 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:34 PM

It's a combo, I didn't mention that anywhere yet. I'd rather not want to have to do that, as the desktop is large.

Then that also kind of rules out the router as an issue since it was effectively replaced with the modem since they are a combo unit.

I forget...are you connecting by ethernet or WiFI? You do not mention here and I don't recall fully recall from the Tom's thread. I want to say it is ethernet, but my memory could faulty and I am too lazy to wade back through the Tom's thread.

As to lugging the desktop to someone's house, I understand...my current desktop is big and HEAVY (it does not help that I have 5 hard drives inside it). If your ISP is a pain in the rear about the whole issue and insists it is something on your end, it might help you argue your case if you can say "well, I lugged my desktop to my friend's house and used their connection where things worked perfectly fine". At that point, their case becomes much more weaker that it is on your end as it is THEIR modem/router, so everything beyond your desktop is THEIR responsibility and/or equipment. That does not mean they will necessarily be less of a pain about it, but it would give you more ammunition. And, of course, if you do take the desktop to someone else's house and you have the same problem, then that proves they were right and we can start trying to figure out what is going on with your computer to cause the problem.

The other way to kind of test if it is your computer is if you have another computer that you can use on your connection to see if it has the same problems you have on you computer. If two computers have the same problem, then that tends to suggest it is an issue with either the router/modem combo unit or the ISP connection in general. And this potentially can be easier to test if you have friend with a laptop (much lighter than a desktop to lug around) that can come over to test your connection (this, of course, assumes you are not a computer geek like me with multiple computers...or maybe a family with multiple member of the family who have computers).

#11 JayG93

JayG93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:49 PM

Then that also kind of rules out the router as an issue since it was effectively replaced with the modem since they are a combo unit.

I forget...are you connecting by ethernet or WiFI? You do not mention here and I don't recall fully recall from the Tom's thread. I want to say it is ethernet, but my memory could faulty and I am too lazy to wade back through the Tom's thread.

As to lugging the desktop to someone's house, I understand...my current desktop is big and HEAVY (it does not help that I have 5 hard drives inside it). If your ISP is a pain in the rear about the whole issue and insists it is something on your end, it might help you argue your case if you can say "well, I lugged my desktop to my friend's house and used their connection where things worked perfectly fine". At that point, their case becomes much more weaker that it is on your end as it is THEIR modem/router, so everything beyond your desktop is THEIR responsibility and/or equipment. That does not mean they will necessarily be less of a pain about it, but it would give you more ammunition. And, of course, if you do take the desktop to someone else's house and you have the same problem, then that proves they were right and we can start trying to figure out what is going on with your computer to cause the problem.

The other way to kind of test if it is your computer is if you have another computer that you can use on your connection to see if it has the same problems you have on you computer. If two computers have the same problem, then that tends to suggest it is an issue with either the router/modem combo unit or the ISP connection in general. And this potentially can be easier to test if you have friend with a laptop (much lighter than a desktop to lug around) that can come over to test your connection (this, of course, assumes you are not a computer geek like me with multiple computers...or maybe a family with multiple member of the family who have computers).

Ethernet.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

I've actually tried downloading something on another PC & it seemed significantly faster. However, the connection on my main PC likes to fluctuate now, so I'm not sure if the connection was good at that time. I'm going to try downloading the same file at the same time on both PCs & see if there's a difference.

#12 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:57 PM

I'm going to try downloading the same file at the same time on both PCs & see if there's a difference.

Good idea. I would further recommend multiple tests as one test typically not enough of a data sample size. For example, you could hit one of your good fluctuation periods on the desktop during the test and everything looks good.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users