Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer for general use and entertainment.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Zaffy

Zaffy

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:03 PM

I have decided to buy a computer. I have an old laptop.  The keyboard is horrible.  I do not have a television.  I do not play games.  I watch television and YouTube documentaries. I do not watch films.  I do not want the screen to be extra large. Broadband in my area is very slow.  How do I begin my search and where do I go to buy it?  Thank you.  PS: All tech question will go over my head, please keep it simple.  Thanks. I live in the UK.

Edited by Zaffy, 17 May 2017 - 03:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joykill

Joykill

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:26 PM

Your options are almost limitless, especially when your needs are so vague.

Perhaps a Chormebook could be something to consider? It doesn't run Windows, like most computers do. It is very much a no-frills solution. Typically doesn't slow down the way Windows does and they tend to be inexpensive. It is a system made for browsing the internet, so it excels in that. If you use desktop software such as Microsoft Office, a Chromebook might not be for you since it cannot run very complicated office suites.

#3 Zaffy

Zaffy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:12 PM

Joykill, I use Outlook for emails: Windows 10: Word documents: And I buy and sell on Ebay, so store quite a few photographs.  I also use my laptop as a substitute television.  I would like to change from a laptop to a desk top computer with a larger screen. Hope this gives a better idea of what I am looking for.  Thanks.

Edited by Zaffy, 17 May 2017 - 05:23 PM.

#4 Joykill

Joykill

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:18 AM

Joykill, I use Outlook for emails: Windows 10: Word documents: And I buy and sell on Ebay, so store quite a few photographs.  I also use my laptop as a substitute television.  I would like to change from a laptop to a desk top computer with a larger screen. Hope this gives a better idea of what I am looking for.  Thanks.

Your requirements are still rather vague. Budget range, for example? 

From what I heard you talking about so far, this one could be an option priced at 200gbp at the time of writing. 

#5 Zaffy

Zaffy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:39 AM

Sorry to be vague but I am not sure what is relevant.

A middling budget is not a problem but I do not want to spend money on software/hardware that I will never use. 

The last television I had was analogue and when that went digital, I watched programmes on this laptop with a plug in mini amp.  This laptop is a 4GB DDR3 memory / 500 GB HDD and the screen is approx. 38 cm.  I would like double that size and I would like good speakers.  Should they be integral or separate?   I have not had a problem with memory, however laptop is slow and fibre optics have not reached this part of the world.  The laptop is old.  When I get my new one I will keep  it for years, so I want to get it right.   I presume there are 3 hardware parts to the set up, a processor, a screen and a keyboard and maybe speakers if not integral.  When I go to a shop to buy, I want to offer more than, "I want a computer, please."  However, I am learning already, I understand I should have SSD and HDD.   Thanks.     

Edited by Zaffy, 18 May 2017 - 10:41 AM.

#6 Joykill

Joykill

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:21 AM

Sorry to be vague but I am not sure what is relevant.

A middling budget is not a problem but I do not want to spend money on software/hardware that I will never use. 

The last television I had was analogue and when that went digital, I watched programmes on this laptop with a plug in mini amp.  This laptop is a 4GB DDR3 memory / 500 GB HDD and the screen is approx. 38 cm.  I would like double that size and I would like good speakers.  Should they be integral or separate?   I have not had a problem with memory, however laptop is slow and fibre optics have not reached this part of the world.  The laptop is old.  When I get my new one I will keep  it for years, so I want to get it right.   I presume there are 3 hardware parts to the set up, a processor, a screen and a keyboard and maybe speakers if not integral.  When I go to a shop to buy, I want to offer more than, "I want a computer, please."  However, I am learning already, I understand I should have SSD and HDD.   Thanks.     

Integrated speakers typically are very, very bad. If you care about audio fidelity, you want to look for external speakers.  

So if I understand you currently you're more looking for a general guide of what to be aware of. Right. 

SSD (Solid State Drive) > HDD (Hard Disk Drive). SSD and HDDs are the components that hold the data your computer stores - that would mean videos, photos, text documents etc. are stored on this component. 

SSD's are a ton faster than traditional hard drives - this means a overall much faster computer. They are however more expensive than hard drives per gigabyte. If you're up for paying the little extra, an SSD is absolutely worth it. 

Memory (also called RAM) determines how good the computer is at multi-tasking. More memory results in better performance when using multiple tabs, documents, etc. The standard nowadays is around 8GB of RAM.

What you will need to buy: a computer (I believe you are confusing this with the processor. The computer is the actual box that contains the computers components. The two aforementioned components comes in this box), a screen, a keyboard, a mouse and potentially a set of speakers. 

I hope that helps. Let me know if you encounter any further questions. 

Edited by Joykill, 18 May 2017 - 11:22 AM.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:55 PM

How much space do you have available on your current 500GB drive?  If you have plenty a 480GB to 512GB Solid State Drive (SSD) would be fine.  If you're close to 500GB then you might want to go with a 256GB SSD and a 1TB mechanical drive.

What you do isn't going to be pushing any limits for a modern computer.  I recommend 8GB of RAM and a 256GB or better SSD.  Other than that you're pretty wide open, depending of course on how full your current drive is.

Knowing how much you can spend on it would be a big help.

#8 Zaffy

Zaffy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:27 PM

How much space do you have available on your current 500GB drive?  If you have plenty a 480GB to 512GB Solid State Drive (SSD) would be fine.  If you're close to 500GB then you might want to go with a 256GB SSD and a 1TB mechanical drive.

What you do isn't going to be pushing any limits for a modern computer.  I recommend 8GB of RAM and a 256GB or better SSD.  Other than that you're pretty wide open, depending of course on how full your current drive is.

Knowing how much you can spend on it would be a big help.

My Disk Space (C:)  370 GB.

Used Space 80.7

Price £800 - £1000

#9 Zaffy

Zaffy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:29 PM

So my list is. A Computer: SSD: 8GB RAM.  External Speakers:  Mouse:  25” Screen: Keyboard.

Questions:

Do I have to take into account pixels - high definition - LED screen.

What is an all-in-one-PC?

I presume I use the software from this computer?

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:02 AM

I think I will go with the chromebook suggestion myself as your needs are actually very small.

I mean sure yes you use Microsoft office but there is microsoft office online as while its not the full program still retains a lot of the features of office only being inside a web browser.

If you really want to have a regular IBM based PC and use windows there are plenty of options such as buying refurbished, building your own or just go with buying a regular PC.

I would not worry about technical details as you can still get what you need for a good price.

Here is a cool system for well under your budget:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Desktop-PCs/Dell-Inspiron-Desktop-Processor-Monitor/B01IMX63SY/ref=sr_1_23?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1495201578&sr=1-23

Not only is it actually quite a good machine even though its a bit old in specs will do you good.

I mean its got a core Core i5-4440 which is a utterly great processor even now.

Heck you can get this version of it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Desktop-PCs/Dell-Inspiron-Desktop-Processor-Monitor/B01IMX62OE/ref=sr_1_23?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1495201578&sr=1-23&th=1

With a Intel Pentium G3250

Sure not nearly as good but it would serve your needs perfectly.

Though I say they cheapened out on the monitor for this one

Just add on windows 10 later and you got yourself a steal in either case

Edited by MadmanRB, 19 May 2017 - 09:04 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#11 Joykill

Joykill

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:47 PM

Do I have to take into account pixels - high definition - LED screen.

Again, depends on your needs. Full HD (1920x1080px) is the standard. It determines how sharp the image on the monitor looks and how much you can see at once. For example, you may want to opt for full HD if you want to have two Word documents open side by side. 

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,781 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:15 PM

That's why I like the Dell with the i5 as its got a great 1080p monitor it looks like

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#13 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:36 AM

Since you're only using 81GB.  I'd recommend 8GB, 256GB Solid State Drive (SSD), 27" 1920x1080 (1080p) monitor.  I've vote against the Chromebook due to your slow Internet access as a Chromebook actually runs everything from the cloud.

HP ProDesk 400 G4, Amazon doesn't make it easy to find new machines with the specs you specify.  I'm sure Dell has a similar style machine.

Here's a 27" Monitor to go with it.  Total for both is 879 plus tax, title and delivery.  This monitor has VGA, HDMI, and Display Port, so you can hook up a variety of device.  HP goes with Display Port, Dell goes with HDMI.

Going from a mechanical drive to a SSD makes a world of different, the rest is just gravy.

#14 Zaffy

Zaffy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:18 PM

Kilroy, with you with not going for the Chromebook, would I not be going from one laptop to another?  Madman suggested a Dell Inspiron but I think it is not SSD.  

#15 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,781 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:20 PM

Well SSD's can always be added in later with some tweaking

Proud Vivaldi user.