Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Computers Can Create Magic ...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:20 PM

I was lucky and found a local, reputable firm that takes old computers (including mine) - strips them and from all the different parts, create 'new' ones - which are then donated free of charge to kids (young and old). This particular firm told me that there is apparently similar places in nearly every town and city - and they even come to pick up your old computer.

Just a wee request - with school starting once again - if you have an old computer - please, please don't toss it out, try giving it away. (Do realize many have concerns about privacy but have read advise here how to 'wipe clean' one's harddrive, etc, prior to donating it).

Thanks so much,
Mara
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:37 PM

A very good idea, Mara. It is like a computer's organ donation card; a salvaged part might fix another more workable computer, or the computer you donate may be repaired. In either case, your "outmoded" or "broken" computer can be something very precious to someone without any computer whatsoever.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:55 PM

thats how i got mine, i got it for 100$ and have built a high end top of the line gaming machine, and it runs all my software for school, it all cost under 350$
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 08:21 PM

Great Idea Mara
Here in NY/NJ

Goodwill Industries of Greater New York and Northern NJ
4-21 27th Avenue
Astoria, NY 11102
Phone: 1-718-728-5400 or 1-718-777-6306 (TTY/TDD)
Fax: 1-718-728-9023
E-mail: info@goodwillny.org
Accepting clothing, furniture, furnishings, and computers.
Website provides extensive list of addresses for donation bins in New York and New Jersey.

Ten Tips for Donating a Computer
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users