Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 computers on network won't connect

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nikwak

nikwak

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:13 AM

I have Windows 10. I have 4 computers on the same (non-wireless) network and they all show up in Network Places on all computers. On 2 of the computers I cannot access either of them without the ID Required security box popping up. Neither of the computers is password protected. I have Password Sharing switched off in Advanced Sharing Settings and I have gone into Computer Management and changed settings in there to see if that makes a difference. From these 2 computers that won't connect I can connect to any of the other computers on the network with no problem whatsoever. I have disabled anti-virus on both computers. Disabled Firewalls and have now got to the point where I have run out of options. Can anybody give me any other ideas to try? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:16 PM

Are the accounts named the same on each computer? I have found that when using Windows networking, it helps if all the computers use the same Workgroup name and the accounts on all the computer have the same name and same password. That is about extend of what I understand about Windows built-in networking/sharing function...and even then I find situations where I cannot connect or computers don't show up.

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:34 AM

Are the accounts named the same on each computer? I have found that when using Windows networking, it helps if all the computers use the same Workgroup name and the accounts on all the computer have the same name and same password. That is about extend of what I understand about Windows built-in networking/sharing function...and even then I find situations where I cannot connect or computers don't show up.

Im in the same boat , but i dont let windows Control the Sharing.

In Network / Advanced Sharing   I select "Use User Accounts and Passwords"

Then when exploring drives and select Network  /The  Other PC ? / and enter that Username and Password and Connect.

As smax013 said also , i use the same password on all 4 Pcs.

Then on each PC i select what to Share etc from  Advance Sharing Settings on them.

Never had much success with the Generated Sharing Password.

Edited by Havachat, 19 May 2017 - 03:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users