Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cheapest safe car

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:58 AM

A friend of mine asked me this question, since he wants to purchase a car and knows that I have interest in the automotive industry. I, however, found it hard to find an answer for him, so here I am, trying to get advice from you guys.:)

He doesn't care about anything else in a new car besides its price and safety. Thus, he asked me:

Which is the cheapest car that has a 5-star safety rating? (or the applicable such maximum rating in other countries)

I am pretty sure that the current Mercedes-Benz S-Class is the safest commercially available car ever. However, as you would imagine, its pricetag reflects it.
Is there a car which is in the same echelon when it comes to safety, not comfort, as that?
Thank you!:)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:02 AM

Google - Where You Live - Cheapest car 5-star safety rating.

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:17 AM

Google - Where You Live - Cheapest car 5-star safety rating.

I did, but it turned out to be one of those way too much to filter sporadic information type of things. For example, most websites only talked about America and listed almost exclusively Japanese and American vehicles. Other articles felt way too promoted, as it seemed like GM had a bit too many entries on their list. As for my country in particular, I couldn't find any useful information, but most cars sold in the USA are also sold in the European Union and thus in here as well, in about the same safety spec/trim. Surprisingly, probably the most useful info I seeked out was in the comment sections under these articles. However, it was pretty inconclusive and it didn't help that many comments were just Internet battles between the members, how the ratings have no meaning any more and how you couldn't compare different cars via them. Also, with the advent of the electric cars, many vehicles now have no engine and therefore have a huge front crumple zone which makes them the de facto winners in these front collision safety rating tests. Another member, however, pointed out that many Porsches have always had no front engine and they've faired not much better in safety ratings tests, so the argument that Teslas should automatically be declared the safest cars in the world is invalid.
And so, as you can see, I got pretty overwhelmed and even more confused, so I decided to pose this inquiry in here and see your thoughts.:)

#4 megakotaro

megakotaro

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:06 PM

Go to IIHS website and find the cars which win "TOP SAFETY PICK" or "TOP SAFETY PICK+". Then go to these cars websites and compare their price.

If I only think about safety, I recommend Volvo s60.

Edited by megakotaro, 18 May 2017 - 09:08 PM.

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:43 AM

Thank you!:)

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:42 PM

I think the term "safe car" is very silly as really every can can be rendered unsafe because of the person who drives and or the idiots around you on the road.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:02 PM

Since 2006, I have been taken by the BMW models.  Over the last 50 years I have driven hundreds of models, from two door coupes to big luxury four doors, none of which were over three years old (mostly rentals).  When first introduced to BMW, it was a used 2002 325i model. I was taken back but the solid feel, no rattles, squeeks, groans or rumbles.  Just a solid feel.  And the handling was precise and very stable.  I opted for a used 1995  525i that was clean, no dents and clean interior.  It had 145K on the odometer and showed no signs of any wear.  The engine was clean and showed no signs of oil or coolant leakage.  I have since put 45K on top and only experienced two faults.  The first was a starter, due to the car being used as a taxi for young adults to get to work in the first year and experienced more starts and stops on the motor than in the previous 145K.  The battery was next, and both battery and starter were original equipment.  Safety is superior due to the design of crumple zones in critical areas and being a rear wheel drive, has added structure in the engine compartment.  The prices are comparable to any other German model, less than AUDI or MBZ but a more manageable  price from certified dealers will get a pleasing and safe car to drive.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:22 PM

I think the term "safe car" is very silly as really every can can be rendered unsafe because of the person who drives and or the idiots around you on the road.

I don't.   The term "safe car" means one that is most likely to keep you from injury in the case of an accident based on safety features.   Whether you're an idiot driver and crash (whether into someone or something) or are crashed into by someone/something else there are definitely cars that are significantly safer than others.

"Safe car" isn't an absolute.  It's not describing a fortress vehicle, but one that minimizes likelihood of injury or minimization of actual injury via the application of safety features.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,220 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:45 AM

Yeah but unless you go get a Abrams tank there is no such thing as a safe car just a "as safe as you can get" car

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:38 AM

Yeah but unless you go get a Abrams tank there is no such thing as a safe car just a "as safe as you can get" car

Like I said, it's shorthand for exactly that concept.   There are lots of these in any spoken language.

A sensible person realizes that all principles that can be expressed in a statement of finite length are oversimplified. 
    ~ Robert Heppe

Some are a bit more oversimplified than others.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#11 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:51 AM

One thing that I have had the advantage of was the driving of a van, large and readily seen by everyone.  A good set of mirrors with wide angle lenses makes for comfortable driving without having to move your head around to see everything.  A van is also intimidating.  If I wanted to change lanes, application of the turn signal was all that was needed, drivers go out of the way and quickly.  There have been days where stupid drivers were so crazy, it makes you wish you had a tank to just run over them.

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 28 May 2017 - 06:42 PM

Vans ?  Wimp !  Short of a main battle tank try 40 tons of artic if you want space - sorry, respect. And they have bigger and more mirrors !

Still, having once had somebody at least briefly consider going underneath my traller to get to their exit off a roundabout, you wonder if anything is safe. As I once saw it written 'The biggest problem in auto safety is the nut holding the steering wheel!'

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#13 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:41 AM

I own a Subaru. They're rated pretty safe, mine is a Baja, I can't see me ever getting rid of it. Great cars. I also own a Kia, the newer ones are supposed to be rated pretty safe also.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#14 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:34 PM

An old saying comes to mind.  " It takes 2,409 screws and bolts to hold a car together but only one loose nut behind the wheel to scatter it all over the road."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users