Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

$1500 PC, why is it lagging?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

#1 araragi

araragi

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:16 AM

Initially when I made this custom PC, it was near perfect in performance. Except that it BSOD a few times and before I knew it, it was lagging like crazy in some games.

When there is a large spawn of mobs, it lags to 1 FPS. Not even my 300 dollar desktop lags that much.

So I did a clean reset of my PC

I tested the clean PC and it still lagged.

Can anyone help me?

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/wI37wIrgcDVZTJb2CUEQ4uS

Edited by araragi, 17 May 2017 - 05:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:12 AM

This Skylake cpu did not come with a heatsink/fan, What are you currently using?

I ask because with these Skylake 170 boards, if you get the heatsink too tight to the board, it'll cause funky operation, like improper memory configuration and bsod's

Your 2400 memory is only running at 2100 speed

Edited by Joe C, 17 May 2017 - 10:47 AM.

#3 araragi

araragi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:52 AM

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

I'm not sure if mine is too tight to the board though, how tight should it be? I definitely don't want it randomly falling.

How can I change the 2100 to 2400?

Btw, why does putting the heatsink too tight cause BSOD and improper memory configuration?

EDIT: So I read a post that told me to enable XMP. And I did.

Can you check my speccy to see if it is now at the correct speed?

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/guPbQiRk3HPqwv2NLWfKE1V

I also realized that it says my computer type is a tablet. But isn't it a desktop..?

Edited by araragi, 18 May 2017 - 06:24 AM.

#4 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:23 AM

I used that same heatsink.

There are two types of stand-offs with that Hyper 212, short ones and long one's. I used the long one's when I built my i5 and although it did not seem "tight" it worked and temps are good. I then used the shorter stand offs on my i7 build and I had to use a little force to get the screws started into the standoffs, of course they got tighter the more I screwed it down. At first with it too tight I got a bsod and a beep code and no boot, I adjusted the memory down to 2100 and disabled XMP but then my ssd was not running at it's proper speed. After some research I switched the 4 stand offs to the longer ones and everything is good. You may be o.k. with your present set up. It's just one of those strange things that possibly might happen.

Follow this guide to switch from tablet mode to desktop

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1013056/

You can get CPUID to show your cpu and memory speeds.

Go to the MSI web site for your motherboard and in the Utility area,scroll down to CPU-Z MSI GAMING and download that

Edited by Joe C, 18 May 2017 - 07:42 AM.

#5 chaz69allen1

chaz69allen1

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:12 PM

Have you pulled the heatsink off to verify it is in fact contacting properly.

#6 araragi

araragi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:51 AM

Pull the heatsink off to see if it is contacting? You mean if the heatsink and CPU is contacting? If so, yes it is. If I pull it off, it won't be.

Standoffs are the item that you use to prevent the motherboard from touching the case right?

Why does it matter about the length?

My CPU temp seems fine though.

If anything, I noticed my GPU has the highest temp of 50C and when I checked in the case, the fans weren't on.

I read that some GPU don't open their fans until a certain temperature, so this is normal.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also, my heatsink is FULL of dust. But still, it has good temperature, so no problem, right?

You said my CPU may be too tight, but it has always been like that since I made this custom PC.

It was after perhaps 6 months after I made the PC that it started BSOD. And it's actually only been year since I had this..

Edited by araragi, 19 May 2017 - 10:57 AM.

#7 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:09 PM

That Hyper 212 has a back plate that goes on the back of the motherboard. then you use standoffs on the cpu side of your motherboard to connect to the back plate. It is true that there are stand offs for the motherboard for the back side of your PC Case, but the stand offs I am referring too are the one's for the cpu. If your heatsink is dirty, then poor air flow through it may cause your cpu to run hotter than it should and then your cpu will throttle down (lower speed) to keep itself from over heating, that is a possibility that your pc could be lagging, plus those dust bunnies are very bad for the motherboard because they can also cause electrical shorts, get a can of air and blow out all that dust. Your temps might look good at idle, but when playing a game the higher demand under load may cause your cpu to get hotter than it should. 

You can download CPU HWMonitor to keep an eye on your temps and voltages

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

If you have been running 6 months without issue, then it is also possible that something malicious could be using your resources, you should check that first to be sure your o.s. is clean from anything that could slow it down

Edited by Joe C, 19 May 2017 - 07:24 PM.

#8 araragi

araragi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:55 PM

Well I had Malwarebytez installed before I reinstalled Windows..

I'm pretty sure the chance of malware is near 0 since I had reinstalled, and have antivirus on at all times.

But thank you for letting me know the CPU lowers it speed to prevent overheating. I will buy air pressure can someday.

So there is no problem with GPU?

Please answer this question: Is compressed air cans (one used for keyboard and dust in computer components) dangerous? I saw really horrifying images of blown up hands and eyes so..

What air compressor do you recommend?

Edited by araragi, 19 May 2017 - 09:00 PM.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 4,078 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:06 PM

I have never known of canned air to be dangerous other than if it's used for huffing (not something I've ever done) or if you have really old canned air with propellants that are now banned (not likely).

What you're probably seeing photos of are accidents with compressed air which is at pressures far beyond what you're talking about with canned air.  Just don't throw canned air into a fire or store it in really high heat conditions and I can't imagine you'll have any issue.

Brian   AKA  Bri the Tech Guy      Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1703, Build 15063

-> (my website address is in my profile)

Most problems precisely defined are already partially solved.
         ~ Harry Lorayne, Memory Makes Money

#10 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:08 AM

I have a mini air compressor because canned gets expensive if you need compressed air on a daily basis. The canned air you buy at the stores to clean out your pc is really compressed CO2, and if you hold it upside down, you can get liquid CO2, not a good idea for your pc parts and even worse for your skin, freezer burn. So hold it upright and you'll be good. Remember to tie your fan blades in place or use the end of a pencil to keep them from spinning around from the force of air, it prevents damage to your fans. I've also heard a rumor that the spinning fan can have a generator effect on you other pc parts too, but I'm not sure on that.. And yes...your GPU can get plugged up with dust and running that too hot will also affect your gaming experience.

They put an irritant in those cans today, although CO2 is considered a safe gas, you can still suffocate from getting a lack of oxygen. The irritant keeps those punks from "huffing" it. Also take your pc to a well ventilated area to clean it out, like outdoors

Edited by Joe C, 20 May 2017 - 10:19 AM.

#11 araragi

araragi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:06 PM

I live in an apartment so outdoors is not possible.

Honestly I do not think just getting rid of dust in my PC will turn this occasional 1 FPS to at least back to the consistent 70 FPS I had back then I first made this PC.

Any other solutions?

Btw, my friend got a GTX 1080 and he let me test it on my system. It was just a little more smooth, but I still get 1 FPS when a lot of mobs spawn.

On another game, osu!, I can put on Unlimited FPS and I get about 400 FPS this way. And not very often, but some stutters come with that 400 FPS.

Anyone able to see the problem yet?

Edited by araragi, 20 May 2017 - 10:31 PM.

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

I'm different!

• Members
  • 1,690 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:39 AM

Yes please clean it of dust as dust is the worst enemy for making the computer heat up and dropping performance.

You can put a titan X in that thing and it would not matter because dust is what is probably causing your woes.

Heck you can spend money on the highest end gear and still face these issues if you dont keep things clean and maintained.

A computer is not a piece of furniture, its not a TV nor a bookshelf and it needs your attention now and then.

Get a can of air and if in a apartment like i am take the computer into the bathroom and maybe in the tub if it is dry and no there is no dripping water next to it, alternatively prop it on the toilet with the seat cover down.

Alternatively take it to the most open space and do it there making sure to open a window if possible.

Edited by MadmanRB, 21 May 2017 - 09:48 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#13 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 4,078 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:49 AM

MadmanRB wrote, in part, "dust is the worst enemy for making the computer heat up and dropping performance."

Yup.  It doesn't take much for it to act as a major insulator, which is the last thing you want on a heat sink.  It's kinda like putting a parka on it and the effect tends to be worse in laptops than desktops just due to the extremely constricted air flow space.

Brian   AKA  Bri the Tech Guy      Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1703, Build 15063

-> (my website address is in my profile)

Most problems precisely defined are already partially solved.
         ~ Harry Lorayne, Memory Makes Money

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

I'm different!

• Members
  • 1,690 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:57 AM

Indeed and by having dust you are just wishing for it to choke things up and even kill your machine.

Dust causes heat buildup and heat buildup kills components.

I have seen it happen, dont risk your machine on dust particles

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#15 araragi

araragi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:21 AM

OK, I understand. Give me a few days and I'll try to find and buy that compressed air. I'll come back after I clean my PC up.

Before we come to the conclusion my CPU or heat sink is the problem, let's test out my CPU with stress test with CPU-Z from MSI.

Edited by araragi, 21 May 2017 - 10:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users