Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vega at $649 retail? Duo at $999??

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:07 AM

Assuming this is AMD's long awaited/rumored  'GTX1080 Ti-killer'/competitor....

Darn sure better *at least* match the 1080 Ti if releasing at a $649 price....

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11403/amd-unveils-the-radeon-vega-frontier-edition

Or should folks buy it simply because it is 'newer technology', or shall we at least await benchmarks? :)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:12 AM

Yeah unsure if AMD can dethrone the 1080, if it performs well then maybe but it has its work cut out for it at its price point.

For those owning a GTX 1060/70 or RX 4/580 the incentive to go vega is very weak and if it cant match the 1080 it makes vega look like a poor choice unless they make it cheaper.

Edited by MadmanRB, 17 May 2017 - 09:16 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:28 PM

At these prices, AMD has lost before the cards makes it to market. :lol:

Really $999 for the Pro Duo & who knows what for the Vega Frontier's Edition, NVIDIA will be up to the challenge, and I'll now surely wait before purchasing what will likely be my last GPU upgrade for 2-3 years. Even if AMD comes out on top initially, NVIDIA will shoot their cards down by pulling yet another cat out of the bag, and best of all, using less power to overtake AMD as King once again. 

The only reason why I want AMD to remain afloat, is to keep NVIDIA pricing in check, nothing else. NVIDIA already has released the 1080 Ti, although not the upgraded 1060 variant, which was smart on their end, now they can expose one of the cards with a solid 1060 release, or a 1070 for that matter, the middle of the pack GPU seldom discussed, just as the top & cream of the crop Titan. The 1070 can easily be made more powerful in the labs of NVIDIA, there's room on the board for lots of possibilities. 

Or NVIDIA can simply play cat & mouse by lowering price on current cards, while secretly developing 11xx series GPU's, in fact, the 10 series release was very tight lipped (their employees must be very loyal), as many were purchasing the 970's & 980's at holiday season 2015 at high pricing, come just 2-3 months later, out comes news of a GTX 1060 that for almost a third of the price of the 980, would stand toe to toe with, and as for the 970, smack it around like mad for half the price, and best of all, smaller & uses less energy. :lol:

The only card of the GTX 9xx series the 1060 couldn't stand up to was the then current Titan, yet that was indeed a tall order for a $300 GPU. One thing for sure, NVIDIA & their partners were smart, they didn't discount the 970/980 at all during that last holiday season, if anything, increased pricing a bit. That was the stunner when the 10 series was announced in early 2016, many stuck with virtually new cards that were weak & no longer contenders, many had to cut their losses to get a GTX 1080/1070 & for those who couldn't, still the 1060 was a slap in the face when released. While the 1060 certainly didn't blow away the 980, the 1070 surely did in every aspect. 

So it'll boil down to yet another remake of the GTX 10 series, or let AMD's high pricing shove them out of the market by slashing pricing while working on the 11 series, probably to be released sometime in 2018. :)

I was about to purchase yet another GTX 1060, or 1070 if pricing was right, may be best to wait & see just what the 11 series will be offering, after all, just a year away, can live with the GTX 960 on the one PC for one more year, or move one of the GTX 1060's to that one & run Intel HD 4400 graphics until NVIDIA makes their next product lineup. While the 1060 Ti will likely have 8GB of GDDR5 VRAM, the 1160 will have even more, if history repeats itself (the majority of the 960's had 2GB, a few having 4GB useful only with a few apps, the 1060 originally shipped as a 6GB card, and the 3GB was later offered), the 1160/1170/1180 will be much more powerful than the yet to be released AMD GPU's. 

BTW, just dawned on me, after rereading my post before clicking 'Post', reminds me of many AMD articles, while the initial content was AMD, everything shifts to NVIDIA fast (Intel if CPU's), this is all of AMD's doings, they briefly get ahead, then gets knocked right back down for a couple of years. Note that Intel has lowered the price on the Intel i7-7700K, their flagship quad core CPU due to the Ryzen release, the same will likely follow suit with NVIDIA to keep consumers from purchasing AMD. The cycle continues on........... 

Thing of it is for sure, what we don't know for now if these new AMD GPU's will be bang or bust GPU's, time will tell, and won't take long. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users