I need some basic help on what is quite a simple task I'm sure.
- using Outlook 2010 in Windows 7 on admin computer
- using IMAP (useful as we check our emails remotely via webmail occassionally)
- connected to our admin email account that came with our website hosting provider
- have the following data files in Outlook:
- "admin@" pst
- "Outlook Data File" pst (I don't know why this is here but I cannot delete it as it's default. I do not want this. Oddly, the folder holds some minor and random emails. I don't know how they get there but it is annoying to have to check this AND the admin email set of folders. There are only a few on there though)
- "archive" pst (archives every 7 days moving admin emails to computer).
We are now changing to a dedicated email service with the hosting provider. It has all been set up on the server - ie. our emails and folders have all been synced over to the new dedicated server thanks to our provider. However the new SMTP setting etc did not work on the current profile - Outlook just hanged and testing server. So it was recommended to start a new profile and remove the old one. Then they will change the MX records over so we can use it.
What I want:
- new profile to be exactly the same as the current one (obviously on the dedicated email account).
- new profile to have same contacts and in their same folders if possible (I've heard the folders can't be carried over and instead you just get a long list of your contacts - not a huge drama but good if this can be done).
- archive folder to still appear and work effectively
What are the steps to achieve this when starting a new profile? With IMAP, is it just a case of:
- backup contacts (not sure best way how)
- start a new profile, input new dedicated settings (I can do this)
- let Outlook download and sync inbox, sent, and all other folders (is this possible?) - I don't mind waiting on this. We don't have a lot of emails to download. But I realise there are other ways. Which ever is easiest.
- import contact list
- add in archive pst folder
Edit: Just a thought, should I add a new profile from within Outlook itself (make it default then remove the others) or from the applet??
Edited by 121, 17 May 2017 - 02:27 AM.