Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help setting up new Outlook Profile - Quick advice needed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 121

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:55 PM

Hi

I need some basic help on what is quite a simple task I'm sure.

Current situation:

• using Outlook 2010 in Windows 7 on admin computer
  • using IMAP (useful as we check our emails remotely via webmail occassionally)
  • connected to our admin email account that came with our website hosting provider
  • have the following data files in Outlook:
  1. "admin@" pst
  2.  "Outlook Data File" pst (I don't know why this is here but I cannot delete it as it's default. I do not want this. Oddly, the folder holds some minor and random emails. I don't know how they get there but it is annoying to have to check this AND the admin email set of folders. There are only a few on there though)
  3. "archive" pst (archives every 7 days moving admin emails to computer).

We are now changing to a dedicated email service with the hosting provider. It has all been set up on the server - ie. our emails and folders have all been synced over to the new dedicated server thanks to our provider. However the new SMTP setting etc did not work on the current profile - Outlook just hanged and testing server. So it was recommended to start a new profile and remove the old one. Then they will change the MX records over so we can use it. 

What I want:

• new profile to be exactly the same as the current one (obviously on the dedicated email account). 
  • new profile to have same contacts and in their same folders if possible (I've heard the folders can't be carried over and instead you just get a long list of your contacts - not a huge drama but good if this can be done).
  • archive folder to still appear and work effectively

Question:

What are the steps to achieve this when starting a new profile? With IMAP, is it just a case of:

1. backup contacts (not sure best way how)
  2. start a new profile, input new dedicated settings (I can do this)
  3. let Outlook download and sync inbox, sent, and all other folders (is this possible?) - I don't mind waiting on this. We don't have a lot of emails to download. But I realise there are other ways. Which ever is easiest. 
  4. import contact list
  5. add in archive pst folder

Edit: Just a thought, should I add a new profile from within Outlook itself (make it default then remove the others) or from the applet??

CHEERS

Edited by 121, 17 May 2017 - 02:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:51 PM

• "admin@" pst
  •  "Outlook Data File" pst (I don't know why this is here but I cannot delete it as it's default. I do not want this. Oddly, the folder holds some minor and random emails. I don't know how they get there but it is annoying to have to check this AND the admin email set of folders. There are only a few on there though)
  • "archive" pst (archives every 7 days moving admin emails to computer).

I am sorry that I cannot help with your main question...I have not actively used Outlook in quite a while, so I am not too proficient with it any more. And since I am not currently using it, I cannot "play with it" to test stuff.

I can, however, clear up one thing for you.

The "Outlook Data File" pst is the default PST file for all local storage of things for Outlook. This includes any local only folders that you may (or may not) create for emails as well as any POP email accounts you may or may not have. It is required for any local storage that is not then associated with an IMAP or other type account that is not local only.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users