Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help upgrading/building a video editing pc

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BIMMEROV

BIMMEROV

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:09 PM

Hello everyone! First off I would like to say that I have basic computer knowledge in terms of building and upgrading a PC, so I apologize in advance if sound stupid. I did some research but couldnt find clear answers and thats why Im here.

I am getting into the world of video editing and found out that having a powerful machine is essential to run video editing programs such as Adobe Premiere pro or Sony Vegas.

My PC is a pre-built, I dont know how old however it has hard time running adobe premiere pro especially when previewing the edited video. The preview of the video is very laggy and makes it hard to work with.

My question is, can I upgrade my existing computer to be able to run adobe premiere pro on high settings? Or should I start from scratch and build a new one?

If you guys can include the parts and all the info with your answer that would be highly appreciated. 

Thank you in advance!

My current setup...

Untitled_zpsq8agrnpv.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:35 AM

I think the only real upgrade path you have without basically starting again is to the storage and RAM. The CPU is the fastest that the motherboard will accept, and while fine for a lot of uses, it might be a bit sluggish for workstation tasks. You could increase the RAM to the recommended 16 Gb, but whether that will be enough of a performance improvement for you is the question. I don't think it'll make that much difference unless it's really running low on memory. Certain features in Adobe Premiere can be GPU accelerated. Your current GPU supports Open CL acceleration, so it should be compatible with Premiere's GPU acceleration.

If I was building a video editing machine now, the best bang for the buck is likely to be a Ryzen based PC. Video editing and encoding generally scales well with more cores.  You can put together a Ryzen 7 (8 core/16 thread) system for similar money to an i7-7700K based system, but the Ryzen should outperform on video creation.  A 6 core Ryzen 5 should also offer more performance in this application than a price equivalent i5. Specific recommendations would depend on budget available etc.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 BIMMEROV

BIMMEROV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:01 PM

I think the only real upgrade path you have without basically starting again is to the storage and RAM. The CPU is the fastest that the motherboard will accept, and while fine for a lot of uses, it might be a bit sluggish for workstation tasks. You could increase the RAM to the recommended 16 Gb, but whether that will be enough of a performance improvement for you is the question. I don't think it'll make that much difference unless it's really running low on memory. Certain features in Adobe Premiere can be GPU accelerated. Your current GPU supports Open CL acceleration, so it should be compatible with Premiere's GPU acceleration.

If I was building a video editing machine now, the best bang for the buck is likely to be a Ryzen based PC. Video editing and encoding generally scales well with more cores.  You can put together a Ryzen 7 (8 core/16 thread) system for similar money to an i7-7700K based system, but the Ryzen should outperform on video creation.  A 6 core Ryzen 5 should also offer more performance in this application than a price equivalent i5. Specific recommendations would depend on budget available etc.

Thank you for the reply. The GPU acceleration option in Adobe Premiere is non choosable for some reason. Thinking about spending around 1K for a build but dont know what exactly to buy I wish a had a parts list to go off of.  

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,141 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:30 AM

OK, here is the recommended spec list for Adobe Premiere CC 2017 -  https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html I am not a user of this software, but I find it bizarre that most current GPU's don't appear to be supported.  These are all a few generations old. An older version, CC 2014 did apparently support the HD7870, but it's not listed for CC 2017. While reading around, I found that on CS6, adding GPU support may be achieved in some cases by simply editing a text file to add the name of your GPU to it...  I'm not sure if this works on CC.  You perhaps need to clarify with Adobe themselves or a Premiere user group on what the situation is.

Anyway, as a starting point, I think something like this is reasonable for a fast machine that could do what you wanted. I'm not an expert on what you'd need in a high level video editing machine, but I should think this would give good performance for anything you could throw at it.  You'd need an operating system as well, unless you can transfer your old one (non-OEM licenses only).

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($307.49 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($97.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX8000 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($118.65 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Toshiba - 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($77.33 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon R9 280X 3GB Tri-X Toxic Video Card  ($199.00 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair - 270R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($42.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1013.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-18 11:26 EDT-0400

Ryzen 7 1700 - Best price performance ratio for this type of work, IMO
16 Gb RAM - Enough, and this particular module is designed to work with Ryzen CPU's (they are known to be fussy about memory)
Motherboard - It's no frills but quite well featured, by a reputable manufacturer. Supports USB 3.1 for adding a high end external disk enclosure if required.
Storage - Fast PCIe SSD for snappy performance. Generous 3 Tb disk for storing large video projects.
GPU - simply, it's one of the few that are listed as compatible with Premiere that are available to buy. You may save money by re-using your HD7870 if it can do what you need.  Otherwise you may get better performance in a more modern design (e.g. GTX 1060, RX-580) if they support Premiere.
PSU - more than enough power for the job. Pretty good quality and warranty. 
Case - Personal choice. Corsair are pretty good though.

Edited by jonuk76, 18 May 2017 - 10:30 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 BIMMEROV

BIMMEROV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:21 PM

Thank you kindly for your help sir. The list looks awesome that is going to be extremely helpful for me. I will give an update if I do go this route. Thank you again. 

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,141 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:10 PM

No problem, you're welcome.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:20 PM

Well if you want to start simple we can work with what you have, can you give us a model of your computer?

Perhaps its possible to cannibalize what you have already, knowing the parts is fine but if you can show us like your case and internals that will be nice.

Some pre builts do have some hidden gems in them, i have seen people make old dells into high powered gaming rigs.

Edited by MadmanRB, 20 May 2017 - 09:23 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users