Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! Deleted certain reg folders that I thought were useless. Turns out...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 niguardo

niguardo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:25 PM

For some reason, I'd never thought of creating an account for these kinds of PC forums... But I just created this account because whenever I had a problem, I'd usually find a good solution in this forum. So uhh... Hello, BleepingComputer!

Anyways. I had installed the Creators Update for Windows 10 and I had some bloatware I wanted to delete. I successfully did so but while trying to clean up my registry, I deleted a crucial folder (or a couple of crucial folders) which caused the start menu and all of my Windows apps that I had not deleted to stop working (including the Settings and Cortana). I also cannot right click on my pinned taskbar applications. 

My original idea was to find a way to get the Settings to work. All I had to do from there was roll-back the Creators Update since its only been a day since I'd updated. But I couldn't get that to work since I'm pretty sure I deleted one of the source reg files by accident (No backup, btw. Also tried looking for the hidden registry backup with command prompt but no luck there either.). Now I could go ahead and reset my PC but I'd rather not because I have quite a lot of programs downloaded. 

Now how would I restore the registry without backup? Well I actually know exactly which folders I deleted in the registry. So if someone who has not deleted the built-in Windows 10 apps could maybe export these registry folders and upload them here, I'd be forever grateful to him/her. And if that doesn't work... Well, I guess I'll just have to bare my teeth and go for the reset. :(

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Holographic

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Speech_OneCore\Settings\Holographic

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PerceptionSimulationExtensions

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:12 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Unfortunately you broke the number one rule when making changes in the registry, BACK UP the Registry first.

I don't know that putting someone else's registry keys would work for you, but it would be something to try.

#3 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:29 PM

you can run the Windows Registry Checker, To do that you can burn/create a Windows 10 disk (must be the same version) and boot into the recovery environment

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/183887/description-of-the-windows-registry-checker-tool-scanreg.exe?PHPSESSID=9966a09e9e83b3d67612ae28989c5e37%3FPHPSESSID%3D9966a09e9e83b3d67612ae28989c5e37

Boot into your recovery environment

https://www.howtogeek.com/126016/three-ways-to-access-the-windows-8-boot-options-menu/

Edited by Joe C, 17 May 2017 - 03:01 PM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:09 PM

Also, and I may be wrong on this, wouldn't System Restore be an option?   I thought that brought back the system registry to the state it was in when a restore point was made, but I may be wrong on this.

I'd love to know the answer so that I can be correct for certain going forward.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 niguardo

niguardo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:40 PM

Thank you, everyone! Yes, I broke the old registry rule... :/ Who would've thought "Holographic" and "Perception Simulations" folders would be essential in running Windows 10 correctly? I guess you could never be too safe, right? >_>

I've tried registry checks from the recovery environment but they haven't worked. Maybe it's because my recovery drive is a slight bit old (created it a couple of months back). I'd try to go ahead and re-create the boot drive but I believe the System Restore would be more convenient.

I'd usually get to the System Restore option through the control panel in Windows 7 but I couldn't find it in Windows 10. With there being both the control panel and Windows 10 Settings app, I'd thought the same feature was just added to the Windows 10 Settings app and removed from the control panel. With no access to the Settings app I was running out of hope. BUT. Apparently in Windows 10, you can find the System Restore option in System Properties, as well! 

Thank you all for your suggestions! I'll make sure to back up my registry at all times... Even if a file is called "eatyourbreakfast" or something stupid..! Thank you, once again and I'll be off to System Restore my computer! :)

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:33 AM

niguardo,

In the end, the best thing is simply not to delete items from your registry at all.

I've done plenty of registry edits over the years where I had to add a key or tweak a value, but I don't delete keys for precisely the reason you've just experienced.  It's also why I long ago stopped using registry cleaning programs, as cleaning the registry, while it never broke anything for me, also never seemed to make an iota of difference in how the machine behaved afterward.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:49 AM

I haven't encountered your issue yet but maybe these ideas might get you into system restore as each one of them will have that option

Create a System repair disc on another computer

Create a USB Recovery Drive on another Win10 computer using the same version & bittedness and uncheck backup system files since you are not doing so on your own computer

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4200-recovery-drive-create-windows-10-a.html

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:20 AM

Don't forget that Windows keeps backups of the registry hives every 12 hours (keeping the immediately previous copy with a .OLD extension) in a folder called %SystemRoot%\System32\Config\RegBack. This can be useful in cases like these — a tutorial can be found here. Only problem is that it won't be able to repair the damage to the HKCU branch, but that could theoretically be fixed by creating a new user profile.

At the end of the day, however, System Restore is still the cleanest and most effective option.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:31 PM

I haven't encountered your issue yet but maybe these ideas might get you into system restore as each one of them will have that option

Create a System repair disc on another computer

Create a USB Recovery Drive on another Win10 computer using the same version & bittedness and uncheck backup system files since you are not doing so on your own computer

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4200-recovery-drive-create-windows-10-a.html

Any luck?

Maybe you have already solved your issue?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users