Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Buying a New 2-in-1 Laptop

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Maitai11

Maitai11

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:14 PM

Hi Everyone,

Grad student here, needing to buy a new laptop - I actually just returned an HP Pavilion X360 (I think that's what it was...from Sam's Club) because the screen cracked within 6 weeks.  The center lift tab, I believe, was the source of the problem because someone mentioned that particular model had problems with the screens - and the crack originated exactly where the center screen lift tab was located.  I also like to do a little gaming.  Here are the minimum requirements for Syberia 3, the game I want to be able to play:

Minimum:
  • Processor: Intel Core i3.
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM.
  • Graphics: AMD R7 260X - Nvidia GTX 550 Ti 2GB.
  • DirectX: Version 11.
  • Storage: 45 GB available space.
  • Sound Card: Any.
  • Additional Notes: A Controller is STRONGLY recommended to play this game.

Additionally, I would like the following:

• Minimum 15.6" screen
  • Backlit keyboard
  • 10-key calculator pad on the right of the keyboard
  • 2-in-1 Laptop to tablet capable
  • Touchscreen
  • Windows 10 OS

So, I'm hoping the guru's here can help me put this all together, as it has been maddening for me to find something that would fit the bill.  Finally, I want to thank you very much to the contributors here on Bleeping Computer.  You are worth your weight in gold, and bail people like me out all the time!   Many, many thanks!

Maitai

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Maitai11

Maitai11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:58 PM

Sorry, I left out that my budget would be up to $1500, and I mostly surf or write, but I do like to play games.  However, most of those games are online and don't require heavy-hitting hardware.  BUT,  I DO want to play Syberia III, which I posted the system requirements for above.  I like to run MS Office and Adobe Pro, but not much else.   

I hope this helps, and please feel free to ask if I left something else out.  Oh, and I've only used about 150 GB of my 700 GB drive in four years.  I have a few pics and mp3's but not many, as you might be able to surmise. 

Many thanks,

Maitai

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:18 AM

I bought my laptop, the one I'm using now, at https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/category/gaming-laptops/ I've had it for about 4 years, no problems. You can look those over, for your budget you might find one that fits your needs. I've been thinking about getting a new one, but I'm not sure why... :blink:

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

I'm different!

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:14 PM

Gaming laptop?

Heard good things about these puppies:

https://www.amazon.com/GL553VD-Gaming-i7-7700HQ-7200RPM-Keyboard/dp/B01NCOS5ZG/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Also:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7567-laptop?dgc=BA&dgc=BA&CID=235888&LID=27867&DGC=BA&DGSeg=DHS&ACD=123092358882786719c101678832&VEN3=810103777566074248

If non touchscreen will do that is.

I know if I had the money I would so buy that dell, for a gaming laptop its actually very reasonably priced and has some kick ass capability at gaming

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#5 Maitai11

Maitai11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:14 PM

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for your responses - but I'm not really looking for a "gaming" computer per se - just one that would exceed the requirements of the one I cut and pasted above.  That's a legacy game, but most times I play very simple online escape games.  I don't really care for the "extreme" look of the gaming-type computers, but would be more suited to something a little more toned down than a full-throttle gaming computer.  I'm sorry I wasn't clearer initially, but does this help?

Regards,

Maitai 

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,241 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:45 PM

OK, is this more of what you're looking for? https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-Convertible-GeForce-R5-571TG-7229/dp/B06WD61CF5/ref=lp_13896609011_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1495478531&sr=1-5

It's about 1/2 your price and I think it will do all you want.

The only backlit keyboards I've seen were on gaming laptops. Doesn't mean they aren't out there, just I haven't seen them..

Edited by Wildabeast, 22 May 2017 - 01:47 PM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#7 Maitai11

Maitai11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:08 PM

Wow, thank you Lurker,

I think this is it.  It has a big enough of a hard drive, and the processor is better than what I have now. 

I just want to make sure GeForce 940MX is a better performer than AMD R7 260X  or Nvidia GTX 550 Ti 2GB.  It can get so confusing.  If the laptop you sent me has a graphics card better than that, I'll buy it.  Incidentally, I'm typing on an Acer Aspire V5 as we speak - a close cousin, it seems.  Can you confirm about the graphics card please? 

Oh, and regarding backlit keyboards, the last three (two of which have been returned) I had were all backlit.  One was an X360. 

Thanks so much for your time.

Regards,

Maitai

#8 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,241 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:19 PM

Sorry, couldn't find anything on the AMD, but the GTX 550 is a better card. Didn't find much on the 940 either. I'm not a big brain when it comes to video cards, some guys on here are, maybe they'll see this and help..

Ronald Reagan

#9 Maitai11

Maitai11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:29 AM

Thanks so much - I found a comparison website that puts them right at even.  I've got an email into developers, and hopefully then we'll get to the bottom of this.  Thanks again!

Maitai

#10 Maitai11

Maitai11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:12 PM

Wildabeast, Madman, and Lurker,

I wanted to thank all of you for taking the time to answer my questions, as detailed and persnickety as they were!  After taking a look at all the options you gave me, and consulting with the game devs, I got the high-sign today and actually purchased the Acer Aspire.  I'm so excited, because, barring a few sour people, the reviews are really great.  Thank you all, and especially Lurker who looked for an even MORE specific version of what I was looking for.  Since I wasn't clear, you two other guys really came through as well, so thank you, one and all. 

Kind regards,

Maitai

#11 Maitai11

Maitai11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:34 PM

Wildabeast,

Well, I'm typing this to you on my Acer Aspire right now!  I am over the moon about all the features - and performance.  I have been able to play the game I alluded to (Syberia III,) and everything else is going swimmingly well! 

Thank you very, very much for finding this little gem for me.  You're kind of a gem yourself!

All the best,

Maitai :)

#12 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,241 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 12:45 AM

You're welcome! Glad you found something that you like.  (I should own Amazon, with all the money I spend there...) :grinner: 

Ronald Reagan

#13 Maitai11

Maitai11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 11:20 AM

Brother, you're not kidding; eBay, too!  :flamethrower:  :flamethrower:  :flamethrower:

:thumbup2:  :thumbup2: :thumbup2:  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users