Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfer ringtones from iPhone to PC

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 iridium137

iridium137

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:59 PM

How do I transfer ringtones from my iPhone to my PC? My iPhone is synced with a computer that is no longer usable. If I sync using iTunes, it will delete the ringtones that I imported from that other PC.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:29 AM

What do you mean by "a computer that is no longer usable"? Is it dead, but the drive might still work? If so, then you could pull the drive from the old computer and copy the ring tones from the old computer to the new computer and import them into the iTunes library on the new computer.

Are the ring tones purchased through the iTunes Store or ones you made yourself or got through other sources? If they are from the iTunes Store, then the "Transfer Purchases" function in iTunes might work. I honestly don't know if it works with ring tones or not. If you made them or got them from other sources, then the "Transfer Purchases" option will definitely not work. At that point, if you cannot copy them from the old computer's hard drive, then your only option might be a piece of third party software. But, I don't use any such programs and thus cannot recommend anything, but I am sure someone will be along to recommend one (whether you trust any such recommendation is up to you...in my experience there are a lot of people who push those types of programs and at least some of those programs appear questionable to me.

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:54 AM

If you made them or got them from other sources, then the "Transfer Purchases" option will definitely not work.

Can't you then send them via PC to a friend of yours' PC and have him upload the songs to his Android smartphone, and then to send them to your iPhone via Bluetooth? Is that too impossible?
Also, if we extend the inquiry beyond music, I like to use my phone as a storage device (for school presentations, example). Does that mean that an iPhone cannot be used as a storage device, to which you can just transfer files from a computer via USB, whereas Android smartphones are able to do that?
I basically do the following: I make a presentation on a computer outside of school; then, I place it on my phone either via USB or Blueetooth; then, I use my phone as a flash drive and bring it to school where I connect it to the classroom's computer and play the presentation on it. Is such a thing possible only on Android phones? In contrast, do yo always have to filter everything on an iPhone through the iTunes store?:)

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:36 PM

If you made them or got them from other sources, then the "Transfer Purchases" option will definitely not work.

Can't you then send them via PC to a friend of yours' PC and have him upload the songs to his Android smartphone, and then to send them to your iPhone via Bluetooth? Is that too impossible?

It is not possible to do with ring tones on an iPhone, at least to my knowledge. Ring tones used by the iPhone are effectively "captive" to syncing by way of iTunes or I believe some third party programs will do it. They are not accessible from on the iPhone other than to select which tone you want to use. And you have to sync them to get them to the phone to use as well.

That is not true of many other files, including music and video files (you do have to sync or download directly on an iOS device movies and TV shows bought through the iTunes Store as they have copy protection, but music files from iTunes Store can either be synced or downloaded directly...or can be gotten on the iOS device by other means and played using something other than the Apple Music app as they are not copy protected).

Also, if we extend the inquiry beyond music, I like to use my phone as a storage device (for school presentations, example). Does that mean that an iPhone cannot be used as a storage device, to which you can just transfer files from a computer via USB, whereas Android smartphones are able to do that?
I basically do the following: I make a presentation on a computer outside of school; then, I place it on my phone either via USB or Blueetooth; then, I use my phone as a flash drive and bring it to school where I connect it to the classroom's computer and play the presentation on it. Is such a thing possible only on Android phones? In contrast, do yo always have to filter everything on an iPhone through the iTunes store? :)

You really should post this inquiry to your own topic so that you don't clutter up someone else's topic since your inquiry is not really related to the original poster's topic.

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:51 PM

I see. Thank you for your help!:)

#6 iridium137

iridium137
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:52 PM

They're ringtones that I made myself. And yeah, the other computer is completely dead, including the hard drive. I ended up using some third party software to extract the ringtones. Now I know to backup my ringtones.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:07 PM

They're ringtones that I made myself. And yeah, the other computer is completely dead, including the hard drive. I ended up using some third party software to extract the ringtones.

Glad you were able to get them back.

Now I know to backup my ringtones.

Personally, I would tend to suggest you backup more than just your ring tones, but that is just me. :grinner: I have my entire iTunes library on an external drive that I regularly backup (and I backup my computer in general).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users