Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hard Drive - Loading Win 7 Stuck on Windows Start Screen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 VaperKitten

VaperKitten

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:29 PM

Got a new hard drive, thought I would simply install Windows 7 and all would be well with the world but didn't go that way.  I put in the new hard drive and put the disk in and it begins ok goes to the Loading files screen, load's files, then goes to "Starting Windows" and that is it, stays there for hours upon hours.  No windows logo just says "Starting Windows" at the bottom of the page.  I have been doing research, tried to reset my bios to default settings.  The computer is like from 2006 and was crashing sometimes and startup was taking a long time so I got a new hard drive and now cannot load the windows....any advice?  Please Help?  Frustration is setting in, the computer was working great before this.

Mother Board:  Aces P5B

Hard Drive:Western Digital WD3200AAKS 320GB 16MB Cache 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

Graphics Card:  GTX 550TI

I know I need to get a new computer but I cannot afford it right now, so please, look past your desire to laugh at me and please help me.   Love to all...Kim

Edited by VaperKitten, 16 May 2017 - 07:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:51 PM

The MB I believe is an ASUS P5B and has a standard legacy BIOS. You said the hard drive was a GTX 550TI. This is a Nvidia Graphics card, not a hard drive. 

Boot the install disk and at the language screen press Shift + F10 which will open a command prompt. Type the following commands

diskpart     Opens a diskpart command prompt

list disk      Shows disks attached to the computer

select disk X      Where X is the number associated with the disk you will be installing Windows 7 to. This is normally 0

clean                  Deletes all partitions and sets the drive for a clean install

exit                     exits diskpart

exit                     exits command prompt

Continue the installation. See this guide on a clean install. You will not need to delete any partition as shown in the guide as these have been deleted using the clean command.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-7-2624917

It's possible your problems were not due to a hard drive but some other hardware problem possibly the motherboard itself.

#3 VaperKitten

VaperKitten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:13 PM

Thanks so much for your reply, Sorry I messed up thats right its the Graphics Card....my computer is not even getting as far as the language screen.  I put in the disk, push any key to start, it goes to " Loading Windows Files" with a bar at the bottom..then it procedes to a " Starting Windows " screen but without the windows icon and that is where it stays.  Never gets as far as selecting anything.

Hard Drive: Western Digital WD3200AAKS 320GB 16MB Cache 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:24 PM

I am assuming you have the key for the Windows 7 install, correct? The problem may be bad install media. On another computer download this tool.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_windows_iso_download_tool.html

This tool will allow you to download an iso of your version. Your AV may flag it but it's a false positive. Burn the iso to a DVD on a Windows 7 or later computer by right clicking the file and selecting Burn Disk Image. This iso file is about 3.5GB. 

#5 VaperKitten

VaperKitten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:30 PM

Thank you so much, I will try

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users