Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

It's starting!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:36 PM

84bcb65e8e67ebf92c38744ebaf99fba_-its-ju
Today I officially felt old for the first time in my life.
I was walking down the road in my old town when I accidentally bumped into my first best friend ever, who I hadn't seen in years. She and I are both 21 years old, soon to become 22. I was glad that she was doing alright and seemed happy. We chatted for awhile. That's when she hit me with the news. She is getting married at the end of this summer. I congratulated her and was glad that she has found love. Inside my mind, however, I was thinking: "What!? That is unbelieveable!". We concluded our conversation and parted ways as we wished eachother all the best.

This is the first time in my life that I find out that somebody from my generation & childhood who I know personally is getting into marriage. I mean, we were in high school not so long ago - 3 years. Right now I am especially excited from this event and can't stop thinking about how I still haven't even gone to college and I have friends who are getting into marriage simultaneously. This is real adult stuff... I guess, now I understand all these jokes, I've read around, about the guy who dates after 30 years old and every potential partner of his is either married or has children.:lmao:
Boy, this really set me off for some reason.

Anyways, just decided to share this with you fine people, maybe have a laugh or two about my new-found adulthood.:lmao:
Cheers!:)
giphy.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:37 AM

I was thinking: "What!? That is unbelieveable!".

Boy, this really set me off for some reason.

Welcome to adulthood.

As we get older people we grew up around create lives of their own.

Go to college and get an education and a good job and think about creating a life of your own and perhaps start a family.

However corny it may sound it's not a bad thing. :wink:

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:57 AM

THAT"S LIFE!!  Been there, done that.  Don't fall into the trap of doing something just because everybody else does.  Choose your own path.  More schooling maybe the answer, broaden your horizons and find a skill you're good at and enjoy so you can build those skills and become a valuable member of your community.  Working at a job you enjoy will make for even more gains in the rest of your life.   Good Luck.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:24 PM

JOQ:  Oh, darlin', you ain't seen nothin' yet!!

I'm not discounting this realization, but am speaking the truth.   What's funny is, to this very day, my 25th birthday (now 30 years in the rearview mirror of time) was the worst one I ever had.   That was the day I was convinced that because my life trajectory wasn't what I had wanted/predicted and also wasn't what others seemed to want that I was on the start of a very long, downhill ride.

Well, a lot of that perspective was the direct result of caring far too much about what others wanted and from placing not only unrealistic expectations, but ones not truly congruent with my own wants, on to myself and failing to meet them.

When I was in undergraduate school between the ages of 18 and 22 my closest friends were a group of much older (remember, this is relative to my age then) students in their mid-30s through late 30s.   One had married a man about 15 years her senior and I will never forget her stating his observation about his own life, "I only just started feeling really comfortable in my own skin after I turned 50."   I've lived a very similar experience, but perhaps started that slide into real and complete comfort in my own skin in my 40s.

mjd420nova has given you some very good advice.   One of the worst things I ever did was to try to please everyone but myself, and not with trivial aspects of my life.  One should never set out to intentionally hurt those one holds dear, but one should also not subjugate one's own central desires that come from a place of either knowing oneself or at least having a strong desire to try something in the pursuit of knowing oneself better in order to make someone else happy.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users