Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WINDOWS 7 AND WINDOWS 10 CAN NOT READ DVD-R DATA DISKS DVDS

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 rittenhouse

rittenhouse

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:54 PM

​YES, IT MUST BE A WORLDWIDE PROBLEM. MAYBE STARTED BY roxio easy creator, BUT i STILL HAVE HUNDREDS OF DVD-D DATA DISKS THAT CONTAIN INFORMATION AND IMAGES THAT i CAN NOT READ. tHE SYSTEM SHOW TH FULL BLUE ICON, OR IT ASKS TO INSERT A DISK EVEN WHEN THERE IS ONE INSIDE THE DRIVE. I USED Gateway computers but now have a brand new HP and still they can not be read. The cds are still good, they contain photos and video clips , but the dvds are not workn.. any solutions as to how to reconfigure my drive to read them? I want to try some stepS with the advice of others and will send screenshots to demonstrate as to what would be the next step..

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 20 May 2017 - 06:29 PM.
Two topics on same subject merged.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:10 PM

What...is a "data disk"...in your opinion? 

What software was used to place/save data on these disks?

If you cannot read these disks...how can you assert that the discs are "good"?  Can they be read on a different computer?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 May 2017 - 05:12 PM.

#3 rittenhouse

rittenhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:20 AM

The type of dvd-r disks that I used to store various images and videos and audio recordings. I have used Sony , MAXwell, Staples; FOTIS brands .I am not sure what the issue is, but lately my old GATEWAY is not showing any files including those on cds, which they previously seemed not to have any problems with.The ones that I can access seemed to say CDFS and UDF on a few of them. They also do not work on my new HP computer. I am sure that the files could be accessed before I deleted the originals from my computer years ago, but soon after they just started to develop problems. Most of the physical dvds are in perfect condition as they were never even touched after I originally burnt them using Roxio Easy Creator 6 (yeah; they're that old )and maybe Freeburn software.I am wondering if there are some settings that I could adjust to gain access to them? I was one of those teens who clicked on any button and altered any setting just to see what effect it could have.Now 10 years later; some of the disks are peeling and turning black on the bottoms.As I said, it seems to be quite common and yet no one seems to be able to do anything about it. perhaps too many different compression methods were used by different video or audio files stored on the disk. I remember something about the need to install a stand alone UDF reader to read dvd disks, if the UDF reader was  not automatically installed either on the disk from the factory or when burning the files to a new disk. I also believe that rewritable dvds are nothing but trouble.

Edited by rittenhouse, 17 May 2017 - 08:32 AM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,520 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:35 AM

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/do-burned-cds-and-dvds-have-a-shelf-life-327942/ 

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2561255/data-center/storage-expert-warns-of-short-life-span-for-burned-cds.html

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,216 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:37 AM

10 years later some of the disks are peeling and turning black on the bottoms.

This suggests the discs have deteriorated physically. Writable optical discs use a synthetic organic based dye, and there is a fungus that can invade the dye layer. What area of the world are you in?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,216 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:43 AM

I also believe that rewritable dvds are nothing but trouble.

I agree. Where I worked about 10 or so years ago had been using re-writable discs for transferring accounting data between work and home offices, but they proved too unreliable, causing several corruptions. I only used a handful myself over the years, but when I had a big cleanup, all the re-writables had become totally unreadable at ages 5 to 10 years.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:44 AM

Have you tried something like this for the disks that aren't obviously rotting away? UDF VOLUME READER 7.1.0.95

This download is for users that do not own a copy of Easy CD Creator or Easy Media Creator and just want to read discs that have been written in UDF.

The UDF Reader is already included as a part of your Roxio Easy CD Creator or Easy Media Creator installation, as such if you have any versions of these you do not need this file. This update enables some MultiRead CD-ROM drives to read UDF formatted CD-RW discs (such as those written with DirectCD or Drag-to-Disc) under Windows 98 and 98 SE, Windows ME, and Windows 2000/XP. Once installed, you do not need to take any special steps to activate the UDF Reader; it is constantly active in the background, waiting for you to mount a UDF disc. This is a free download for the convenience of users who do not own Roxio software however no support is provided for this tool.

Download

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 rittenhouse

rittenhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:23 AM

Don't get me started about DRAG TO DISK. I  had totally forgotten about that, but now recall that I may have used that feature and n o doubt mingled or blended more than one compression method and that may be the culprit. if all of the files are not originally burnt with the same compression method, then the disk will be unreadable. But As I said, I made sure that they could be read before   I Deleted the original  files, but a few weeks later everything just stop working. ROXIO   Support is completely useless, but I still have the original Roxio easy creator 6 system and maybe some files there might solve the problem. I still believe that some how GATEWAY computers are  not responding, and windows need to install a reader that can auto detect compression and make the files visible.

Edited by rittenhouse, 17 May 2017 - 09:34 AM.

#9 rittenhouse

rittenhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:11 PM

BEWARE OF ROXIO UDF READER::  I had wanted to avoid using any type of my old dvds on my new computer, but  I was getting desperate, i tried ome of them, then I installed the ROXIO UDF reader that i had had for years, now my three week old computer keeps giving me the "PLEASE INSERT DISK" routine even when there is a disk in the drive and the same dvds that were working earlier in the day, now don't even register! So that must be proof that its the Roxio uDf reader that is the culprit !
I had an old copy of the ROXIO UDF reader on  a disk, I  used it  on  my  three week old computer. Before the installation, i could see the files on  some of my older dvds, and could use the dvd player built into windows 10, but after the installation, i started to get the "PLEASE INSERT DISK " on every single dvd that was placed in the drive. There must be something about ROXIO udf reader that has cause that issue for years, but of course ROXIO denies it.

Edited by hamluis, 29 May 2017 - 02:56 PM.
Merged posts - Hamluis.

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:31 PM

Have you tried uninstalling the UDF reader ?

If you can't uninstall it through Control panel, Programs and features you could try using the Revo uninstaller, a free download from BC -

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/revo-uninstaller/

Chris Cosgrove

#11 rittenhouse

rittenhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 07:40 PM

SPENT the last week using several dvd recovery and dvd read programs such as  CD ROLLER .VSO INSPECTOR cd/dvd   Diagnostic evaluation. they are all just junk well in my opinion. Most of the disks swear that they are blank, but then I put them in my dvd player and there were files  recorded  in my panasonic dvd recorder ! Also window 7 doesn't show anything, but the software just mentioned shows full  in the properties icon but nothing shows up. I dont have the strength to do this all over again. Does anything really work !!

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:09 PM

What are you trying to do exactly?

#13 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:43 PM

Sounds like a bumb-CD/DVD drive. Got one to swap out to check this?

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,216 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:57 PM

What are you trying to do exactly?

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/646855/windows-7-and-windows-10-can-not-read-dvd-r-data-disks-dvds/

Mod Edit:  Merged recent topic with original topic - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 29 May 2017 - 08:05 AM.

#15 rittenhouse

rittenhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:55 PM

Sounds like a bumb-CD/DVD drive. Got one to swap out to check this?

I used the original drive in a GATEWAY, and an external LG multi read drive and my new HP all in one.. with the same results.  I can see the files clearly and work with them and move them around in  windows 7, but when I look again, there is nothing there, and several dvd disk reader programs such as VSO report that "The disks looks empty. I have a stack of disks that I wrote "TR" on  TROUBLE. I check them again, and they appear fine as the data stored on them now functions. Later on, they disappear again. I wonder if I install my old copy of ROXIO EASY 6 onto this computer things will work out. But I Am afraid that without EASY READER on all  computers, there will be problems.. If I move the files to another hard drive, they might contain the original ROXIO configurations and will cause problems for others who I may send them too. I believe that once a file has an "attribute.. attributed to its properties, it stays forever. regardless of what programs may have been used to adjust it or to view it. how do you release an attribute to a file?. Also one dvd reader program  CD/DVD DIAGNOSTIC EVALUATION  tells me that me that the files were created by ROXIO DRAG to DIsk.. A serious culprit. Even when I select one of the preferences in CD ROller which reads "WINDOWS INSERT" disk, that changes the ability to read data. When I select it, it shows files, when I un select it it ejects the disk and says the drive was empty. I have about 300 more to examine.. so this is going to be a MEMORIAL weekend. One that has lasted for over 10 years !!  I want a super program that can automatically find files or  least list the table of contents.. When I select the TOC option on one of the programs, it just says nothing. THis file can not be read. Even dvds that were burnt on a Panasonic dvd/vhs recorder show empty, but when i place them in my dvd player, they show up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users