Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

display

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ronniv

ronniv

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:26 PM

Windows 10 updated yesterday.  As a result all fonts on title bars, menu bars, icons, etc are very, very small.  I went to control panel to display and there is no longer an option to change sizes on these items.  What happened?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:13 PM

System Font Size Changer for Windows 10

Posted Image

#3 ronniv

ronniv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:11 PM

I went there, tried to download it and Windows says it is an unsafe download.  What is your reaction?  Should I or shouldn't I?

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:46 PM

Its a safe program Windows flags the program unsafe maybe because program does not have valid signature.

Posted Image

#5 ronniv

ronniv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:30 PM

Thank you so much for your advice and assistance.  It worked GREAT!!

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:56 PM

You're very welcome!

Posted Image

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:11 PM

Freebooter,

Would it be possible to incorporate font into the settings that System Font Size Changer can tweak?  I used to tweak both font itself and size sometimes for each of the categories that you show in this utility and the old "Advanced Display Settings" directly supported this.

Please do not take the above as a demand.  It is truly just a query and feature request if such is reasonably directly achieved without tons of effort.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:04 AM

Hi britechguy

I don't think that can be done but you can change or customize them using Windows Registry.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Colors
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

Posted Image

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,316 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:01 AM

Freebooter,

Again, not a demand, just something for reference.  Take a look at Winaero Tweaker.  It somehow does it.

I love the simplicity of your utility but there are times when it really helps to be able to specify an alternate font as well as change the font size.  I work with visually impaired individuals and quite often serifed fonts are much easier to make out, and Windows doesn't use these for icon text, menus, etc., by default.  It would be great to be able to achieve this with a utility as straightforward as yours is.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#10 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:01 PM

britechguy you may want to also read here about the 'option 2' method Brink suggests.

https://www.tenforums.com/customization/81882-text-size-since-creators-update.html

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,316 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:20 PM

Opera,

Thanks.  Those are useful just for the identification of registry keys but they're still a registry edit method, which I'm fine with but many folks are not (and really should not be).

That's one of the reasons I love "focused purpose" utilities like the one by Freebooter.  It constrains what it's looking at very specifically and is virtually "idiot proof."   I love Winaero Tweaker but it's far too complex for many of my clients.

~ Brian Vogel

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:08 PM

Thanks @britechguy i forget Winaero Tweaker can be use to change fonts size but i think System Font Size Changer easier to use what do you think?

Posted Image

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,316 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:36 PM

Freebooter,

I've been saying all along that I think that your "purpose focused" utility is superior for those who have this single purpose and it's far easier for the neophyte to use.

What I've been asking for is that you also consider adding font itself, in addition to font size and just above the size slider, the actual font that you'd like to have used for the item selected via the radio button.

I haven't actually tried your utility, but the interface seems to me to be very highly intuitive:

1.  Select radio button for specific item on which you'd like the size changed.

2.  Use slider to increase/decrease size.

3.  Check bold box if you'd also like said font to be bolded.

4.  Hit apply to see it go into effect before continuing (or maybe after restart of File Explorer).

5.  Repeat process for any or all of the items represented by the remaining five radio buttons.

I think that if you could put font face just above the slider for font size it would be a major addition.

All of the above being said, if someone were to say to me I want to be able to change the size and the size alone on any or all of the items your utility covers that's the utility I'd recommend they use.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users