Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

partioned hard drive problems

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 bkwrm75

bkwrm75

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:29 PM

So basically I inherited my son's tower, which he had the hard drive configured into 3 partions, the c: was only like 52g and the majority of the storage was partioned to the d:, so I was trying to merge the since everything I was installing was going to c; which was almost out of room, and I was too lazy to figure out how to make them all go to d:. I was not paying close attention to what I was doing and I believe I made the d:/ active and then rebooted. Well now I have nothing.  I now need help to fix it. The system did NOT come with any windows disk and I cant seem to even get to the bios, Any Help would be greatly appreciated

Edited by hamluis, 22 May 2017 - 03:46 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Disk Mgmt - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:38 PM

Download Partition Wizard bootable here. Burn the iso to a CD on a Windows 7 or later computer by right clicking and selecting Burn Image. Boot the disk and change the active partition to C:

This guide is for V10 but the method to change to active is similar.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/set-active.html

If you Windows 7 and have a 100MB partition then this is the partition that is supposed to be made active. What OS is on the tower?

#3 bkwrm75

bkwrm75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:55 PM

nope i tried the disc and it didnt work, could it just be my display drivers? and if so where do i find generic display drives at and how to I even install when i cant see what i am doing?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:20 PM

I highly doubt it's a display driver after changing the active partition. What OS is on the disk? 

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 May 2017 - 03:20 PM.

#5 bkwrm75

bkwrm75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:22 PM

win 7

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:32 PM

Normally Windows 7 has a 100mb System Reserved Partition. This is the partition that is supposed to be marked active. Does the 100MB partition exist when booting Partition Wizard and if so is this the partition you marked active?

#7 bkwrm75

bkwrm75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:46 PM

the c drive which was the active drive before my meddling, which I then made the d drive active the c drive was only 52g and was running out of space

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:53 PM

After making the C: active can you access Safe Mode by tapping F8 at boot?

Is this a custom build or an OEM like HP and Dell? If an OEM does the computer have a sticker on the side with a legible key? 

#9 bkwrm75

bkwrm75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:05 PM

i cant see anything my monitor isnt working thats why i said display drivers, i put cd in and it does its thing but nothing comes up on the display, like its in sleep mode, but before all this monitor was fine

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:21 PM

What is the make and model of the computer? Do you see any splash screen before Windows boots? This is before any Windows display drivers are loaded. The Partition Wizard CD has it's own display drivers. Windows does not come into play during boot.

#11 bkwrm75

bkwrm75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:23 PM

absolutely nothing comes on the screen, the computer is a oem bundle from zt systems with a voc monitor

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:27 PM

Then you have a more serious issue than just a hard drive partition. Even if you remove the hard drive you should still see a boot splash screen on the monitor. Try the following. Pull the power. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power cord and boot. If you still do not get a boot screen make sure the monitor connection is tight. If you have another monitor swap it and see if you can see a splash screen. 

#13 bkwrm75

bkwrm75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:29 PM

copy that i will have to try tomorrow thanks for all your help

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:32 PM

No problem, good luck. 

#15 bkwrm75

bkwrm75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:29 PM

So we were both right, I did try another monitor with a different connector, mini hdmi (my monitor was vga), and it did work so i could use the program to set the proper partition as active. So after I was sure the system was back like before I reconnected my original monitor and it worked as if nothing happened, Thanks a ton, but not how do I either make the c drive bigger and the d smaller?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users