Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

InstallMe in Macbook Finder

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 arcadian

arcadian

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:16 PM

Just discovered something in my Macbook Pro finder called InstallMe, it was created a couple days ago but I didn't install it. Is it necessary, and if it's not, how do I get rid of it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:59 AM

What kind of item is it? An application? A DMG? A mounted virtual disk (i.e. a mounted DMG)? Have you rebooted the computer? If so, does it go away? Are you running any sort of anti-virus or anti-malware program on your Mac? Which version of the macOS are you running? Last, do you notice anything else strange happening on your computer?

First thing you might want to try is Malwarebytes' AntiMalware for Mac and run a scan (assuming you have not done so already), but it does require at least macOS 10.9 to be able to run. You can find it here:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

After that, you might want to consider is using an anti-virus program, but just running MBAM for Mac scans every once in a while might be enough.

If MBAM for Mac finds some thing, then it should remove it. If it does, then see if that InstallMe thing is gone.

If MBAM for Mac does not find anything, then you likely can just trash it yourself.

#3 arcadian

arcadian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:52 AM

MBAM came up clean and the file was gone after reboot. Thanks for suggestions.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:28 PM

MBAM came up clean and the file was gone after reboot. Thanks for suggestions.

Unless MBAM nuked the file, the fact that it was gone when you rebooted suggests that it might have been a mounted disk image. Any mounted disk images will "go away" when you reboot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users