Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

How to keep external programmer from accessing networks and other computers?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bmcv44

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:04 PM

Hey all! First post here so take it easy if I'm lacking basic knowledge!

So we are a small family run company and we use Microsoft access as our tracking system. Its all custom built and the guy who built it has fallen ill so we are finding a new programmer. Our original guy has been with us for so long there was never a trust issue. Basically the programmer will come into our computer via teamviewer and we want to limit him to just that computer all our computers are tied into the same network and homegroup. Let me know what you think

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:58 PM

Dual Routers

Didier Stevens posted on this forum, how to activate within your routers configuration to isolate each computer, if your router supports it - but I can't find it?

Use a front router for general purpose, feed a second router off one LAN port and have it be more specific. Each router on WiFi would have it's on channel, SSID, and preferably a bit of distance from each other. Both routers use their own DHCP range of IP addresses, no overlap.

Another method is a cheap 2 port router to split it between two better routers behind it, so each of the back routers are completely separated from each other.

Software Firewall
Isolating PC1 on the same local network is what software firewalls are good for! If you run software firewalls on each PC2, PC3, etc to block access to PC1

Isolating a computer its own subnet
Richard Carpenter. May 15, 2012 at 8:23 pm. http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/subnet-isolate-computers-parts-network-prevent-virus-transmission/

To add to my comment earlier... a subnet is a logical separation using the subnet mask to isolate or control the number of computers on a network. Basically a computer on the IP address with the mask of will not chat with a computer with a mask of This works because the subnet mask determines the broadcast ip address.

This is not the same as completely changing to a different IP Class (Ex. A - 0-127 B- 128-191 C-192-223), which is probably the better option.

Laga Mahesa, May 15, 2012 at 9:54 am

My lab's 20 workstations are on 10.0.0.x while the rest of the school is on 192.168.x.x.

The lab computers are all connected to a switch whose sole access to the internet is *MY* computer, which has two LAN cards.

IT has no say in what happens in my lab.

Edited by Crazy Cat, 16 May 2017 - 11:11 PM.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users