Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Not Showing Up On My Computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 johnpiggy

johnpiggy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:25 PM

I'm having some problems with my Transcend StoreJet external hard drive. I had it for a while now and it was working normally until now. At first, it seemed to be fine but when I clicked on it on My Computer it asked me to format the drive. I thought that was strange so I unplugged it and re-plugged it back in. But it now doesn't even show up on My Computer anymore. I checked on Device Manager and it's there. I tried re-installing the driver but that didn't help. Please help me. I have important files on the hard drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:34 PM

With the external drive attached open Disk Management. Is the External drive listed as RAW?

#3 johnpiggy

johnpiggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:46 PM

Thanks for replying me. The drive does not show up on Disk Management. I just tried plugging the drive into a different computer and it doesn't show up there either. When I plug it in, everything seems normal, The computer correctly identifies the drive and installs the driver. The hard drive makes sounds and lights up like normal. But it just doesn't show up on My Computer.

Edited by johnpiggy, 17 May 2017 - 12:15 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:06 AM

It's possible the USB bridge card is being detected but the drive itself is dead. You could try booting a live linux distro then attaching your external drive. If the drive is not detected using a live linux distro then I believe you would need to use a professional recovery service to pull any important data. This is not cheap.

#5 johnpiggy

johnpiggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:45 AM

I'm not that tech savvy. Can you explain how you would do a live linux distro? Thanks.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:35 PM

Download the UBCD iso file. Burn the iso to a CD/DVD on any Windows 7 or later computer by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image.

Boot the UBCD and at the main menu screen select Parted Magic. At the Parted Magic desktop attach the External drive and mount it using the guide linked below.

Your external drive would probably be labeled sdb if you only have one hard drive or sdc if you have two.

http://fixit.litten.com/linuxfilecopy.html

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

#7 johnpiggy

johnpiggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:12 PM

Thanks for the help. I followed the instructions and the drive was not detected. 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:23 PM

I think at this point I would either consult a professional recovery service or if the USB bridge card is not part of the drive's PCB remove the drive from the enclosure and attach the drive using either another enclosure or USB adapter. If you are not comfortable doing this have a shop do it for you but under no circumstances should to take the drive itself apart. That requires a clean room for data recovery.

I don't know if your transcend is like the one in the video but at 2.00 into the video you can see the uploader remove the USB bridge card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnG6KRl-IuA

#9 johnpiggy

johnpiggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:10 AM

I'm not sure i'm skilled enough to do something like this. I'll try and see what I can do but if I can't figure it out, maybe I'll take it to a shop. I'll update on what happens. Thanks.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:26 AM

No problem. If the shop can remove the drive and it has a separate USB bridge card they should be able you pull all your data if the drive itself is good. Or, you can use an USB adapter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-22P-2-0-USB-to-SATA-Cable-Serial-ATA-Adapter-For-HDD-SSD-Laptop-Hard-Drive-/172368111572?hash=item2821f0a7d4:g:qLMAAOSwCGVX-OCA

The above is for 2.5 portable drives

For 3.5 drives you would need one like this which has a separate power brick.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-S-ATA-2-5-3-5-Hard-Drive-HD-HDD-Converter-Adapter-Cable-/131139498971?hash=item1e8885f3db:g:s-EAAMXQyY1TRO34

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users