Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using a router as a repeater and hidden networks

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Resilo

Resilo

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:54 PM

So under normal circumstances this should be an easy task. i am using an ASUS RT-N12 as a repeater

problem is when i change it to a repeater the network just becomes hidden network

and even after typing the correct SSID name (SSID name was rechecked many times it is correct) it fails to connect to the router.

I have logged into the router using it just as a router and there is no further configuration settings related to using it as a repeater

so im wondering if anyone who has more experience may know why i can't connect to the hidden network and if there is a setting related to using the router as a repeater i may be missing and of course if at this point the router is just failing?

A little information for anyone curious

I am a novice computer technician.

my education is a diploma level in Network Systems Administration.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:58 PM

found your manual here

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-N12_D1/E7901_RTN12_D1_Manual.pdf?_ga=2.8386674.117830383.1494960666-1248511837.1475693079

only found one reference to wireless repeater on page 25.  no configuration info provided

or what they mean by repeater is not what you think.  Could be the wifi is hidden because its used for the router to router connection and only WIRED devices can get connected to the internet.

if I look for access point I find on page 42 about using device discovery. might try that.

not much to go on.  perhaps there is a firmware update that enhances the feature set.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 16 May 2017 - 02:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users