Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating from 10586(1511) to 15063 version of Windows 10 Pro

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 HrcaA3000

HrcaA3000

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:05 PM

Hello, I have several questions about upgrading from version 1511(10586) to 15063 of Windows 10 Pro. I don't know a name of this 15063 build.

1.Should I uninstall my 3rd party antivirus?

2.Should I uninstall all programs from computer? I heard that some people had compatibility issues.
3.I am planning to upgrade with Windows Update Assistant(I had some problems with Windows Update)(it says that my computer is compatible),so will Windows Update Assistant remove my programs?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:57 PM

1. I don't think you need to uninstall it.  You may wish to disable it in "until I turn it back on manually" mode so that if multiple restarts occur with subsequent partial download and install cycles you know that your antivirus isn't interfering.

2. No.  If something is actually incompatible, or believed to be incompatible [some software vendors have not done the "marking" necessary to identify specific software as Windows 10 compatible] the upgrade will remove it.  You often have things removed that are actually Windows 10 compatible because of the factor I just mentioned.

3. It doesn't matter whether you're using Windows Update Assistant or going through the usual Windows Update mechanism for major updates.  Software removal, if any, is a function of the update, not the method used to invoke it.  I haven't had very many things removed recently.

As an aside, I have no idea exactly how smooth a direct Version 1511 to Version 1703 will be, or even if it will work.  You may end up being upgraded to Version 1607 and, once the cumulative update is applied to that, might have to use the assistant again to jump from 1607 to 1703.  I have never tried to skip a major upgrade and go straight to the next major upgrade, so what I've said is speculation.  Just don't be shocked if it's what happens and please do report back on how things went and whether you went from 1511 straight to 1703 or whether you went from 1511 to 1607.   If you do end up on 1607 I would wait for 1703 to occur via the normal Windows Update process rather than forcing it through Windows Update Assistant.  You're way past due for 1607, though, so you definitely need to give Windows Update Assistant a shot to see what you get from it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users