Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting a homepage in Incognito Mode (Chrome)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 joggiwagga

joggiwagga

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:43 AM

First off - yes, having a default homepage generally is considered to defeat the purpose of Incognito mode... however I work in a public library and we're setting all our public computers to default private mode to help cut down on patron credentials being accessible by the next person using the computer (particularly after the latest google login "improvement"...)

Most of the search results I get on this boil down to "that defeats the point" or "you can't do it."

Here's the thing.  I KNOW there's a way for it to be done, because out of our five public computers, three of them open in incognito mode with a homepage displayed, and two display the regular 'you're in incognito mode' message.  As far as I know I installed Chrome the same on all of them, and so I'm left particularly confused by this.

TIA!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,678 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:24 AM

It has been my experience that Incognito mode inherits *exactly* the settings you have set up for regular browsing but it does not store any information about your current browsing session past the duration of that session (or, for some things, even within the duration of that session).

I would try, while Chrome is in regular mode, opening up Settings and in the "On Startup" section select the radio button for opening a specific page or set of pages and then the link to allow you to set the page or pages.  I believe you will then have to fire up Chrome itself in incognito mode to have that home page present itself.  If you're already running in regular mode and request an incognito window you'll always get the "You've gone incognito" page.

Also, see this page:  http://www.guidingtech.com/57042/automatically-load-websites-incognito/ 

And this set of search results:  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+start+chrome+in+incognito+automatically

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 joggiwagga

joggiwagga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:40 PM

I already know how to start chrome automatically in incognito mode, that's been done for chrome (and IE) on the public computers.  I edited the registry so IE opens to the library homepage when opened in inprivate browsing.

I'd prefer not to use an addon for this, and before I set Chrome to always open in incognito mode the homepage was set as the library website.  Only addons were AdBlock Plus and LibraryExtension.  Yet one computer opens with the homepage displaying, one doesn't.  It's a bit frustrating.

#4 RetiredTeacher6s

RetiredTeacher6s

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:53 AM

By selecting the properties of the shortcut that starts Chrome you can add after the last double quote the following -incognito and this starts Chrome in the incognito mode each time you start up Chrome.  I have added after the -incognito another space and then the following www.google.com  When using this modified shortcut to start Chrome it will result in Chrome always starting in the incognito mode and shows google as the home page instead of the default incognito page.  So to summarize here is what the properties of  my shortcut looks like  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" -INCOGNITO WWW.GOOGLE.COM  Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users