Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot start Win8.1 -- BSOD 0xc000021a

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 rd985

rd985

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:44 AM

I turned on my computer yesterday morning.  I got a BSOD with the error code 0xc000021a.  I have tried a variety of techniques to diagnose and fix, all to no avail.

• Boot into safe mode.  RESULT: 0xc000021a BSOD
  • Enabled the boot log.  Log reported that these two items failed to load:

\Windows\System32\Drivers\SYMEVENT64x86.SYS

\root\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys

• System Restore (from the one Restore Point I have).  RESULT: System Restore did not complete successfully.  Unspecified Error 0x80070571
  • Use SFC.  RESULT:  “There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete.  Restart Windows and run sfc again.”
  • CHKDSK /r  /f. RESULT: No bad sectors found.  “Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.  No further action is required.”
  • Selected “Startup Repair Option” from Automatic Repair mode.  RESULT: “Startup Repair couldn’t repair your PC”.  The logfile SrtTrail.txt shows

Bugcheck c000021a.  Parameters = 0xffffc0000a4a17cf0, oxffffffffc0000428,  0xffffc000a38393d0, 0x0-.

Boot critical file is corrupt.

Repair action: File repair            

Result: Failed.  Error code = 0x2

Repair action: System files integrity check and repair

Result: Failed.  Error code = 0x2

• dism.exe /image:c:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions.  RESULT: The operation completed.  Revert of pending actions will be attempted after the reboot.  The operation completed successfully.”  Rebooted, but it went to 0xc000021a BSOD again.
  • DISM /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /restore-health.  RESULT: “The restore-health option is not recognized in this context.”
  • Tried to reboot with “Disable Driver Signature Enforcement”.  RESULT:  0xc000021a BSOD again.
  • Tried to reboot with “Low Res Video Mode”.  RESULT: 0xc000021a BSOD again.

My configuration is:

HP Elite desktop h8-1520t Intel

Purchased May 2013

Windows 8.1 64 bit.  OEM installed Windows 8.0.

Intel i7-3770 3.4 GHz, 8MB Shared Cache

1GB AMD Radeon HD 7570 graphics card

1TB 7200 RPM SATA HD plus Express Cache HP 16GB Disk Cache SSD

460W Power Supply

Thanks for your help,

Daniel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:33 AM

Hi, Daniel,

SYMEVENT64x86.SYS is a Symantec driver. Can you rename it via the Recovery Environment Command Prompt to SYMEVENT64x86.bad and see whether if you can boot?

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 rd985

rd985
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:32 PM

Thank you for the suggestion.

I renamed the driver as you suggested and rebooted.

I received the same 21a BSOD.

I double checked after the reboot and the driver still had the .bad file extension.

I turned on boot logging, rebooted, and checked the log.

The sytstem was still trying unsuccessfully to load SYMEVENT64x86.SYS and the dxgkrnl.sys drivers.

Thanks,

Daniel

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:01 PM

Hi, Daniel,

Rename the driver back to SYMEVENT64x86.SYS. Then, please try this method from Microsoft to disable the Symantec driver. (DO NOT disable dxgkrnl.sys!)

Use the Command Prompt option in the Windows Recovery Environment to disable the driver that stops the operating system from starting. To do this, follow these steps.

• In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
  • Type the following commands. Press ENTER after you type each command.
    cd \Windows\INF
    notepad setupapi.app.log
  • Note the date at the start of each new device or driver installation section. Use these dates to determine the last driver that was installed.
  • After you determine which driver was installed last, determine whether the driver is required to start the computer. To do this, read the information in the section of the Setupapi.app.log file that describes this driver. If the driver is related to the disk controller or to the chipset, or if the driver is provided by the operating system, search for the driver name and for the symptom of the problem on the following Microsoft Web site:
    http://www.microsoft.com
    Determine whether the driver can be disabled before you continue. If the last driver that was installed is not required to start the computer, go to step e.
  • At the command prompt, type
    regedit, and then click OK.
  • Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, and then click Load Hive on the File menu.
  • Locate and then click the
    C:\Windows\System32\Config\System file, and then click
    Open.
  • In the Load Hive dialog box, type
    Offline, and then click OK.
  • Expand System, and then click
    Select.
  • In the right-pane, locate Current, and then note the value in the Data column.
  • Expand
    ControlSet00x, and then expand
    Services. x is the value from the
    Data column that you noted in step j.
  • Locate the subkey that corresponds to the last driver that was installed. If you cannot locate a match, click
    Services, click Find on the
    Edit menu, type the name of the driver in the Find what box, and then click Find Next.
  • Click the subkey that has the driver name.
  • In the right-pane, right-click Start, and then click Modify.
  • In the Value data box, type
    4, and then click OK. This step stops the driver from starting.
  • Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Offline
  • On the File menu, click Unload Hive, and then click Yes in the Confirm Unload Hive dialog box.
  • Exit Registry Editor.
  • Restart the computer.
  • If the operating system does not start, start the Windows Recovery Environment, and then repeat step a through step s. You may have to repeat these steps until all the drivers that have been installed since the last successful startup are disabled.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 rd985

rd985
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:08 PM

Hi Bleepin' Owl

The setupapi.app.log only had a heading at the top showing the OS Version, Service Pack, Suite, ProductType and Architecture.  Note that Architecture is amd64 although my computer is supposed to have an Intel CPU.  The next section, entitled [BeginLog ], had no entries.

So on a whim I opened setupapi.dev.log

Searched for sym, Symantec.  Found nothing.

Followed instructions to use regedit.  In step 13, could not find a driver symevent64x86 or symevent. 

NOTE:

In the setupapi.dev.log file I did notice that at the end of the file there were a series of entries related to the spaceport.inf driver.  The section name and exit status are below:

Stage Driver Update: Success

Install Driver Update: Success

Uninstall Driver Update: Success

Unstage Driver Update: Success

Uninstall Driver Update: Failure

Failed to find driver update “long file name” in Driver Store.  Error = 0x00000490

Unstage Driver Update: Success

Thanks

Daniel

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:31 AM

Hi, Daniel,

I doubt they are of any use, but can you plug in a USB to the computer and copy the mini dump files via the Recovery Environment Command Prompt in C:\Windows\Minidump to it? Then plug the USB in another computer, zip them up, and attach them here.

Thanks!

Regards,

bwv848

#7 rd985

rd985
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:09 PM

Here they are.  The latest is from last month.  Nothing from this month, unfortunately.  I do have a ~500mb full dump on the PC.

Thanks

Attached Files

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:38 PM

Well, they tell us a lot more about the state of your system than I originally thought. The dumps mostly indicate STOP 0x0000007A: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR bugchecks, which means something is wrong with the hard drive or the disk controller. The dumps also say: "Memory Manager detected corruption of a pagefile page while performing an in-page operation. The data read from storage does not match the original data written. This indicates the data was corrupted by the storage stack, or device hardware."

Seems to be that your hard drive has been going down hill for quite a bit, and finally it went kaput. Suggest you run Seagate SeaTools for DOS... run the Long Generic test please.

#9 rd985

rd985
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:43 PM

I made what I hope was a bootable CD.  I downloaded the ICO of the SeaTools for DOS, and burned an image copy to a CD.  I changed the UEFI Boot Order to:

USB Floppy/CD

USB Hard Drive

Windows Boot Manager

UEFI IPv4 Qualcomm Atheros PCIe Network Controller

UEFI IPv6 Qualcomm Atheros PCIe Network Controller

But I can't get my PC to boot off the CD (couldn't get it to boot from my USB Recovery Drive either).  I even plugged in an external USB DVD/CD drive.    When the System comes up in Windows Recovery Mode I can access the drive via a drive letter and I can see the files on the CD.  I just can't boot from it.  

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:20 PM

Let's skip that for now. HP computers should come with built-in hardware diagnostics, which can be accessed outside of Windows by repeatedly tapping the F2 key at startuo. Run the Extensive System Test option.

Regards,
bwv848

#11 rd985

rd985
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:36 PM

I ran the HP Diagnostic System Extensive Test.  Every component passed.

There is a Solid State Drive in the system that's used as a cache.  Any chance that could be a problem?

Thanks.

rd985

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:56 PM

Is Windows installed on the SSD?

#13 rd985

rd985
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:26 PM

Windows is installed on the regular C: drive.  Apparently, the separate 16GB SSD is used by Express Cache software to store appropriate frequently used OS-related data. Then when the system boots up it reads some of that data from the SSD for better response.  It does other stuff, too.  https://www.condusiv.com/partners/oem/technologies/expresscache/

#14 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:33 PM

Hi, Daniel, :)

Interesting, never heard of that feature before. Honestly, I still have a feeling that your HDD is in some serious trouble. Do you know the manufacturer of the HDD (e.g. SeaGate, Western Digital, etc.)?

Regards,

bwv848

#15 rd985

rd985
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:54 AM

Hi bwv848

I checked the BIOS.  It lists:

SATA0   1TB  Western Digital WD10EZEX-60ZFSA0

SATA1  16GB  Sandisk  SDSA5GK-016G-1006