Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

erverquest freeez up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sbhajian

sbhajian

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 11 December 2004 - 03:30 PM

has anyone else had problems with nvidia's new ge force 6800 graphics card freezing up when you play everquest? It only freeze's up when you or another player does a spell with lots of bright flashing lights. Anyone who has experience with this, and knows how to fix it, let the rest of us know. thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2004 - 07:33 PM

This might be a driver problem. I am paying EQ2 and have had no problems like that (there are enough bugs and bad interfaces in the game as it is). Check Nvidia's site and make sure you have the latest drivers downloaded and installed. If that does not solve the problem, you might want to check the Station.com forums.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 14 December 2004 - 08:27 AM

first off
/rude jgweed EQ2 is EVIL!!!

second
About your problem is the card newly installed? is everquest newly installed? some people have problems with a new card when EQ was already installed. because it (EQ) didn't pick up the change you might want to make sure it knows what Video Card you have. in your options (ALT + O) you can turn down the effects and see if it still freezes. When you look down all the way and someone cast do you still freeze(First person view)? When you spin in a circle do you lag up a bit? What is your ping count at (F11). Just somethings to Check/try
there has been a bit of recent server lag (depends what server) But this has only been with large amounts of text (Rolling for Loot)

Edit: Yeah also check your Drivers!

Edited by LoLucky, 14 December 2004 - 08:28 AM.

#4 sbhajian

sbhajian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2004 - 11:43 PM

thanks for all the info. I am going to try all those things. My computer is a brand new zt computer with 2 gig memory and the top of the line video card nvidia 6800 gt and 500 gb hard drive and a 23 inch sony monitor. I spent a lot of money for this top of the line system which I read about in PC magazine and the results are very poor. It is not only everquest that is freezing up, when my child was playing sponge bob typing (to learn typing skills) it froze up. what a sad state of affairs. I mean sponge bob does not freeze up on any of my other computers at home or at work. I tried to contact nvidia to ask for help, and their web site says we do not sell our video cards to the public, so we cannot offer you any support. please contact the pc manufacturer. but zt computers which pc magazine recomends is a small company in new york, and their support staff do not know a lot. so now I am on my own. got this top of the line pc for lots of money, but it is no good.

any ideas on why the screen would freeze up when you get flashing bright lights on the monitor? any help is appreciated, and I will report on the result with everquest after I try all recommended options. Also I just got doom3 and it freezes up as well, just when bright lights flash on the screen. and doom3 says it works best with a nvidia video card 6800 gt, just like mine. and I did update all the drivers, but that did not help anything in everquest, or doom3.

#5 sbhajian

sbhajian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2004 - 11:46 PM

sorry it is a ge force 6800 nvidia graphics card that I am having all the freezing up trouble with. I would not have purchased this card or a computer from zt computers if I knew of all the problems I would have. So I hope to at least save someone else the frustrations I am having.

#6 rexifelis

rexifelis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2004 - 09:57 AM

do you have many apps? or files that you need to keep?
it almost sounds like the best thing would be to wipe your harddrive
and re-install windows...

barring this... you could boot into the bios (usually F2, DEL or ESC while
the machine is booting, before the windows loading screen comes up) and
see if there is a hardware monitor area... where you can observe the
temprature of vital components, the voltage going to both your CPU
and motherboard... the manual that came with the machine (about
your motherboard) will have the specs that are "safe operating ranges".
you might have to leave it up and running for about 10-30 minutes.
it could be something as simple as someone forgot to plug in the
cpu fan at the factory...

also... if you feel confident in opening the case to your machine,
make sure that nothing is blocking the operation of the fan on your
video card... and possibly check the other fans in the case... there are
as many as 5+ fans in high end cases...

hope this helps

--rex
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."
--Florence Ambrose
Freefall (gooood webcomic)
reference to the specific strip that my quote came from.

#7 sbhajian

sbhajian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2004 - 12:29 PM

Hi, I would like to report that the reply from lolucky to my problem helped me to fix the problem. In everquest I do not freeze up anymore. All I had to do is go to the game and press alt and O and turn down all the diffrent settings for display and then adjust them a few times and now I can play everquest for hours and the dispaly does not freeze up when casting spells. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I did not have to reinstall all my software, as this is a brand new computer anyway. I have not tried to play doom3 yet or sponge bob typing, so I don't know if the settings I put in everquest will help with the other games. I suspect those settings were for only everquest. I will need to find out still how to lower the effects in those games so they will not freeze up. THanks again for your usefull information which helped me a lot with everquest. merry chirstmas.

#8 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 23 December 2004 - 12:53 PM

Not a problem glad i could help
You are correct those settings are only for EverQuest. i wouldn't doubt Doom3 has as well, but i don't know that one. as for Sponge Bob typing. i haven't seen the game so i couldn't tell or not, but i would suspect there is something in it to make it less intensive other wise people wouldn't buy it =)

Enjoy EQ Down with EQ2! =)

Panacinos - Rallos Zek (Proud Member of Wudan)
if you would like to send me a tell if you have anymore questions i'm normally on from 5:30 PM - 12AM EST
;tell rallos.panacinos <message>
I'm a heavy raider so might take me a bit to respond

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2004 - 10:43 PM

Almost all recent games will have a series of settings you can modify to increase performance if you need to. Most of the time, you sacrifice some sharpness in video for better game play.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users