Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrator can not take ownership of his files and folders

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 My-Dear-Friend

My-Dear-Friend

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:08 AM

I have a Windows 7 desktop computer, I am the only user, with administrative rights. Today I installed a new HDD from another my Windows 7 computer. Now on this HDD I can not access my files and folders in the "Desktop" folder.

When I double click such folder I get a message: "You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder". After I click "Continue" I get a message: "You have been denied permission to access this folder. To gain access to this folder you will need to use the security tab." Then I open the "Security" tab, click "Advanced" button, open "Owner" tab, the tab shows: "Current owner: Unable to display current owner.". After I click "Edit" button, I get a message: "You only have permission to view the current owner". After I click "OK" button, a new window shows "Current owner: S-1-5-21-3867894240-3762958599-2688463192-1000" and no option to change that.

The same happens when I try to open or take ownership of my files in the "Desktop" folder.

At the same time I can open files and folders in other directories on that HDD.

How can I take ownership of my files and folders?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:03 AM

Have you tried taking ownership this way: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3841-add-take-ownership-context-menu-windows-10-a.html?

#3 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:54 PM

How can I take ownership of my files and folders?

This might help you understand what's going on.  Those aren't "your" files and folders.  The owner of those files and folders is the owner from the account on the other computer.  In order for you to "own" them, you have to take ownership away from whatever account is listed as being the current owner, and replace that information with your account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users