Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could I have spyware on my computer?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 _Schizo

_Schizo

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:14 AM

So recently(ish), I had to reinstall Windows (I don't remember why), but when I went to do that, my Windows disk had stopped working...

I did have a flash drive with Windows on it, but it was given to me by a person who is infamous for putting spyware onto people's computers.

I decided to use it, having a computer with spyware on it is better than just not having a computer.

After I used it (that was a month or so ago), I went and downloaded a few different programs to scan for any spyware that might be on my computer, but they didn't find anything.

Just today, for whatever reason, I decided to look again.

I ran Malewarebytes, and it didn't find anything. I ran a full scan and a boot-time scan using Avast, and they didn't find anything, either.

I still find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have tried to put any spyware on here.

Do you think I'm okay and just being paranoid, or do you think I still could have something on my computer that the programs just weren't finding?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:00 AM

So was this someone else`s Version of Windows or an ISO.

If he was Infamous for adding Spyware to Setup Disks - why take the chance ?  Or is it a Pirated Version ?

If you have a Valid Product Key for your PC then Download your Version from Microsoft and install that with your Key.

#3 _Schizo

_Schizo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:30 PM

I'm not sure. It's just a flash drive he mailed me with a copy of WIndows 7 on it.

I used it because I couldn't afford a new copy of Windows, so it was either not be able to use my computer, or just deal with having spyware.

I figured the latter was the lesser evil.

And the product key for my copy of Windows isn't valid... It's on like 12 different computers >.>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users