Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smart TVs vs. All-in-One PCs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:11 AM

possibly a really stupid question

What's the difference between a high-end Smart TV and a low-end All-in-One computer, apart from image quality?:)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:15 AM

for web surifing, not much...

But it is a tad difficult installing Battlefield 1 on a Samsung TV!

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:29 AM

possibly a really stupid question

What's the difference between a high-end Smart TV and a low-end All-in-One computer, apart from image quality? :)

You will be able to do the full range of computing tasks on the all-in-one computer (maybe not graphics intensive games depending on the graphics system in the all-in-one), where as you won't with the Smart TV. You will be able to media type tasks for sure with the SmartTV (i.e. view pictures, stream videos, even play some games), but will not be able to do much editing of pictures (unless you can find an online editor that will work with the SmartTV browser), word processing or spreadsheets (again unless the SmartTV's browser can use with Google Docs or the online version of Office), etc. In other words, you will only be able to do a subset of things with the SmartTV compared to the all-in-one in terms of computing type tasks.

And for what computing type task the SmartTV can do, they will typically be SLOOOOOOOWWWWWW. In my experience, browsers on a SmartTV are SLOOOOWWWWW. And they may not be compatible with all sites.

Of course, the SmartTV can be used to watch TV, while likely most all all-in-one computers will not offer that as most do not come with a turner (although some do).

And last, generally a SmartTV will have a MUCH bigger screen than an all-in-one computer (likely what you meant when you said image quality). Generally, small TVs that are similar in size to an all-in-one screen size are NOT SmartTVs. And all-in-one computers typically are going to have screens that are 30" or less.

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:41 AM

I see. So, if Microsoft were to release a Smart TV with a powerful CPU, RAM & Storage by contemporary standards and run a Windows 10 OS on it with some TV functionality, it would basically render All-in-One PCs useless.
Thank you.:)

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:12 AM

I see. So, if Microsoft were to release a Smart TV with a powerful CPU, RAM & Storage by contemporary standards and run a Windows 10 OS on it with some TV functionality, it would basically render All-in-One PCs useless.
Thank you. :)

A SmartTV of that nature would then likely be rather expensive (i.e. at least the cost of a typical all-in-one plus whatever price increase needed to account for a larger screen that SmartTVs typically have). And considering that all of Microsoft's computers (with the exception of the now dead Surface RT and maybe the entry model Surface Laptop) are likely more than just "rather expensive" (i.e. consider that the entry level Surface Studio STARTS at $3000, you are likely looking at similar costs or higher for a Microsoft SmartTV that can run full Windows.

Of course, then there is still the issue where you sit relative to the screen. If you want to sit in front of a SmartTV like a computer (i.e. a foot or two), then a 1080p 40+" SmartTV screen will be blurry (the bigger the screen, the more blurry it will be). In that type of situation you would want a 4K screen, which then also increases the price. And there is still the fact that using a 40+" screen when sitting 1 to 2 feet in front of it is kind of awkward (at least it would seem that way to me). Of course, using a 30" or less computer screen to watch TV or other videos when sitting at a TV distance (i.e. 6 feet or more) is not idea these days for many people (although I grew up watching a lousy resolution, aka 480i, 19" analog TV with rabbit ears and only about 6 stations, so every thing is relative).

The point is that at the end of the day, devices that try to do "everything" generally do not do all those tasks as well a separate devices that are more designed for the specific task.

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:05 PM

The point is that at the end of the day, devices that try to do "everything" generally do not do all those tasks as well a separate devices that are more designed for the specific task.

I honestly couldn't agree more!:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users