Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Edit system.ni" yields a blank box with no text in command prompt WIN98

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tls321

tls321

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:55 PM

Hello, I recently came into contact with a Windows Vista laptop, and after realizing I have no use for Vista, I installed Windows 98 onto it. After a flawless install, I am greeted by an "insufficient memory" error on startup. I have read up on this issue, and it is said that you could solve this by editing the system.ini file from the command prompt. As I am unable to start up into Windows 98, I boot from the command prompt only, and type "edit system.ini". After doing this, I am greeted by a blank blue box where text should appear, but does not. It is a blank box, I can type into it, but no text is shown. Using the find command yields no results for the text I am suppose to edit to fix this. I have also typed "edit win.ini", which is also blank. I have also reinstalled 98, but this does nothing different. I have read many articles, and all assume you actually HAVE TEXT in the window to edit. I am at a loss here, been wasting about 2 hours trying to fix this damned issue that seemingly nobody else has. Any help as soon as possible would be most helpful. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 18,177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:23 PM

When you open command prompt is C:\Windows shown at the prompt? System.ini is located in the Windows folder.

#3 tls321

tls321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:27 PM

Hold on

#4 tls321

tls321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:29 PM

It says C:\> before you type anything

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 18,177 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:32 PM

You need to type  

cd C:\Windows

Then edit system.ini

I think your memory problem is because of the know bug.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/333688.html

Depending on the computer specs you may want to install a linux distro which allows easier internet access. Setting up wifi on Windows 98 is not easy.

How much RAM does the computer have and what is the make and model?

#6 tls321

tls321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:40 PM

Thanks man, you saved me out of quite a pickle, I feel like such an idiot!  :thumbup2: BTW, I was planning on using a USB stick to grab some of my games for the laptop.  I can get back to you in a bit on my make and model if that would help me in this, because I have the official support page from Microsoft tabbed on this issue. I also heard Linux doesn't exactly have support for most Windows software, so I don't think what would help me much in my situation.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 18,177 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:44 PM

No problem. I am not sure a computer with Vista would have the power to run a VM but if the RAM is sufficient you could have linux as the main OS and run Windows 98 in a VM using Virtual Box.

But, if you only plan on running old games then I would stick with what you have now.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 May 2017 - 08:44 PM.

#8 tls321

tls321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:47 PM

Thanks for the info, I'll consider Linux if this doesn't work out, I always ran 98 on it's original hardware, so this was something I would have never considered. Thanks again for your help, I can see this community is very helpful from the start!  :lol:

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 18,177 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:49 PM

Your Welcome, good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users